En Route with Hank in Japan and the Westerdam

Hlitner

23 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

No word in over 24 hours from either @Hlitner or @cruisemom42.

I can think of only 2 alternatives, either the ship has sunk 😢, or there is no longer an internet connection good enough for them to post.

I'm thinking 2.  It's always interesting to see people jump to conclusions. I remember one time s float plane went down in Alaska and someone stopped posting at the same time.  The person came back a couple days none the wiser. People were freaking out it was this person.  

• Haha 1

Internet not very good.  Yesterday was a normal sea day with lots of fog.  Last evening was a dressy night with the usual tenderloin/shrimp combo in the MDR.  DW and I had another fun dinner table with a Canadian couple (Vancouver Island) and a couple from Sydney, AU.

we have just docked in Otaru where everyone must again have a face to face with Japanese officials.  This process will likely take many hours and put many into a foul mood.  Japan forces cruise ships to leave their country (cabotage laws) and requires everyone to go through both exit and entrance procedures.  The other day many passengers queued up at 6am to get a low number (order for processing).  Apparently it was an awful situation for those who wanted a low number.  DW and I could care less about Otaru, so avoided all the hassles.  Today we will wait until the afternoon (with short queues) and might walk around town for a couple of hours.  

Hank

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Internet not very good.  Yesterday was a normal sea day with lots of fog.  Last evening was a dressy night with the usual tenderloin/shrimp combo in the MDR.  DW and I had another fun dinner table with a Canadian couple (Vancouver Island) and a couple from Sydney, AU.

we have just docked in Otaru where everyone must again have a face to face with Japanese officials.  This process will likely take many hours and put many into a foul mood.  Japan forces cruise ships to leave their country (cabotage laws) and requires everyone to go through both exit and entrance procedures.  The other day many passengers queued up at 6am to get a low number (order for processing).  Apparently it was an awful situation for those who wanted a low number.  DW and I could care less about Otaru, so avoided all the hassles.  Today we will wait until the afternoon (with short queues) and might walk around town for a couple of hours.  

Hank

Hank … those were Baby Langastino Lobster not shrimp. 🤭

• Haha 2

We enjoyed Otaru,  where a lot of sushi chefs are trained.  Beautiful glassware and lacquered things.   I love my inlaid cherry blossom jewellery box.  

Sorry Hank, but it’s hard not to get the impression that you are not enjoying this cruise.  The customs is a pain, but it’s a known thing,  would love to hear what you are enjoying in Japan.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 5

Today in Otaru I used my last HIA excursion credit — both to facilitate an easier/faster time through re-entry clearance but also because I wanted to visit the house museum featured on this tour—built in the early 1900s to an incredibly high standard and Japanese aesthetic. To show off their wealth they also had a few Western style rooms, but the art and porcelain and furniture in the rooms were beautiful. Unfortunately we were not allowed to take photos inside but here are a couple from the gardens (including a zen rock garden. Here in Hokkaido the weather is still

cool and the cherries are just beginning to flower. Some plum trees (much earlier) are still blooming. As you can see it is still overcast and showery.

6A0A2B39-EA3A-4B85-BDAF-A75075960171.thumb.jpeg.4f6a06fe0fc395ee30da41d64cd12d62.jpeg

C7E17821-A1D5-4C67-81F8-555B2AB0E055.thumb.jpeg.d07289a99996c3d3f750f086dbc59c01.jpeg

After this the tour ended in town in a scenic area along the old canal and warehouses used to store the herring that made the town’s fortune. I liked the town, it had a low key charm. Wish I’d known about the sushi chefs; there did seem to be many sushi places around, along with hand-blown glass and other souvenirs.

44774419-7F0B-4E7F-A0C0-60FA76C4AA5B.thumb.jpeg.1ce89a2f4fbd1fa96767eac8622cc113.jpeg

6EE6A5C1-E86A-4D8F-BCEB-58FBCBA05D02.thumb.jpeg.11a0176864e59371471870cce7b11d44.jpeg

Last night I dined in the Pinnacle Grill again, it was not as good as the first time. Best part was the cheese plate. I ordered a tawny port to go with it; they brought me a ruby port. When I questioned it, was told they were out of all reasonably priced tawnies….

• Like 7

Howdy all,

An update on Otaru. Our Captain did a good dessert by getting us here an hour early.  Although we docked by 9, it took until about 1pm to clear all the passengers.  The Japanese had 18 immigration officers working who checked Passports, took index finger prints, and a photo.  During the clearance process we had our Passports checked 5 times.  

As I said earlier, DW and I had not battled the masses to get a low number, so we did not get off the ship until 12:30. It is a cool 52, overcast, damp day, but mostly dry.  We walked into the heart of town (about 1 1/4 miles and enjoyed

the interesting shopping area.  There was an abundance of sushi and sashimi places for those who were hungry.  We were off the ship about 2 1/2 hours since we did not stop for lunch.  Lots of very nice glassware in Otaru for the shoppers.

