Quickest breakfast options on Norwegian Getaway for early tour exercursions?

Hello, we are doing Norwegian Getwaway in Europe and have some early tour excursions--for the super early one we are planning room service but for the tour excursions leaving at 8 what is the best way to get an early breakfast in and avoid standing in lines? Since it's Europe I imagine most of the passengers will be up and off the boat in the morning as well.

What is the best place to grab a quick breakfast and avoid long lines in the morning?

Alternatively, can you have one or two people go down to the buffet and load up a tray and bring it back to the room so that you are not standing in line waiting for a table?

Thank you

• Like 1

I've always brought food back to the cabin from the buffet regardless of cruise line. Other than that room service is the only way to avoid a line. Excursions leave at different times and people have different plans so there may not be as many leaving early as you suppose.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

First, there is an entire section devoted to NCL, located here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/64-norwegian-cruise-line/

Secondly, while we have not sailed on NCL, it is common practice for cruise lines to open their buffets and other dining areas early when in port early, to accommodate the high demand in these situations.

Lastly, nobody is going to say a word if you bring a try of food back to your room.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

First, there is an entire section devoted to NCL, located here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/64-norwegian-cruise-line/

Secondly, while we have not sailed on NCL, it is common practice for cruise lines to open their buffets and other dining areas early when in port early, to accommodate the high demand in these situations.

Lastly, nobody is going to say a word if you bring a try of food back to your room.

True, problem is there aren’t any trays, so might want a plan B, like bring your own tray.

We found the buffet was the quickest place to get breakfast.  We were in the Haven and our cabin was on the deck 15.  It was easy to just walk to the buffet and grab something quick instead of going to the Haven Dining room (which we did go most days, but sometimes we just wanted small and quick).

• 3 weeks later...

Gosh, I don’t think I’ve ever had to wait in a line to get a table at breakfast on any cruise line or ship.   I’ve had to look around some a few times, but even that is pretty uncommon. Maybe I just eat when most people don’t. 

And the buffet is indeed the best place to get in, get fed, and get going.  

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I’ve always opted for the buffet when at port early, the main dining room service is just way too slow for me. There is a supplemental buffet out in the American diner (formerly margaritaville) for breakfast that’s usually quieter than the main buffet if that’s too busy for your taste. The hours of the various dining options are shown on the back page of the freestyle daily. So you’ll know the prior evening what the dining options will be. 

On 3/20/2023 at 9:17 AM, mjkacmom said:

True, problem is there aren’t any trays, so might want a plan B, like bring your own tray.

I always bring a tray. And secretly enjoy the envious looks from others trying to balance breakfast for two…

• Like 2

You know, I never thought about bringing  a tray. If you are dining at the buffet by yourself, it is hard to balance a plate of fruit, bowl of cereal and juice or coffee.  Looks like IKEA has a TILLGANG tray for less than 2 US dollars. Guess I’ll make a stop there and grab one or two before my voyage. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 6:32 AM, formercruisestaffer said:

Hello, we are doing Norwegian Getwaway in Europe and have some early tour excursions--for the super early one we are planning room service but for the tour excursions leaving at 8 what is the best way to get an early breakfast in and avoid standing in lines? Since it's Europe I imagine most of the passengers will be up and off the boat in the morning as well.

What is the best place to grab a quick breakfast and avoid long lines in the morning?

Alternatively, can you have one or two people go down to the buffet and load up a tray and bring it back to the room so that you are not standing in line waiting for a table?

Thank you

If you are thinking of loading up a TRAY with food - BRING YOUR OWN TRAY !

On 4/9/2023 at 5:24 PM, Ellipooh said:

I always bring a tray. And secretly enjoy the envious looks from others trying to balance breakfast for two…

On 4/9/2023 at 7:57 PM, amygutman said:

This...this is BRILLIANT!!!!

Warmest, Amy

Agree......

I think I will be bringing a tray on our next sailing.

There has always been a metal tray in our cabin on the desk, holding plastic cups, some utensils, etc.  I've been able to have the steward bring me a second one.

Use it in my role as cabana boy for DW early A.M. >> coffees, danish, muffins, fruit.

I bought a package of plastic pastel colored rectangle trays.

They are big enough to hold a large plate, a smaller plate and one or two cups.

I bring one or two on any trip I go on even land based for the free breakfast in the lobby. People

are always stopping me and asking where I got it from. Makes life much easier

Edited by Peachypooh
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Seekup said:

The last time we were on the escape margaritaville was open for breakfast and quick. It looks like it's been replaced with American Diner. Does anyone know if it's open for breakfast?

I've cruised four times in the last year. Three of those on Getaway. I have never seen American Diner open for breakfast on Getaway. Our last cruise, in March, on Joy did see American Diner open for breakfast. I'm not sure if it's a Getaway thing or there was a change in breakfast service fleetwide from my Getaway cruise in January to Joy cruise in March. 

Someone is starting a live from Getaway soon. Perhaps they'll be able to post Dailies that show if American Diner is open for breakfast.

On 4/19/2023 at 10:43 AM, cruiseny4life said:

I've cruised four times in the last year. Three of those on Getaway. I have never seen American Diner open for breakfast on Getaway. Our last cruise, in March, on Joy did see American Diner open for breakfast. I'm not sure if it's a Getaway thing or there was a change in breakfast service fleetwide from my Getaway cruise in January to Joy cruise in March. 

Someone is starting a live from Getaway soon. Perhaps they'll be able to post Dailies that show if American Diner is open for breakfast.

We will be on the Escape soon, so I'll report back 🙂

• Thanks 2

On 4/19/2023 at 11:43 AM, cruiseny4life said:

We were on the Encore last week and the American Diner was not open for breakfast. And the Observation Lounge was open late (9:00ish) for a light continental breakfast. 

We were on the Breakaway last fall and the American Diner was not open for breakfast. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 11:17 AM, Seekup said:

We will be on the Escape soon, so I'll report back 🙂

It was open every morning, but only served pastries, and maybe some oatmeal. Very limited if you're looking for a hearty breakfast.