Celebrity Ascent - question about Infinite Veranda, various upgrades - confused

psychtobe

Hello,

Looking at Ascent for 2024. One week Caribbean cruise.

Plan to get a balcony for myself and spouse, and an OV or inside room for two teenage kids. For the right price 2 adjoining OV could work.

When I look at booking I get all kinds of options and I am confused about what any of them or or whether they'd have value to us. We don't use the wifi, or drink packages, or go to the spa, or take many cruise excursions. We read, we use the gym, we watch shows, we wander around ports on our own. We might eat at a specialty restaurant once. I think some of these classes have dedicated public areas but it's all a little confusing. There are suites of various kinds, Aqua class, Concierge class, etc.

re: the food, the Ascent as the MDR and buffet included in the cruise fare. The CC review also says "several other restaurants are included" but doesn't say what those are. I presume pizza is one of those. Does anyone know what else?

Any other thoughts about the Ascent (obviously it's new so maybe speculative) or Edge class ships or Celebrity in general? We were very pleased with it during a 2 week S Caribbean cruise but that was years ago.

One other question about non-refundable deposits. If you buy a refundable cruise now, then cancel, then rebook, can you switch to the non-refundable deposit option then? Obviously prices can increase over time.

Edited by psychtobe

4 hours ago, psychtobe said:

Hello,

Looking at Ascent for 2024. One week Caribbean cruise.

Plan to get a balcony for myself and spouse, and an OV or inside room for two teenage kids. For the right price 2 adjoining OV could work.

When I look at booking I get all kinds of options and I am confused about what any of them or or whether they'd have value to us. We don't use the wifi, or drink packages, or go to the spa, or take many cruise excursions. We read, we use the gym, we watch shows, we wander around ports on our own. We might eat at a specialty restaurant once. I think some of these classes have dedicated public areas but it's all a little confusing. There are suites of various kinds, Aqua class, Concierge class, etc.

On several of the classes, the perks are automatically included.  "All Included".  These perks are a classic beverage package, basic internet and tips.  It seems you are looking for a class that does not include these amenities when you book.  You should compare the costs as you may be surprised how little you may actually save.

The free dining options also include the Mast Grill (burgers and hot dogs) and the Spa Cafe (light and healthier fare),

The Edge class ships have 4 different main dining rooms.  Each one serves a different style menu.  You can use any of these.  Aqua and Retreat class guests  have a dedicated dining area.  If you want to try a Specialty Restaurant, book early as they often  fill up quickly.

If you do cancel and rebook, you will be subject to the new pricing and perks that are available at that time.  Not what you had originally booked.  

Note the "balcony" cabins are, with the exception of aft balconies are infinite balconies.  They are window cabins, with a window that can open.  However if the weather is bad the captain will close the window.  Also, if the doors that are an entrance to this part of the stateroom are open, the A/C in the room shuts off.  I am sure you can see this on line.  

Also the ship has a few cove balconies near the front of the ship.  This is a balcony with a big round window that is semi enclosed.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Note the "balcony" cabins are, with the exception of aft balconies are infinite balconies.  They are window cabins, with a window that can open.  However if the weather is bad the captain will close the window.  Also, if the doors that are an entrance to this part of the stateroom are open, the A/C in the room shuts off.  I am sure you can see this on line.  

Also the ship has a few cove balconies near the front of the ship.  This is a balcony with a big round window that is semi enclosed.  

Regarding your statement in my bold above, this is not accurate. If the window is open, the A/C is off. The bifold doors have no effect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Not what our friends who just sailed on the apex told us.  

If you are talking about the frosted bifold doors, they have absolutely no effect on the AC staying on or off. They are not air tight by any means. The only thing that shuts off the AC is if you lower the window itself. 

• Like 2

Included dining venues in the cruise fare are MDRs, Oceanview Cafe, Mast Grill, Spa Cafe and Eden Cafe breakfast and lunch on sea days.  The pizza and ice cream station are located in the Oceanview cafe and included. 

If you don’t need the beverage package, wi-fi and prepaid gratuities then do not choose a Suite or Aqua class cabin as those items are build into the cruise fare.  All other cabin categories you have a choice of a lower Cruise Only fare.

36 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Not what our friends who just sailed on the apex told us.  

Your friends are misinformed. On all three Eclass ships the bifold doors are solely cosmetic and act as room dividers. They have no effect on whether the HVAC turns on or off.  I've been on all three E-class ships and have specifically tested the IV windows and bifold doors. Whatsmore I have inspected carefully the mechanisms on the windows and bifold doors. They work the same on all three ships.

Edited by kwokpot

With regards to a balcony cabin on the E-Class ships you should educate yourself on what they are and whether this type of cabin works for you. As wonderful as Celebrity is they are patently lying in their description of the Infinite Verandas. As others have stated the Infinite Verandas are an oceanview cabin with a panoramic window that opens from the top down midway. Using furniture, a different flooring material and bifold doors that act as a room divider you are able to simulate a balcony when you close the bifold doors and lower the window. But to be clear, unlike the Celebrity description, you are never outside, you are always inside your room. In other words what Celebrity calls being outside in a IV cabin amounts to standing or sitting by an open window in your own bedroom at home. What this setup allows, though is a larger room if you leave the bifold doors open. The panoramic window provides great light. This type of cabin would not be the right type of cabin if you really want to be outside when you want to be on your balcony. Remember, you are always inside, you are never outside. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For your purposes  Aquaclass and Concierge Class cabins don't need to be in consideration. 

