People travelling to the UK without a visa will soon need to get an ETA.

gerelmx

From what I read on your link, only the following nationalities apply, or am I missing something?

Who will need an ETA

From 15 November 2023, you’ll need an ETA if you’re travelling to the UK and you’re a national of Qatar.

From 22 February 2024, you’ll need an ETA if you’re travelling to the UK and you’re a national of:

• Bahrain
  • Jordan
  • Kuwait
  • Oman
  • Saudi Arabia
  • United Arab Emirates

More countries will be added to the scheme later.

Looks like they learned from NZ and Aus. who have done this ETA thing the last few years.

When I went to Sydney in December for a south seas Eclipse cruise I had my ETA printed out and ready with my Passport but the Customs agent smiled and said "Don't need to see That. It's just another way for the Government to make money!"

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, D. B. said:

Looks like they learned from NZ and Aus. who have done this ETA thing the last few years.

When I went to Sydney in December for a south seas Eclipse cruise I had my ETA printed out and ready with my Passport but the Customs agent smiled and said "Don't need to see That. It's just another way for the Government to make money!"

They didn’t need to see the printed copy because it’s electronically linked to your passport so they can tell that you already had one when they swiped your passport. 

I don’t disagree on the money grab aspect though. It’s free $$ for them. 

47 minutes ago, Cruise Gopher said:

They didn’t need to see the printed copy because it’s electronically linked to your passport so they can tell that you already had one when they swiped your passport. 

That statement about it being another way for the Government to make Money was a Quote of what the Customs Officer said to me.

ETA (Electronic Travel Authorities) are a common way of countries managing tourist entry from countries that they have visa waiver agreements with.  The US ESTA system has been in place for some years - as an Australian I have obtained an ESTA to enter the US as a tourist visitor.  They are linked to your passport so you generally don’t need to print them off.  So far as an Australian Border Force officer saying they are a money making exercise - he is probably right - the fee is partially paying his wages - I guess if you want border security / control you have to pay for it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

From what I read on your link, only the following nationalities apply, or am I missing something?

Who will need an ETA

From 15 November 2023, you’ll need an ETA if you’re travelling to the UK and you’re a national of Qatar.

From 22 February 2024, you’ll need an ETA if you’re travelling to the UK and you’re a national of:

• Bahrain
  • Jordan
  • Kuwait
  • Oman
  • Saudi Arabia
  • United Arab Emirates

More countries will be added to the scheme later.

There you go again Ken.  Presenting the facts.  Shame on you.  It ruins a good thread!😀

(Although it does say some other counties could be added later (after Feb 2024?).

• Haha 3

On 3/19/2023 at 8:52 PM, Cruise Gopher said:

The USA has been charging us for years to enter - looks like Europe is just catching up. 

• Like 5