"Just" a Balcony. Will I Feel Like a Second Class Citizen?

land64shark

15 hours ago, TeeRick said:

In fact the vast majority of posters here do book the general population cabins.  A great deal of the ship is open to you to enjoy.  The Suite-only areas on Millennium are scattered around the ship.  You will not be able to use Luminae (suite restaurant) and the Retreat Lounge or Retreat Sundeck.  You will not be able to use Blu (Aqua restaurant). The vast majority of passengers are not in suites or Aqua.  Enjoy your cruise.  Santorini is special! Happy marriage!

Sorry I meant Millennium Class (M-Class).  I know the OP is going on Infinity.  My same comments apply across all M-Class ships.

• Thanks 1

You know what’s crazy. I know several zenith members that only book ocean view or less cabins and are quite happy. Think about how much money you save $5 k min. Per cruise

Take some of that money you saved and throw it around the ship in cash tips and see who gets the best service pool side and at the bars   We always bring lots of $1 and $5’s and believe me they notice. 

How about the specialty restaurants. You by a 3 to 5 day package for $500 and who needs luminae   

Don’t get me wrong the suite life cruise as you know is great but the smart money cruiser who cruise a lot also cant afford $10k per cruise and see the world at those cost   Maybe the big money folks or maybe not. Lol. 

Go have fun in a cabin. Look at the final bill for the return on money. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

The best part of Celebrity, for me, has always been the crew.  They are awesome and amazing and always make me feel so special.  We've done sky suite, Concierge, regular balcony and oceanview.  We have never felt "less than" anyone else, no matter what cabin we were in.  If there are fellow passengers who look down on others based on their level of accommodations, that would be their problem, not yours or mine.  🙂  I've not seen such snootiness though.  Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

• Like 4

Not at all. I sail inside only because that is what I can afford, and even I don't notice a difference. I only do notice a small difference when we sail Edge class because non-suite guests don't have any outdoor forward space. But on the Infinity, you do have outdoor forward space. Even so, it's not really an issue for me. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, land64shark said:

I am new to Celebrity. We are on Infinity in the Mediterranean and have a balcony cabin booked. I will admit that I didn't do much research beforehand as I was primarily interested in itinerary (I am getting married in Santorini on this cruise) and I was a bit surprised at the amount of amenities/areas that I cannot partake in. I can't help but notice that the vast majority of posters on here do not book the general population cabins. Will it feel like half of the ship is off limits to me?

I hope that you recognize that it is not unusual for cruise ships to skip Santorini due to weather (it is a tender port) and have a backup plan for your wedding.  

5 minutes ago, KEN31VA said:

I hope that you recognize that it is not unusual for cruise ships to skip Santorini due to weather (it is a tender port) and have a backup plan for your wedding.  

That seems more of a problem with Mykonos than Santorini. Especially on VERY windy days. We almost left as well last year but the Captain decided to stick around and try. The tender ride was insane.

1 hour ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

You know what’s crazy. I know several zenith members that only book ocean view or less cabins and are quite happy. Think about how much money you save $5 k min. Per cruise

To be fair, as a Zenith you can book a common cruise-only balcony cabin and still get so many benefits that it's the best deal ever. The way to Zenith is long and painful though.

We have sailed in a suite and balcony cabin.  We truly enjoyed luminae and then Michael's club. Of course the suite is larger.    We didn't have a retreat deck, but heard on S class ships not like e-class ships.  We will be sailing in a balcony our next silhouette sailing.  We plan on dining in specialty restaurants for dinner.  We like the solarium and will have no problem with a balcony cabin.  

Every cruise on Celebrity is a joy.

Edited by Cruise a holic

17 minutes ago, KEN31VA said:

Last year we lost our Santorini stop a month from sailing because of new limitations on the number of ships now allowed to visit per day. We were extremely disappointed, but this year when we get off the Apex in Athens we are flying to Santorini for 5 days. I hope your wedding plans there are not interrupted. 

Edited by terrydtx

2 hours ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

Take some of that money you saved and throw it around the ship in cash tips and see who gets the best service pool side and at the bars   We always bring lots of $1 and $5’s and believe me they notice. 

How about the specialty restaurants. You by a 3 to 5 day package for $500 and who needs luminae   

Don’t get me wrong the suite life cruise as you know is great but the smart money cruiser who cruise a lot also cant afford $10k per cruise and see the world at those cost   Maybe the big money folks or maybe not. Lol. 

Go have fun in a cabin. Look at the final bill for the return on money. 

We choose to save on an Aquaclass cabin and coach or sometimes business airfare.  Maybe spend a little on a nice pre or post cruise hotel.  But we are not frequent cruisers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

The way to Zenith is long and painful though.

Painful?

What part of going on enough cruises - on beautiful ships with wonderful food and entertainment - to earn Zenith status is painful?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

@land64shark

Be sure to have your reservation marked and noted as special occasion for your wedding!

IMHO, the liveliest, fun places on Celebrity ships are the martini and sunset bars open to all. 

My TA asked if there were any special occasions onboard when we were booking. I don't think he was expecting to hear "yeah, my wedding". So I'm pretty sure he noted it.

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Last year we lost our Santorini stop a month from sailing because of new limitations on the number of ships now allowed to visit per day. We were extremely disappointed, but this year when we get off the Apex in Athens we are flying to Santorini for 5 days. I hope your wedding plans there are not interrupted. 

Yes, I have thought long and hard about this. That is why we are having a secret courthouse wedding before the cruise, in case that were to happen. My planner in Santorini would have to do some fast maneuvering and set us up in Athens where we are all staying for 2 days post cruise. But being a "symbolic" wedding, it should be doable and there are only 13 of us. But I am optimistic weather will be fiiiiiine for us in mid June for Santorini. Fingers crossed!

• Like 10

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

What was added to replace it?  We lost Montevideo in our Patagonia cruise.  They added a second day in Buenos Aires.  Big deal.  My wallet can get stolen twice this time.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

What was added to replace it?  We lost Montevideo in our Patagonia cruise.  They added a second day in Buenos Aires.  Big deal.  My wallet can get stolen twice this time.

A sea day

2 hours ago, land64shark said:

Yes, I have thought long and hard about this. That is why we are having a secret courthouse wedding before the cruise, in case that were to happen. My planner in Santorini would have to do some fast maneuvering and set us up in Athens where we are all staying for 2 days post cruise. But being a "symbolic" wedding, it should be doable and there are only 13 of us. But I am optimistic weather will be fiiiiiine for us in mid June for Santorini. Fingers crossed!

Here is a link to a website that has fairly accurate information on which cruise ships are in a port on a particular day.  You can check out the day you will be in Santorini to see how many ships are scheduled that day.  If only a few you are probably safe. I believe the limitation is now 9 ships per day.

Your cruise guide to 1200 cruise ports (whatsinport.com)

10 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Wait, I had no idea we could do that😁 Pre Covid we sailed in Standard Balcony cabins and never felt like a second class passengers. After Covid with all we saved from not cruising for 2 years we decided to try the Retreat. You will love Celebrity no matter what class of cabin you choose.

True story.  That’s the real reason people started wearing masks.

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2023 at 5:13 PM, land64shark said:

I am new to Celebrity. We are on Infinity in the Mediterranean and have a balcony cabin booked. I will admit that I didn't do much research beforehand as I was primarily interested in itinerary (I am getting married in Santorini on this cruise) and I was a bit surprised at the amount of amenities/areas that I cannot partake in. I can't help but notice that the vast majority of posters on here do not book the general population cabins. Will it feel like half of the ship is off limits to me?

Hi Landshark,

We book inside cabins most of the time. We have booked almost every category available at some point , but overall we have been very happy with the insides. Never felt slighted or like second class citizens at any time.

Congrats on getting married , hope you have a great cruise 🚢.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KEN31VA said:

In emergency maybe the Captain would officiate.

• Like 1

In general we get this type of comment here on occasion like the OP's about feeling like a "second class citizen" or others have commented "being in steerage".  One's feelings and how they view themselves are one's own perception.  Nobody can actually directly make you feel that way.  Why have that outlook?  Who cares what anybody else thinks ?  

• Like 3

We have never sailed in anything above a balcony. When you are on here and see everyone talking about blue and the retreat areas, it sounds like you'll be missing out on alot. But in reality, as far as I can tell, those areas are near the cabins that get them. They are not on the beaten track of the ship. So, I've never noticed an area that I did not have access to. In the regular day to day of the cruise, you'll never see those areas so wouldn't even know you were missing out. 

• Like 1