Panama Canal Cruize and Yellow Fever

colingu

We're booked on a Panama Canal crossing with Cunard during a half world cruise. Notwithstanding covid, there is no mention on the Cunard website about necessary vaccinations.  But on the Travel Agency website there is a reference to yellow fever vaccinations. Does anyone know (if any) vaccinations are required?

We did this last year. I got a yellow fever vaccination many years ago (it's for life) but I wasn't even aware that it's an endemic disease in Panama. Its mosquito born though - and   you won't get many bites as the ship is mainly moving. I got the odd one - and dug out the DEET  - good insect repellent is never a bad thing to pack. 

There is a chance that you may need to prove vaccination status when entering other countries.  I got the vaccine originally because I had no  desire to get a disease which would mean I couldn't drink again! Or maybe that was hepatitis - its was a while ago. 

Yellow Fever | Disease Directory | Travelers' Health | CDC

• Like 1

When you say there's no mention on the Cunard website do you mean it says you don't need any vaccinations or you haven't found that section?

In "My Cunard" in the Before you sail section it says-

"Travel health advice
The health and well-being of our guests is important to us. Therefore we ask that you carefully read the following information prior to travel, and arrange any necessary vaccinations or medical care before your departure date.

Disclaimer: Since travel health advice, vaccination and malaria recommendations do change, you should check with your medical and insurance providers before departure and check My Cunard regularly.

Vaccine information

We recommend that all guests seek advice from their doctor or travel medicine clinic at least six weeks before their voyage, with regard to their personal travel plans to obtain appropriate advice, prophylactic medication and vaccinations prior to travel. Please check below for any mandatory requirements. You will find up-to-date travel information on the UK government funded website at www.travelhealthpro.org.uk"

This is the information for Panama from that site.

https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/174/panama

• Like 1

Re Yellow Fever vaccination;

As Lissie has already mentioned  the Yellow Fever vaccination is now for life ( originally a booster was required  every ten years)  

If you have already had the vaccination and still have a copy of the vaccination certificate then that certificate should be kept together with your passport which,  'On World Cruise Sectors'  is held by the Purser department. Yellow fever vaccination is mandatory for all who pass through South America.

There is a dispensation to the above who maybe over the age of sixty + 

Yellow fever is not recommended for the elderly, however, one is recommend to obtain a letter of dispensation from their GP. This letter is acceptable by the cruise line and the port authority's throughout South America .  

9 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Re Yellow Fever vaccination;

As Lissie has already mentioned  the Yellow Fever vaccination is now for life ( originally a booster was required  every ten years)  

If you have already had the vaccination and still have a copy of the vaccination certificate then that certificate should be kept together with your passport which,  'On World Cruise Sectors'  is held by the Purser department. Yellow fever vaccination is mandatory for all who pass through South America.

There is a dispensation to the above who maybe over the age of sixty + 

Yellow fever is not recommended for the elderly, however, one is recommend to obtain a letter of dispensation from their GP. This letter is acceptable by the cruise line and the port authority's throughout South America .  

My contribution to the last paragraph is that  there is a slight problem with any YF exemption certs.

Mozzies can't read!

Levity aside, the lack of YF jab led us to cancel a S.America 72 day cruise a few years ago. We were more than comfortable transiting the canal without YF cover.

We looked at this recently. If you are transiting without stops then no vaccine is required. However if you stop, depending on the countries you then visit, you may be asked to provide evidence of vaccination. If I recall correctly, not all of Panama is deemed a yellow fever risk. Over 60's are advised against the vaccination (U.K.) as there is a risk of serious adverse reaction. On the other hand, do you want to risk yellow fever if you are not vaccinated. We decided against travel ultimately.

6 hours ago, colingu said:

We're booked on a Panama Canal crossing with Cunard during a half world cruise. Notwithstanding covid, there is no mention on the Cunard website about necessary vaccinations.  But on the Travel Agency website there is a reference to yellow fever vaccinations. Does anyone know (if any) vaccinations are required?

My other recommendation, apart from YF jab not required for a canal transit, is take a good Mozzie repellent spray and unfortunately, the best ones contain Deet 50% concentration eg Boots Repel Max.

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

My other recommendation, apart from YF jab not required for a canal transit, is take a good Mozzie repellent spray and unfortunately, the best ones contain Deet 50% concentration eg Boots Repel Max.

Why unfortunately?

11 minutes ago, colingu said:

Why unfortunately?

We've used Jungle Formula MAXIMUM for over 20 years, which contains 50% DEET.

But if you open a browser and use Google Search and type in "deet" you'll get these results:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEET

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/tfacts185.pdf

It is highly toxic. But my wife's reaction to mosquito bites is extremely risky, so it's a matter of weighing up the risks.

We went 2019 and couldn't get any sense from Cunard about was it needed or not.  Basically we were told what Bedruthen stated

14 hours ago, Bedruthen said:

However if you stop, depending on the countries you then visit, you may be asked to provide evidence of vaccination.

11 hours ago, D&N said:

It is highly toxic. But my wife's reaction to mosquito bites is extremely risky, so it's a matter of weighing up the risks.

Thats what we established too but we then found out people swear by Avon so Soft works instead so we took that.

49 minutes ago, Craigrlewis said:

Thats what we established too but we then found out people swear by Avon so Soft works instead so we took that.

I have tried just about every formula on sale over the years and no non DEET product is effective for me.

My husband however has found a marvellous non DEET solution to mozzies. It just involves standing next to me. Given a choice of my blood or his, 9 out of 10 mozzies show their appreciation of mine!!😕

• Haha 4

I am a Practice Nurse. 
Please go to Travel Health pro website. This is the bible of travel health. 
If you check under countries to be visited you will get all of your info there. 
YF vaccine risks are much higher for the over 60s. If the country you are visiting require proof of vaccination then you will need an exemption certificate. 
Countries where YF is a problem ie a risk to yourself you will need to be scrupulous with your insect avoidance measures. 
Hope this helps. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, sasmisjas said:

I am a Practice Nurse. 
Please go to Travel Health pro website. This is the bible of travel health. 
If you check under countries to be visited you will get all of your info there. 
YF vaccine risks are much higher for the over 60s. If the country you are visiting require proof of vaccination then you will need an exemption certificate. 
Countries where YF is a problem ie a risk to yourself you will need to be scrupulous with your insect avoidance measures. 
Hope this helps. 

We use that website as do many regular travellers.

My husband was eligible for an exemption certificate and I jest that mozzies can't read a certificate and so aren't able to bypass those with exemption but in reality, what is the point of going to a country, where a disease is an endemic killer, and not being vaccinated against it. An exemption certificate is no good if you are dead. That was our thought process anyway.

We are scrupulous in keeping up will all our vaccinations and would not have transited the Panama Canal, twice, if there had been the slightest Y.F issue.

12 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I have tried just about every formula on sale over the years and no non DEET product is effective for me.

My husband however has found a marvellous non DEET solution to mozzies. It just involves standing next to me. Given a choice of my blood or his, 9 out of 10 mozzies show their appreciation of mine!!😕

So THAT is why the mozzies never bit my husband! I have better blood!

DEET is serious stuff. I had so much on one time that I saw a mosquito land on my arm, and before I could swat it, it keeled over dead!

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder