Mafia style baggaging in Miami RCI terminal?

On 3/19/2023 at 5:24 AM, alfaeric said:

And people get upset of people carrying on their own luggage....

Was on Jewel last yr out of Miami where Family decided Carry Luggage on the Escalator. After rolling over top each other they ended up riding in an Ambulance to the Hospital

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, pcur said:

I am SOOOO not in favor of being "strong-armed" into tipping.  However, my philosophy (well broadcasted here on CC for 20+ years) has never changed.

Anyone who helps me with my (then) 50 lb suitcase actually IS earning their tip.  Multiple bags per person?  YES, I think a helpful hand deserves a tip.  Also, YES, BOTH the shuttle driver and the porter at the pier.

Silly me, but I actually appreciate them helping me with the awkward, heavy stuff.

Now, I travel with a 22" expandable and an under-the-seat roller.  I still tip them to help me with my bags.  Before I abandoned my 26", 50-lb, monster suitcase, I remember last year getting out of a shuttle with it, and telling the porter at the pier, "You're the best thing I've seen all day!!  THANK YOU!! Here's some money for you!"  He laughed and thanked me.

I'm against being "strong armed" into tipping or buying girl guide cookies. 😉

But if tipping University Profs ever becomes normalized, I might change my tune. 😁

Prof DirtyDawg wants a bigger retirement treasure chest.  

Free Pictures Of Treasure Chests, Download Free Pictures Of Treasure Chests  png images, Free ClipArts on Clipart Library

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Was on Jewel last yr out of Miami where Family decided Carry Luggage on the Escalator. After rolling over top each other they ended up riding in an Ambulance to the Hospital

Why do people do that when the elevators are as you enter the terminal in Miami.

33 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Why do people do that when the elevators are as you enter the terminal in Miami.

Agree. Staff even said, "Sure you don't want to use the Elevator" When they were getting on I made sure I wasn't below them, grateful I did

On 3/22/2023 at 9:38 AM, LobsterStalker said:

Per bag or per dropoff ?

I tip $5 per bag at the port, well everywhere basically.  My bags are heavy and roughly 70 to 75 pounds each.  I live both in florida and Alaska.  I drive to the port with the heaviest bags, hopefully only 3 and when we fly from Alaska, Alaskan air lets us do 75 lb bags.  So those babies are a toll on a persons back. 3 bags, I round up to $20 bucks.. I'm NOT lifting those suckers, lol. That's me and my tipping practice, to each their own. 

To be honest, I find this entire thread curious.  Why would one get a baggge handler to haul one's luggage?  What is the point? 

When you go on a cruise from Miami, unlike when you go backpacking, you do not need to bring a tent.  Nor a sleeping bag, nor a sleeping pad.  You do not need to bring food, or water filter, or a stove, or cooking utensils, or eating utensils.  Not even a towel or shampoo, body wash or conditioner.  You do not have to bring almost anything, because everything is provided for you: shelter, bed, food, drinks, etc. 

Because the weather is warm, you don't have to bring any coats, parkas, long underwear, long sleeved shirts, sweaters, etc.  

You bring a few changes change of underwear and T-shirts, and a toothbrush/toothpaste.  But what else?

Just exactly what do people take with them that it take up more than a schoolbag?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

To be honest, I find this entire thread curious.  Why would one get a baggge handler to haul one's luggage?  What is the point? 

When you go on a cruise from Miami, unlike when you go backpacking, you do not need to bring a tent.  Nor a sleeping bag, nor a sleeping pad.  You do not need to bring food, or water filter, or a stove, or cooking utensils, or eating utensils.  Not even a towel or shampoo, body wash or conditioner.  You do not have to bring almost anything, because everything is provided for you: shelter, bed, food, drinks, etc. 

Because the weather is warm, you don't have to bring any coats, parkas, long underwear, long sleeved shirts, sweaters, etc.  

You bring a few changes change of underwear and T-shirts, and a toothbrush/toothpaste.  But what else?

Just exactly what do people take with them that it take up more than a schoolbag?

free diving fins, liquids, sneakers, 1 pair heels, 1 pair dress shoes, snorkeling bag, 2 pairs hiking sandals,snorkeling masks, regular fins, metal water bottles, blowup beach chairs and portable tent take up 2 suitcases.  2 carryons for clothes which are rolled to fit.  We carry backpacks for electronics, passports, cc, and cash.  If we didn't snorkel and hike, yes, a school bag might work.

