Dress code adherence

migdet71

Others shouldn't concern themselves with what others wear in the MDR in the evening. That's all on the staff at the entrance to the MDR. Some staff do have the stones to stop those that are not compliant and will politely and privately speak with them. We took our first cruise in 1991 and our second with Celebrity in 1994. We've seen a lot of changes and I (wife included) believe Celebrity's current dress suggestions for the MDR in the evening are an improvement and offer something for everyone. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, m8zenblue said:

IMO, I have been on many X cruises.

Dress code is NOT enforced, at all.

We have seen folks in MDR wearing shorts, flip flops, tank tops, etc, staff did nothing.

I think staff is afraid to confront people who break rules, seen it many times over and over.

That was not true on our recent Edge cruise (three weeks ago). We saw (and heard the argument) a man being denied entry into Cyprus for breakfast because he was wearing a tank top. He was very upset and waited outside the restaurant until a woman in a tank top was allowed entry - then he became very angry and shouted that it was discrimination. The difference between the two shirts was obvious - his was a very loose-fitting shirt, cut low at the underarms, with words on it. Hers was a solid, nice fitting shirt that only exposed her arms. 

You see a wide variety of clothing on recent cruises, but they do seem to be enforcing the dress code in some ways. I was on the Equinox in February and never saw a dress code violation in the dining room. I can't say the same on the Summit in December, where we saw the same young man shirtless in the Oceanview on multiple days. I don't know if they eventually made him leave, but he was all the way inside the restaurant so he had to have passed by the "greeters" with hand sanitizer and table attendents to get there. 

A few years back on a cruise I saw a man in shorts and a T-shirt refused entry to the restaurant on the first night.  He noted his suitcases had not yet been delivered.  The host tried to ignore him, and turned to me.  I pointed to shorts guy and said, "He was here first."  He and his family were then seated.

I ran into him several times thereafter.  His suitcase showed up on the last night of the cruise.  Another guest had received it and just kept it in their cabin. (Who knew cabins were so spacious?)  I believe his story was written up on one of the travel sites.

I'm old school, so I bring a blazer, but I think this debate ended when airlines started charging for luggage.  You had three groups.  The formal people, the casual people, and the people who would dress up but balked at paying $100 bucks for a extra suitcase to haul dress up stuff for one or two nights.  It is not like "An Affair to Remember" where the guests dressed to the nines every night.  And some folks, like us, have added extensions where baggage is further limited. 

19 minutes ago, SoCalTraveler said:

A few years back on a cruise I saw a man in shorts and a T-shirt refused entry to the restaurant on the first night.  He noted his suitcases had not yet been delivered.  The host tried to ignore him, and turned to me.  I pointed to shorts guy and said, "He was here first."  He and his family were then seated.

Kudos to you. I always wear shorts and a golf/polo style shirt the first evening. No problem, ever. On the first leg of our 2018 Caribbean Equinox B2B cruise I wore shorts the first evening in the MDR. When leaving the MD approached us and politely and privately reminded me for the rest of the cruise, shorts will not be permitted in the MDR in the evening. I said no problem, my wife is way ahead of ya. We all laughed and he even sent a plate of chocolate covered strawberries to our stateroom the next day.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SoCalTraveler said:

I ran into him several times thereafter.  His suitcase showed up on the last night of the cruise.  Another guest had received it and just kept it in their cabin. (Who knew cabins were so spacious?)  I believe his story was written up on one of the travel sites.

I'm old school, so I bring a blazer, but I think this debate ended when airlines started charging for luggage.  You had three groups.  The formal people, the casual people, and the people who would dress up but balked at paying $100 bucks for a extra suitcase to haul dress up stuff for one or two nights.  It is not like "An Affair to Remember" where the guests dressed to the nines every night.  And some folks, like us, have added extensions where baggage is further limited. 

I had the same happen to me also.

I had not received my bags by 6:30 PM so I went to MDR in shorts and Asst. Maitre D turned me away, I tried to explain I had not received my bags, she wasn't hearing it.

Now, I cruise with slacks in carry on bags.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Typical expectation vs reality…I’ll repeat, I see dress code “violations” at dinner nearly every night.  I’ve been on nearly a dozen X sailings since the restart

Does it depend on where the cruise is located , and length of cruise on the number of violations that you see ? 

On 3/22/2023 at 7:38 PM, migdet71 said:

First time Celebrity cruisers, and we're wondering if the "Chic" attire applies to the entire ship or just MDR/specialty dining and shows.  We don't eat in the MDR, so on "Chic" nights are we going to get the stink eye for wandering the ship in nice shorts, sandals and camp shirts?  I've scoured the web site and it's not really clear on the subject.  Thanks in advance

I have sat in the theater on a "formal" (or Chic) night (dressed formal) and have had teens sitting next to us in shorts.  It certainly does affect the ambiance. 

On that same note, I have also been moving about the ship late in the evening dressed casually (already changed from the Chic look) and just didn't feel comfortable going into a lounge, etc - where everyone was still very dressed for the evening. 

The ship has guidelines. 

They are good guidelines. 

I don't believe the ship will enforce anything outside of the MDR. 

I think we, the passengers, just have to be thoughtful and considerate at all times, and hope that others are also being considerate.  And all refraining on being judgmental. 