There was only one HAL excursion in this port that toured a local mansion and then the shopping area (where we walked).  That excursion cost $140 per person so we saved $280 by skipping the mansion.  For those who wanted to DIY, the local bus to the mansion cost 240 yen and admission is 300 yen.  In dollars we are talking about $4.50 per person to duplicate that excursion.

Hank

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I figured it was the wi-fi not being good enough. If the ship had really sunk, it probably would have made it into the news.

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I appreciate the information on the customs process.  I had no idea about it.  I was not born with that knowledge so I appreciate it.

ROFL.  Even we old folks were not born with that knowledge.  I do  think the Japanese are trying their best, but this society can be hung up on procedure,  when I saw 6 officials watching two infra red cameras I could  not help but wonder what these well educated officials did during 3 years of COVID isolation.

• Like 3

On 4/16/2023 at 11:15 AM, Hlitner said:

Evening fans ( all 1 or 2).  

Have there been any local entertainers brought on board?

We cruised around Japan a few??? years back and local entertainers were the highlight in every port.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 11:02 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I also took a peak at the dinner menu in MDR this evening: it appears to feature several “traditional” HAL items including their pea soup and a plated Rijsttofel. I will admit to only being familiar with the old HAL version of this dinner, with many separate small plates offered. Has anyone had a plated entree version like this??

The plated Rijsttafel (Rice Table in Dutch) is not bad, although not as good as the original, Usually comes with, yep, you guessed it, rice, beef sumatra, peanut sauce, krupuk (shrimp crackers), etc. What's unfortunately missing on the plated version are the skewered Sate Ayam (chicken satey) that's "enak sekali" (really good). Hope you had a chance to try it out  

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 11:07 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Update: Apparently we are missing one passenger. Captain announced they are “working things out with customs” and we will depart in about 10 minutes.

Does that mean the passenger is being left? Much discussion in the Lido where many are eating a late lunch, including me.

Means he/she did not make it back to the ship by all aboard time, so the gangway computer shows him/her AWOL, followed by one or more P/A announcements and a cabin check by a front office supervisor and security rep. to retrieve his/her passport which will be handed over to the HAL port agent prior to Westie's departure. So, yes, he/she will be left behind in the hands of the HAL port agent for onward transportation, at his/her own cost, to reunite with the ship at your next port of call. A not so unusual event, unfortunately! It pays to keep attention to that All Aboard sign at the gangway or your way out. A lot of folks will take a quick pic of that sign

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, C 2 C said:

We cruised around Japan a few??? years back and local entertainers were the highlight in every port.

I’m curious as well, we had some amazing Taiko drummers come on board in the past. 

Edited by bennybear

4 hours ago, C 2 C said:

I would have much enjoyed this too, but there has been no local entertainment brought onboard.

Many ports have provided some type of welcome or farewell (including the taiko drums at least twice) but no groups were brought onboard for a proper show.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I do  think the Japanese are trying their best, but this society can be hung up on procedure.

They just have a very different cultural norm. 

On the long drive to Shirakawa-go earlier this week we had a delightful guide who told us stories from every day life in Japan. On the one hand, there is procedure: she said that if you want to buy a new car that is not replacing an existing car, you have to confirm/prove that you have somewhere legal to park it - which kind of makes sense in a small country that has many urban centers with resulting traffic. However, in Japan they actually send someone around to measure that spot to ensure the car you’re buying actually fits into it.

On the flip side, though, she also said that her daughter accidentally left a 5,000 yen bill (about $35) on the counter at a 7-11 store where she stopped to buy something. She didn’t realize it until a couple of days later, but when she went back to the store they immediately greeted her and handed her back the money.

It is much more about integrity and the collective good than many other cultures.

I also thought it was interesting that kids spend 15 minutes every day doing tasks that help keep their school clean. It probably makes them think twice about tossing trash on the playground or writing on the walls….

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear you’re not having any onboard local entertainment.   We had the port side entertainment several places.  And we also had an all female Taiko drum group come aboard that was phenomenal.

We were amazed how clean the country is with nary a garbage can to be found.  And the polite acknowledgment of others on a train or even leaving a public washroom is something to experience.   My husband dropped a coin purse and it was immediately returned to him.  

1 hour ago, lissie said:

is this face-to-face interview with Japanese authorities every time you reenter Japan a hold-over from Covid - or did it happen in the before times too 

In 2019 we also waited a long time onboard in Otaru after returning from Vladivostok to clear customs. 

I think @cruisemom42picked a good place to use her cruise OBC for a tour.

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

They just have a very different cultural norm. 

On the long drive to Shirakawa-go earlier this week we had a delightful guide who told us stories from every day life in Japan. On the one hand, there is procedure: she said that if you want to buy a new car that is not replacing an existing car, you have to confirm/prove that you have somewhere legal to park it - which kind of makes sense in a small country that has many urban centers with resulting traffic. However, in Japan they actually send someone around to measure that spot to ensure the car you’re buying actually fits into it.

On the flip side, though, she also said that her daughter accidentally left a 5,000 yen bill (about $35) on the counter at a 7-11 store where she stopped to buy something. She didn’t realize it until a couple of days later, but when she went back to the store they immediately greeted her and handed her back the money.