• Like 6

On 3/19/2023 at 7:17 AM, Kbonner said:

Currently on TA Symphony. We boarded the SY March 9th in Miami. Our hotel shuttle service brought us directly to the luggage belt in the arrival area. The shuttle employee unloaded all baggage and put it right in front of the running conveyor belt.

After tipping our handler, another baggage "dispatcher", white helmet, probably supervisor (unionist?), told us to tip him or the luggage will not be loaded . A total of 4 couples' luggage was put aside and only a forced tipping made him move to order a low rank baggage handler to lay the luggage onto the conveyor belt. He did this repeatedly with 3 follow-on shuttle buses. Is this the norm today with RCI Miami terminal? If RCI only would read this thread - I took crystal clear photos of the mafia-style  "supervisor baggage dispatcher" and the put hostage luggage for their convenience. 

I would have put the bags on the conveyor myself.  Or tipped him a quarter.

24 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

free diving fins, liquids, sneakers, 1 pair heels, 1 pair dress shoes, snorkeling bag, 2 pairs hiking sandals,snorkeling masks, regular fins, metal water bottles, blowup beach chairs and portable tent take up 2 suitcases.  2 carryons for clothes which are rolled to fit.  We carry backpacks for electronics, passports, cc, and cash.  If we didn't snorkel and hike, yes, a school bag might work.

Microfiber beach towels, towel clips, magnetic hooks, beach bag, book, snacks, hairdryer, clock, flashlight. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

I would have put the bags on the conveyor myself.  Or tipped him a quarter.

Very funny. After he mobbed us we wanted to put them on the conveyor belt by ourselves. Remember, the luggage was put right next to the running conveyor belt by the tipped bus porter. The aggressive union-Mafiosi jumped in between the belt and the luggage and denied us putting the stuff on the belt. He also forbid his "low ranked" helper to do so. And again he threatened us to "leave and forget" the luggage. So he forced us to additionally tipping him exclusively. After additional tipping, some of the group were allowed to put the luggage on the conveyor belt themselves or in our case ordered the "helper" with a hand signal to load the luggage from 6 ft to the running belt.

On 3/22/2023 at 4:16 PM, Ocean Boy said:

That is great for you. I, on the other hand, am quite physically capable and I actually prefer doing some things myself. I'd be happy to place my luggage on the cart. Lifting the bag from the sidewalk and placing it on the cart after I have managed to get it from New England to the port is not all that much of a help to me.

On 3/22/2023 at 4:50 PM, pcur said:

I never said I was physically incapable.....lazy, maybe......tired of the damn thing schlepping along and weighing me down....definitely.

This is not intended to be a counter-debate:

There is this thing called, "luxury", which has nothing to do with laziness or anything else.  I don't have to cruise in a luxury suite. But, when I can afford it, I do.  I'm more than capable to move my luggage from my car to the stevedore cart.  However, If I prefer to have someone else do it for me and, maybe, improve their lives a little, I benefit from the luxury that I'm willing to pay for.  When my cruise is over, the luxury is done, and I shlep my own luggage from cabin to car, oh, once I did pay to have a guy take my luggage from security to the garage (Miami), I had some budgeted cash left over.  

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

This is not intended to be a counter-debate:

There is this thing called, "luxury", which has nothing to do with laziness or anything else.  I don't have to cruise in a luxury suite. But, when I can afford it, I do.  I'm more than capable to move my luggage from my car to the stevedore cart.  However, If I prefer to have someone else do it for me and, maybe, improve their lives a little, I benefit from the luxury that I'm willing to pay for.  When my cruise is over, the luxury is done, and I shlep my own luggage from cabin to car, oh, once I did pay to have a guy take my luggage from security to the garage (Miami), I had some budgeted cash left over.  

If you enjoy the service you are welcome to it. I don't appreciate the "service". We should both have the option that we prefer. What you perceive as a luxury I view as an annoyance.

• Like 4

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

If you enjoy the service you are welcome to it. I don't. We should both have the option that we prefer. What you perceive as a luxury I view as an annoyance.

