Jeans for elegant night on a Caribbean cruise?

GatorSF

Hi all,

We're taking our first MSC cruise this May (2023) in the Caribbean. Checking to see if men can wear jeans to dinner and on deck during elegant nights / formal nights? Husband is a very casual guy and will not wear slacks, let alone a suit. What happens if you're not properly dress? Are we forced to stay in our cabin and order room service on elegant nights ?

Edited by GatorSF

7 minutes ago, GatorSF said:

Hi all,

We're taking our first MSC cruise this May (2023) in the Caribbean. Checking to see if men can wear jeans to dinner and on deck during elegant nights / formal nights? Husband is a very casual guy and will not wear slacks, let alone a suit. What happens if you're not properly dress? Are we forced to stay in our cabin and order room service on elegant nights ?

No one cares, MSC don't care.

We even had people in yacht club wearing shorts every night.Dressing up is just something to sell pictures, have the hair salon sell up dos, and to try and create an event out of nothing.

Other than that what is really the point? Walking around looking at each other thinking you are better than them?😁

You will get 1 or 2 people in a penguin suit on a Caribbean cruise who anointed themselves God of the dress I guess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, GatorSF said:

Hi all,

You will not be forced to stay in your room but almost every body will dress up and the whole atmosphere on the ship will be elegant and special. The elegant/ formal nights are an invitation to go like for any invitation in which that dress code is required. No one says you have to go at that invitation. If this kind of elegant events is not something for your husband he can freely decide not to go and have dinner for example at the buffet restaurant which might be more suitable to him. 
Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

These days many people dress casual on "elegant nights". Many lines now consider them optional. Don't worry about it. Just dress a decent resort casual and you will be fine. Only about half the people will truly dress up, some will dress a little better than normal, but many will still stay casual. These days we don't dress up either. Khakis/khaki shorts and a polo shirt are about it. You will not be forced to go to the buffet if you don't want to. Enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GatorSF said:

Hi all,

You will find this information on MSC website:
- Gala Night: on Gala Night, dress to impress! Whether that means a tuxedo, suit and tie, evening gown or cocktail dress, or perhaps it’s your very best jeans and polo shirt, your attire should fit your own level of elegance. The only thing required is your smile.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MM42 said:

You will find this information on MSC website:
- Gala Night: on Gala Night, dress to impress! Whether that means a tuxedo, suit and tie, evening gown or cocktail dress, or perhaps it’s your very best jeans and polo shirt, your attire should fit your own level of elegance. The only thing required is your smile.

I do not believe it.if I showed up buck naked with nothing but a smile, I could pretty much assure you I would not be allowed in the dining room.

Probably not the buffet either.😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, travelberlin said:

but almost every body will dress up.

That's what people who dress up say so they are not the only ones dressed up.

Many years ago, but not now, especially on Caribbean cruises. Two weeks ago, on Meraviglia I would say it was not even 25%. Even in yacht club it was only half but those same people dressed like that every night.

I always wear dress pants and a polo every night but I do not consider that dressed up or elegant.

I also don't take any pictures 😁.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

That's what people who dress up say so they are not the only ones dressed up.

Many years ago, but not now, especially on Caribbean cruises. Two weeks ago, on Meraviglia I would say it was not even 25%. Even in yacht club it was only half but those same people dressed like that every night.

I always wear dress pants and a polo every night but I do not consider that dressed up or elegant.

I also don't take any pictures 😁.

Nice for you. But you also do not seem to like MSC but despite that you cruise with them. So I guess you are not the typical MSC client 😉

Ivi

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

Nice for you. But you also do not seem to like MSC but despite that you cruise with them. So I guess you are not the typical MSC client 😉

Ivi

I love the product!  Hate the CS and IT. YC is great. Better than Haven.

I sail next month out of Saudi Arabia with them for 18 nights.

It was supposed to be my last but last week I drunk booked one in YC so I have another now.

Shouldn't drink in the morning I guess.😁

• Haha 2

The dress code police are a dying breed.