The Fitness Center on E-Class ships are great.  I've never had an issue using them on any E-class ships. You should be able to use the locker room in the Spa to change in and out of your gym wear if you so choose to. Unlike the other Celebrity ship classes there isn't a sauna in the locker rooms. the locker rooms are somewhat removed from the gym; they are one deck below the gym and down and around some corridors. 

The E-Class ships have the most variety of included eateries of the three class of Celebrity ships. For main dining Celebrity chose to divide the dining room into four smaller venues rather than one larger two story venue. The decor is different in each space and for all intnets and purposes the food is the same (each of the four restaurants does have starters and entrees that are supposed to be representative of the cuisine theme of the restaurant and exclusive but since you are able to order any of these in any other restaurant the point is really moot).

Other included eateries are the buffet, Spa Cafe in the Solarium, Mast Grill, Eden Cafe, and Cafe Al Bacio for pastries and sweets. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Your friends are misinformed. On all three Eclass ships the bifold doors are solely cosmetic and act as room dividers. They have no effect on whether the HVAC turns on or off.  I've been on all three E-class ships and have specifically tested the IV windows and bifold doors. Whatsmore I have inspected carefully the mechanisms on the windows and bifold doors. They work the same on all three ships.

Yes i agree but i was told if bifold doors were open and window down even if you close the bifold doors while sitting on that sunporch the ac shuts off.  So you cannot sit on the sun porch with open window and have a/c on in the room

6 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Yes i agree but i was told if bifold doors were open and window down even if you close the bifold doors while sitting on that sunporch the ac shuts off.  So you cannot sit on the sun porch with open window and have a/c on in the room

That is correct. 

7 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Also, if the doors that are an entrance to this part of the stateroom are open, the A/C in the room shuts off.

This is the statement you made which I assume your friend told you that is incorrect. The bifold doors have no control over the HVAC. So whether they are in the open or closed position doesn't influence the HVAC being on or off. Only the window being up or down turns the HVAC on or off.  

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

That is correct. 

This is the statement you made which I assume your friend told you that is incorrect. The bifold doors have no control over the HVAC. So whether they are in the open or closed position doesn't influence the HVAC being on or off. Only the window being up or down turns the HVAC on or off.  

That can be a big deal if one partner is up early wants to sit on the veranda with a window open and another wants to sleep in.  No ac.  I assume this type of room works for some.  Not for me.  

20 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

That can be a big deal if one partner is up early wants to sit on the veranda with a window open and another wants to sleep in.  No ac.  I assume this type of room works for some.  Not for me.  

Exactly. I really don't see the point in closing the bifold doors. When I'm in this type of cabin if we want the window down for fresh air it's with the bifold doors open. In fact Celebrity is the only cruiseline that felt the need to install these room divider doors. The MSC ship that has these cabins treat it as what it is, a window. They don't go through the pretense with changing the flooring and furniture to create a pretend balcony. It's treated as a window that opens. Even Royal Caribbean's Icon of the Seas that has cabins with this window didn't put in the bifold doors. All they have are curtains to divide off the sace if you want to, otherwise they're tied back. 

Edited by kwokpot

If you are OK with the ocean view cabin, I wouldn't recommend paying more for an infinite balcony, which is basically on ocean view cabin with a window that opens part way.  Google for some pictures of an infinite balcony cabin. There is no separate pizza cafe. Pizza is located inside the buffet, Oceanview Cafe. 

• Like 1

so it sounds like an aft cabin option with traditional vwranda might work best for us?

i don't understand this magic carpet. if it's outside your balcony  do you not have a balcony anymore!m? can you walk from your balcony on to the magic carpet?

Is there anywhere to look at reviews of specific cabins? I know some are louder than others, beneath a dance floor etc and best to avoid but how to tell?

33 minutes ago, psychtobe said:

so it sounds like an aft cabin option with traditional veranda might work best for us?

i don't understand this magic carpet. if it's outside your balcony  do you not have a balcony anymore!m? can you walk from your balcony on to the magic carpet?

Is there anywhere to look at reviews of specific cabins? I know some are louder than others, beneath a dance floor etc and best to avoid but how to tell?

The Magic carpet is a moving platform about the size of a tennis court that is used as a bar/lounge, a hangout with amazing views, and tendering platform. It hangs off the outside of the ship and is never situated outside of any deck that has cabins so it will never be in the way of any balconies. It will only stop at decks 2,5,14, and 16. When it's on Deck 2 it's used as a tendering platform. You walk from the ship to the Magic Carpet then to a tender boat. When it's on the other decks you can walk from the ship onto the magic platform and enjoy the views, sit and relax, order a drink if the bar is open. 

If you enjoy relaxing outside on your balcony an Aft Sunset Veranda is the best cabin choice besides a suite.Here's a video:

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1