And you are welcome to your opinion/choice. As stated, my comment was not meant to be a counter-debate/argument.  Just part of the discussion and an option of how we can perceive it.  I guess, one person's "luxury" is another's "annoyance".  And I don't have a problem with that.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kbonner said:

Very funny. After he mobbed us we wanted to put them on the conveyor belt by ourselves. Remember, the luggage was put right next to the running conveyor belt by the tipped bus porter. The aggressive union-Mafiosi jumped in between the belt and the luggage and denied us putting the stuff on the belt. He also forbid his "low ranked" helper to do so. And again he threatened us to "leave and forget" the luggage. So he forced us to additionally tipping him exclusively. After additional tipping, some of the group were allowed to put the luggage on the conveyor belt themselves or in our case ordered the "helper" with a hand signal to load the luggage from 6 ft to the running belt.

I consider myself a generous tipper.  However, if someone is blackmailing me to tip we are going to have an issue.  I enjoy confrontation / awkward situations.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

Other than summer travel, when you fly from the north, your travel clothing needs are decidedly different.  

I’m surely not going to dress down from my at-home norm on a cruise.  Do limit myself on shoes & sandals. Have learned to pack lightweight clothing, often jersey style material that packs well & is lightweight.  The mr travels a bit lighter, mixes & matches separates.

However, I seriously cannot imagine the thot of not putting on clean underwear every day. 🤢

1 minute ago, keishashadow said:

However, I seriously cannot imagine the thot of not putting on clean underwear every day. 🤢

If you turn them inside out, they're clean again.  :classic_cool:

BTW, my son-in-law, lives in the suburbs of Indianapolis, in the midst of winter (~0's) he'll leave home in shorts and a T-Shirt to go to the airport to go to FLL or MIA.  :classic_wacko:

2 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

BTW, my son-in-law, lives in the suburbs of Indianapolis, in the midst of winter (~0's) he'll leave home in shorts and a T-Shirt to go to the airport to go to FLL or MIA.  :classic_wacko:

Somewhere, his mother is cringing over the thot of her child wearing dirty underwear…what if he got in an accident? 🤪

I admit to often just wearing a insulated vest & gloves in harsh weather when I’m driving, etc.  It’s the outdoor wait for the shuttle back to our car @ the airport, usually late at night, when I appreciate a warm coat…especially after my blood has thinned out from the warmer climes.  That first blast of icy air is a real jolt lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

3 minutes ago, keishashadow said:

Somewhere, his mother is cringing over the thot of her child wearing dirty underwear…what if he got in an accident? 🤪

Oh no, I'm not saying that that's what he does, the underwear part, that is.  I have no idea what he does with his underwear and I don't care, either.  LOL LOL LOL

It’s the outdoor wait for the shuttle back to our car @ the airport, usually late at night, when I appreciate a warm coat…especially after my blood has thinned out from the warmer climes.  That first blast of icy air is a real jolt lol

I hear ya!  Unfortunately, he doesn't think of the return trip, I guess.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

This post reminds me of when my high school sweetheart, now DH, would come on a greyhound bus to see me for the weekend.  He brought a brown paper lunch bag with a change of underwear and a toothbrush. I still married him.  Now he pushes around several big bags for me when we travel.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We tip the porters. I want my bags.  I do feel like they might hold them hostage and I don’t want to find out the hard way.  We tip everybody else on a cruise and getting there so why not? 

This is my feeling too (and hubby is a serial tipper anyway). We tip the hotel shuttle driver who picks us up at the airport, the hotel maid, the shuttle service driver who brings us to the port and the porter who takes our bags at the port.  Basically $5 each (I am not a pack horse & my bags weight maybe 35lbs X 2 bags for both of us).  It’s $20, I don’t care.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keishashadow said:

Well, neither do I. Every evening, I launder my underwear, socks, and t-shirt that I wore that day. By morning, they are dry. I typically take with me 2 extra underwear, socks, shirt, in case I need to change more than once or twice a day.

Every evening, I launder my underwear, socks, and shirt that I wore that day. By morning, they are dry. I typically take with me 2 extra underwear, socks, shirt, in case I need to change more than once or twice a day.

Other than summer travel, when you fly from the north, your travel clothing needs are decidedly different.  

No. When you are flying into Miami in middle of the winter from your home in Edmonton, Minneapolis, or wherever you call home, you simply wear enough cold-weather clothing to be comfortable going from your car into your home airport, such as long pants, hoodie, maybe a coat. Sure, I get that. I do that too.

But you WEAR your cold-weather clothes when you travel between your home and the cruise ship. You do not pack it.  There would be no point of packing your cold-weather clothes with you.