Outside of the Explorers Lounge “permanently closed”?

photopro2

47 minutes ago, msualum said:

We’re on this ship and have found just the opposite.  The food has been above what we expected from reading previous comments, we’re found that we can be as busy or not as we want because there are plenty of activities.  Our first and only cruise on Oceania was in September and it was the most disappointing cruise we’ve taken, given the hype and comments we read on cruise critic.  The service and crew members were not nearly as good as we’ve had on this cruise.  Of course this is our first ocean cruise with Viking, but we have two more booked.  I’m sorry you aren’t enjoying your experience.  It almost seems like we are on different ships.  We’re very low maintenance so it doesn’t take much to make us happy.

in regards to your further comments about the pool, I feel the wind has been blowing since we left Fort Lauderdale.  Trying to walk outside has been a challenge and deck 2 has been closed off several days.  Am not sure where your cabin is, but we’ve been rocking every night, some worse than others.  Hope the next days go better.

Yes  it is amazing how you can be on the same cruise and view it so differently...

We just did 3 cruises on Oceania and it puts V to shame....yes food is very subjective but I have mentioned some facts that you can't dispute.....powdered orange juice, no decaf tea, 

Ice-cream that has no cream, so it's just water....these are not subjective....

Nor is the fact that you touch all the utensils in the buffet to serve yourself...on O you are served ..

For V to go from testing every day to touching food in the buffet is extreme....yes some skip the utensils....

I have only mentioned a few items that make V look like a very substandard cruise line...

We have never done the river cruises with V so I can't comment on that...

But Ocean I would recommend to no one.

Edited by jonthomas

I do wish Viking would return to the Covid days of serving from the buffet in the WC and pool grill. People can be so careless! How did you determine juice was powder...did you ever have breakfast in dining room ?  last year is was freshly squeezed...I did not know gelato was cream free,  I have had decaf tea numerous times.  BUT it has been almost a year since we last sailed.

Hope for your sake your cruise is over soon! 

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, deec said:

I do wish Viking would return to the Covid days of serving from the buffet in the WC and pool grill. People can be so careless! How did you determine juice was powder...did you ever have breakfast in dining room ?  last year is was freshly squeezed...I did not know gelato was cream free,  I have had decaf tea numerous times.  BUT it has been almost a year since we last sailed.

Hope for your sake your cruise is over soon! 

We had decaf tea on the Star last Dec/Jan.

Our orange juice for room service was not powder - it was freshely squeezed and even had some pulp in it.  tasted great.

Boy - JonThomas must be on the one Viking ship that doesn't do anything right.  Maybe he is just high maintenance.  

Best to just move on and stop complaining I guess.  It will only make for more unhappiness the rest of the trip.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 11

29 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

We had decaf tea on the Star last Dec/Jan.

Our orange juice for room service was not powder - it was freshely squeezed and even had some pulp in it.  tasted great.

Boy - JonThomas must be on the one Viking ship that doesn't do anything right.  Maybe he is just high maintenance.  

Best to just move on and stop complaining I guess.  It will only make for more unhappiness the rest of the trip.

Some people just like to complain. Sad but true.

• Like 4

you would have the powdered stuff from the machine on this cruise....in the buffet. We asked for real orange juice and were told this is the only type of orange juice that is served from the machine on this ship. It is a powder that is mixed with water. Can't speak for other V ships or other sailings. Can only speak for this one.

Met some nice people who are also making this cruise their last on V.....

Amazing how you get labeled a complainer the minute your view is different than someone else's....

The wifi is wonderful. 

4 more days to go

• Like 8

Things just got a whole lot worse...toilets will not be operational on several decks, stateroom attendants cannot predict length of time, have advised us to use public washrooms for the duration....

Those that have labeled me as a complainer would probably say, this isn't true, just my imagination.

That can happen often even on the most luxurious vessel usually caused by a stupid guest. If you’ve never had it before on a cruise line you’re lucky. It takes time to track and clear a problem count yourself lucky you’re not doing it. 