It is much more about integrity and the collective good than many other cultures.

I also thought it was interesting that kids spend 15 minutes every day doing tasks that help keep their school clean. It probably makes them think twice about tossing trash on the playground or writing on the walls….

The Japanese are some of the friendliest and warmest (not body temp 😉) folks in Asia. When working the Amsterdam on her Grand Asia/Pacific voyage, one of the stops was Nagasaki. We had a Japanese gent positioned outside our gangway pretty much during the entire stay as extra (outside) security. When it became time for departure and just about time to take up the gangway, I went down one last time and gave him a metallic HAL pin as a token of our appreciation for helping us out all day long. My Japanese is pretty much limited to "konichiwa" and "arigatou gozaimasu". So I told him the latter and stuck out my hand to shake his. The next thing you know, he clasped my hand in the Dap handshake and gave me an embrace, just for thanking him and giving him a pin. Great people!    

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Greeting from Aomori,

We docked early this morning and the ship was cleared around 8.  For once, it was sunny and a bit chilly with temps in the 50s.  DW and I always knew, that if the weather was OK our priority would be to go about 25 miles to Hirosaki Park.  Today was the first day of their Cherry Blossom festival and it is considered one of the best places in Japan to view the beautiful trees.  

HAL had an excursion for $189 which had been sold out for months.  So, this was the perfect day for we DIYers.  We walked about 1 mile to the train station and caught a 9:10 train which arrived in Hirosaki about 9:45.  We could have taken a local bus to the park, but opted to walk (about 1.3 miles).  By 10:30 we were among the Cherry Blossoms enjoying the opening ceremonies of the park festival.   Many of the Cherry Blossoms were losing their blossoms (they bloomed about 2 weeks early) but there were plenty of others near their prime.  The park had a good crowd and we were delighted with our visit.  We also had a good look at the parks famous Temple (now under renovation).

By noon, we decided to leave, so we strolled back to the station, caught a return train, and were back on the ship by 2:15.  Total cost of our DIY adventure was about $30 (total cost for 2) saving us $350 versus the excursion.  That excursion did also visit two other places and included a lunch.  One of those places was a minor temple (we could have walked or taken a local bus if we wanted to visit) but we are now part of the ABT crowd, “Another Bloody Temple.”  After 5 weeks of Temples and Shrines we choose carefully.  

Regarding the missing passenger in Busan, it was a single lady who left her excursion group to spend more time shopping.  She got a taxi to the port, but the driver went to the wrong port.  They were able to contact the ship (which waited) and she made it aboard.  We heard the story from a bar friend who had spoken to the missing woman’s roommate.

This afternoon, visibility dropped as Japan was again overtaken by the Yellow Sand which blows in from China’s Gobi Desert.  This rarely reaches Japan, but this has been a strange year, climate wise.  Tomorrow our Captain will try to get us into Hokodate despite the forecast of high winds.  We know many on the ship want to go up the mountain on the “ropeway” which could also be an issue if it is too windy (and we manage to dock).  

Hank

• Like 6

I joined a private tour today in Aomori - as Hank said, the regular tours to Hirosake castle and park (supposedly one of the top Sakura viewing places in Japan) sold out quite early on.

Yes, the blooms were past their prime, but the brief blooming period is always a bit unpredictable. A few pictures from the park with many families enjoying “Sakura viewing parties”:

EC2F61AE-B182-4BF4-920A-DBA865605FF4.thumb.jpeg.66728486de0e09f0ccf0619d0d521a0a.jpeg

CDE2597A-50B6-4523-8121-477BAE082D9F.thumb.jpeg.5856b43525405864cf3ec9dc3b0256bc.jpeg

2CE9354F-5E48-4502-961F-31D59E947918.thumb.jpeg.330f3bb651c9007318f54c4d8f723ea6.jpeg

This tour also went to a place that showcases the other great tradition of this area, the special festival floats they create for an annual event called the Nebuta festival. Think of the paper carp kites you’ve seen, only a hundred times larger. Paper is put over frames and the floats are lighted from inside. The are carried in a parade by groups or clubs — guessing a bit like Mardi Gras:

2E1D45DD-70A3-4731-BF46-9F1943ED0E34.thumb.jpeg.086bef87d41119b9a83d6b90a315acc5.jpeg

248F0742-7A97-472D-AEBF-F33F97CAAB1C.thumb.jpeg.db6927eebcfdc1a74c364a460c241adf.jpeg

And no rain!!!  

Now I’m going to watch our departure, what the captain earlier termed a “tricky maneuver” with the wind that is picking up even more. 😱

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

After a fantastic day we joined a New Zealand couple for a truly enjoyable dinner.  We then went to the Rolling Stone Lounge, where we joins some Aussie friends to enjoy the excellent band.  All of us were upon the dance floor for a great time.  But that all ended

at 11pm when the music ended….on the entire ship. I guess that is a. Improvement on the nights when the music stops at 10:45.  Perhaps the new Hal marketing campaign should be “the cruise line where all the fun ends at 11.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Haha 3