Any one who needs others to dress the way they want to feel comfortable are on the wrong cruise line and need to look inside at their inadequacies.

Only line left that is hard core dress code is Cunard

You get a mix of dressy and casual not just the Carribbean but UK and Europe where there tends to be more dressy types.

Jeans are really just regular long trousers made from denim material.

plenty of options around in multiple colours that can look a lot more decent than some traditionally considered "smart"

Seen plenty of tatty indigo blue chinos and some really rough DJ/Tux well past their use by dates.

• Thanks 1

I'm on vacation, I don't dress up. Sailed twice on MSC within the last one year, as well as 2 RCL, and 1 NCL. Never had a problem wearing nice jeans to dinner. Do people dress up, yea but more people don't. Just do as you like, nobody will judge you, or shouldn't either way.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, jame_g said:

These days many people dress casual on "elegant nights". Many lines now consider them optional. Don't worry about it. Just dress a decent resort casual and you will be fine. Only about half the people will truly dress up, some will dress a little better than normal, but many will still stay casual. These days we don't dress up either. Khakis/khaki shorts and a polo shirt are about it. You will not be forced to go to the buffet if you don't want to. Enjoy your cruise.

Oh cool. You can wear shorts on the casual nights? I do that on most mainstream lines and nobody bats an eye. I will wear long pants and polo for elegant (gala) night.

• Like 2

Threads about dress codes are fun 😂 and always the same.

However when I read about someone saying “I am on my vacation so I dont do this or I do the other”, I have to think about a very considerate person (sarcasm) on a cruise we were, who kept coughing and coughing. We were on an elevator and a lady asked him why if he was coughing that bad he did not use a mask 😷. His answer was “I am on my vacation and I do what I want”.

Ivi

• Like 2

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

Threads about dress codes are fun 😂 and always the same.

However when I read about someone saying “I am on my vacation so I dont do this or I do the other”, I have to think about a very considerate person (sarcasm) on a cruise we were, who kept coughing and coughing. We were on an elevator and a lady asked him why if he was coughing that bad he did not use a mask 😷. His answer was “I am on my vacation and I do what I want”.

Ivi

That statement is usually just a coded way for rude and inconsiderate people to disrespect others, unfortunately. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

My SO and I were on a Carnival theme cruise in 2008. It was a Cayamo folk cruise. Because the cruise was a charter rules for dress went out the window.

On “Gala” night I wore tux, wife wore evening gown. Others did the same. Dressing up is fun. On “ Gala” night others wore flip flops and dressed like they were at a Jimmy Buffet concert. Many of them complimented my wife and I. We told them they looked awesome and we talked about how much we were enjoying the music (Lyle Lovett, John Prine, Emmylou Harris, Brandi Carlisle). 

No one cared. On a mainstream cruise ship … you do you. We all think that sometimes we’re the main character. But we’re not. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We're going on our first cruise this summer. We're very casual, we don't dress up ever unless at weddings (and even that was a good few years ago), because there's really not the opportunity to do so these days. However, my wife has a few nice dresses that she never has the chance to wear, so we'll make an effort for the two elegant evenings. I won't wear a tux or even a suit, I don't feel comfortable wearing them, but I'll maybe go buy a nice pair of slacks, some colourful suede yacht loafers and nice shirt, maybe even a fun bow tie. My wife will enjoy dressing up and having the kids look smart for once and you know what they say - happy wife...

Edited by OmegaSeamaster
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 8:26 AM, GatorSF said:

Hi all,

I don't want to sound rude, please keep that in mind. Why would you want to attend an elegant dinner if your party isn't willing to dress appropriately for the occasion? There are plenty of other venues to dine at onboard that are casual, why not just go there instead? 

Will the MSC dining staff say anything to your party if everyone isn't dressed up? Probably not. With that said, someone not being able to wear pants other than jeans to dinner might diminish the atmosphere for the other guests that enjoy the additional ambience