🛳enJOY

• Haha 2

Just now, Boo's Mom said:

I have sat in the theater on a "formal" (or Chic) night (dressed formal) and have had teens sitting next to us in shorts.  It certainly does affect the ambiance. 

On that same note, I have also been moving about the ship late in the evening dressed casually (already changed from the Chic look) and just didn't feel comfortable going into a lounge, etc - where everyone was still very dressed for the evening. 

The ship has guidelines. 

They are good guidelines. 

I don't believe the ship will enforce anything outside of the MDR. 

I think we, the passengers, just have to be thoughtful and considerate at all times, and hope that others are also being considerate.  And all refraining on being judgmental. 

🛳enJOY

Refrain from being judgmental?  Well that means not criticizing other people’s way of dress which includes wearing shorts.  😳

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Does it depend on where the cruise is located , and length of cruise on the number of violations that you see ? 

All my sailings have been out of the US, however have done nearly the entire Caribbean, Alaska, full transit Panama Canal and the Mexican Rivera (have done Europe and Asia on other lines).  I believe what helps is to only have one violation, if you want to wear shorts, wear a collared shirt, if you want to wear a collarless shirt then wear pants.  I have seen folks in both shorts and tshirts yet it wasn’t chic night.  75% of the time I eaten in Blu, 20% time in the MDR and 5% in specialty.  The only consistent enforcement I’ve seen is men removing their hats, yet some put them back on after they sit down

Just now, zitsky said:

Refrain from being judgmental?  Well that means not criticizing other people’s way of dress which includes wearing shorts.  😳

It means if you see a dress code violation you don't act like an idiot. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

All my sailings have been out of the US, however have done nearly the entire Caribbean, Alaska, full transit Panama Canal and the Mexican Rivera (have done Europe and Asia on other lines).  I believe what helps is to only have one violation, if you want to wear shorts, wear a collared shirt, if you want to wear a collarless shirt then wear pants.  I have seen folks in both shorts and tshirts yet it wasn’t chic night.  75% of the time I eaten in Blu, 20% time in the MDR and 5% in specialty.  The only consistent enforcement I’ve seen is men removing their hats, yet some put them back on after they sit down

some put them back on after they sit down
really , 😱 that is so funny 🤣

we have only cruise TAs and EU never done a Caribbean cruise and not interested in doing one , 

and 95% the cruises are over 10 days so it is probably a type of cruising clientele

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer

7 minutes ago, Boo's Mom said:

And I have sat in Broadway theaters in the heat of a Manhattan summer in July for an actual Tony Award winning performance, in shorts. With plenty of others dressed the same way. Had no impact on the ambiance. I was looking at the stage,

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lorimay said:

That was not true on our recent Edge cruise (three weeks ago). We saw (and heard the argument) a man being denied entry into Cyprus for breakfast because he was wearing a tank top. He was very upset and waited outside the restaurant until a woman in a tank top was allowed entry - then he became very angry and shouted that it was discrimination. The difference between the two shirts was obvious - his was a very loose-fitting shirt, cut low at the underarms, with words on it. Hers was a solid, nice fitting shirt that only exposed her arms. 

You see a wide variety of clothing on recent cruises, but they do seem to be enforcing the dress code in some ways. I was on the Equinox in February and never saw a dress code violation in the dining room. I can't say the same on the Summit in December, where we saw the same young man shirtless in the Oceanview on multiple days. I don't know if they eventually made him leave, but he was all the way inside the restaurant so he had to have passed by the "greeters" with hand sanitizer and table attendents to get there. 

Women post here about wearing “designer” ripped jeans in various places.  I don’t know if any men allowed to wear the same thing.  Maybe they don’t post here?

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Women post here about wearing “designer” ripped jeans in various places.  I don’t know if any men allowed to wear the same thing.  Maybe they don’t post here?

When men rip our pants it is usually not in the front 😂

IMG_2876.jpeg.9db19360ae577da11afc2af823005d2a.jpeg

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Haha 1

Thank goodness ripped jeans are only stylish for twenties and under.    What about the pants worn way below the waist with underwear in full show?    I don’t like it when people don’t make an effort in the evening.   I at least hope they have showered/cleaned up so I don’t have to smell them.   That really puts me off eating.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

some put them back on after they sit down
really , 😱 that is so funny 🤣

we have only cruise TAs and EU never done a Caribbean cruise and not interested in doing one , 

and 95% the cruises are over 10 days so it is probably a type of cruising clientele

Type of Cruising clientele? 🤔so people who cruise less than 10 days and / or in the Caribbean are what in your opinion? 

Edited by C4HCG

1 hour ago, Boo's Mom said:

It affects your ambiance. It does not affect my ambiance. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Thank goodness ripped jeans are only stylish for twenties and under.    What about the pants worn way below the waist with underwear in full show?    I don’t like it when people don’t make an effort in the evening.   I at least hope they have showered/cleaned up so I don’t have to smell them.   That really puts me off eating.

Why do people think that tearing holes in their clothing is “fashion”?  The 80s called.  They want their clothes back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boo's Mom said:

We go to the theatre to watch the show, pay no attention at all to what people are wearing, but do appreciate how people are behaving, far more important. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Why do people think that tearing holes in their clothing is “fashion”?  The 80s called.  They want their clothes back.

Us young ones buy them torn. And pay a premium for it 😂