• Like 3

On 3/29/2023 at 3:40 AM, jonthomas said:

Beautiful day on the ship today....roof closed....just went to guest relations to have it open....third time this week I have had to do that....same excuse, safety concern....today flat sea, no movement, clear sky, no wind to felt....stifling with roof closed...

Based on the ship's position, you are experiencing 10 - 12 kts of trade winds, anywhere from E to NE. This can provide flat seas, especially when if you don't have any swell, which can also negatively impact the opening of the pool deckhead.

Therefore, based on the ship's speed of 18 kts, with wind fwd of the beam, you have about 20 kts of wind over the decks.

As I explained in my previous post, if it is flat calm, as you posted, it is impossible to have NO wind over the decks of a moving ship.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Things just got a whole lot worse...toilets will not be operational on several decks, stateroom attendants cannot predict length of time, have advised us to use public washrooms for the duration....

Those that have labeled me as a complainer would probably say, this isn't true, just my imagination.

For the toilets not flushing, you can probably thank one of your fellow pax for flushing something that shouldn't be flushed, compromising the vacuum the system needs to operate.

• Like 2

Wrong on both counts....no wind all day, roof open...it was wonderful...

The pipes are being replaced in multiple locations on the ship, that is why  water has been shut off for a while  and toilets were not operational....since the ship is not full, they are using this time for maintenance.....

Beautiful day in Madeira....

But all have to be on the last shuttle bus by 11:45....

Same for our other port in st Martin....

That was not what the itinerary said when we booked it more than a year ago....

Yeah, I know things change...

But to only have a hour and a half, with things opening around 10.....outrageous...

And what could possibly be the reason for such short stays in Port? I know the answer to that  but wonder what V diehards will come up with. 

To the poster that insists it is windy on the ship, captain says there is NO wind, roof will stay open.....yeah!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

Beautiful sailaway from madeira....not a cloud in the sky....

Jon

Since you’re aboard, can you advise if Pistachio Raisin Buns have returned to the morning goodie case in The Living Room? #NotTheOnlyReasonToSailViking

TIA!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Jon

Since you’re aboard, can you advise if Pistachio Raisin Buns have returned to the morning goodie case in The Living Room? #NotTheOnlyReasonToSailViking

TIA!

I will look into it...the small display just by the bar?

They have almond croissants there , breakfast only....same muffins every day....in fact same everything every day....

3 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

I will look into it...the small display just by the bar?

They have almond croissants there , breakfast only....same muffins every day....in fact same everything every day....

Correct-during morning only.

They are my favorite and other cruisers have reported that they are no longer available. Those of us who love them are trying to campaign to have them brought back so feel free to ask why they aren’t available if they aren’t.  Hopefully they will be and you can join our club.  Thanks!

DEBEA346-C74B-41CB-BA96-F1CB29A0392D.webp

• Like 1

I think you would have preferred that I had lied....what's the point in that..

If I had tried other lines and had found them lacking, I would be a V diehard.

If you have tried other upscale lines and you prefer V, then you are a knowledgeable consumer making a choice, but if you are simply being blindly defensive, then that has no credibility in my book.

• Like 4

On 3/28/2023 at 3:10 PM, LindaS272 said:

Sorry for your experience, but you’ll be missing out on other great cruises with Viking if you give up for just this happenstance.

They will be fine, there are other great cruise lines, with ample outdoor seating

• Like 1

We are not new to V. Would not make that kind of decision based on one cruise. We have done 3 and have also done 3 with Oceania, in the past 12 months. So this is a very well  informed decision. Yes we will be fine.

Edited by jonthomas
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, purpleally said:

They will be fine, there are other great cruise lines, with ample outdoor seating

Viking star has ample outdoor seating. You missed the point. You are not outdoors if the roof covers the entire area and it is hot and stifling. Many were not bothered by this as they preferred to stay in their cabin.

That is fine, it is their choice.  It is not our choice, yet.

The roof was open again today in fact there was a great rockn' and rollin' party....all on deck yelled for more. Complimentary drinks for all. It went a long way to mend the disappointment in having to be back on the shuttle bus no later than 11:45 AM, in a port as beautiful as Madeira. Now we have 2 days to reach Barcellona and fly home.