Did anyone just watch 'A Current Affair' about the lost suitcase?

I believe that Royal did what they could for the lady as regards laundry and OBC compensation. I also think that regardless of the reason that the suitcase didn't arrive at the owner's cabin, it was entirely RCL's fault. The passenger entrusted her luggage to the company staff or their representatives at the dock, as does everyone, and they failed in their duty to deliver it to her cabin. I also think a bit more compensation wouldn't have gone amiss, ordinarily $100 would easily have been eaten up on ship priced toiletries - moisturiser, sun block, lipstick etc. Tee shirts, sweat shirts etc would eat up more, however, oddly, it sounds as though the lady didn't apply the OBC to assist her plight.

I didn't watch the "story" so I'm only going by the interpretation of the other people posting here. First it sucks that the lady's bag was misplaced. Second how do you just stow someone else's case in your cabin for the duration of the cruise? Now we apparently know what happened to the missing case. Poor performance by the person who placed the bag wrong, worse performance by the people in the cabin who received the errant bag.

Now the reaction by the hapless "experienced" traveler, apparently unable to function without her stuff. First step buy a few things in the shops to get a second set of clothes. Now you have an underwear situation, like others have said rinse and dry every night. Set up laundry for overnight service, Enjoy the sea days before the first port as best you can with the limited wardrobe you have. Missing the sounds was a personal choice, I sure would have found a way to get up on deck to see that major part of my voyage. Now for me or my wife first port would mean shopping spree as soon as we got off ship. New underwear, socks etc. I'm sure an average sized person could find something to sort out the situation.

It looks like the "seasoned traveler" decided to be helpless and hopeless and not be proactive in improving their plight.

Now the story has aired, good luck getting any good will from the cruise line.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I didn't watch the "story" so I'm only going by the interpretation of the other people posting here. First it sucks that the lady's bag was misplaced. Second how do you just stow someone else's case in your cabin for the duration of the cruise? Now we apparently know what happened to the missing case. Poor performance by the person who placed the bag wrong, worse performance by the people in the cabin who received the errant bag.

Now the reaction by the hapless "experienced" traveler, apparently unable to function without her stuff. First step buy a few things in the shops to get a second set of clothes. Now you have an underwear situation, like others have said rinse and dry every night. Set up laundry for overnight service, Enjoy the sea days before the first port as best you can with the limited wardrobe you have. Missing the sounds was a personal choice, I sure would have found a way to get up on deck to see that major part of my voyage. Now for me or my wife first port would mean shopping spree as soon as we got off ship. New underwear, socks etc. I'm sure an average sized person could find something to sort out the situation.

It looks like the "seasoned traveler" decided to be helpless and hopeless and not be proactive in improving their plight.

Now the story has aired, good luck getting any good will from the cruise line.

There is/was an op shop in Port Chalmers if they were going that way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On a recent cruise we had my sons small suitcase go into the Brisbane river.

luckily I’d picked up tips on here. Such as laminate your suitcase tags. Only pack clothes in your suitcase. Medicines and electronics only go in your carry on bag. Carry a spare set of clothes in the others bag.

I burst out laughing when I was told to come to guest services. I found it funny and felt sorry for whom ever had to get it out of the water.

the cruise line wasn’t laughing with me but did everything they possibly could to resolve the situation. My sons clothes were all washed, dried and ironed that night and dropped off buy an apologetic person. He was just wearing his spare clothes and was none the wiser.

what benefit would it have gained me to be rude and nasty to the staff? None and I would have hated myself for it. Accidents happen and with this one it was sorted out very quickly. 

• Like 7

I feel sorry for passengers, cruising to Antarctica or on a World Cruise, whose luggage goes astray. Imagine trying to outfit yourself, in suitable cold weather clothing, from the shop on an Antarctica cruise  I've never seen underwear for sale on a cruise ship.  A passenger on a current World Cruise's luggage went missing and. after missing the ship at ports along the route, was returned to Alaska, to await his return.  He is a big man, so had trouble finding shirts/clothes of his size at the various ports.  

Moral of the story is take spare underwear in your purse!

1 hour ago, Obilix said:

Or go commando.

Just avoid standing in an up draught.

Hahaha, many many years ago, when the kids were young, we went away on a camping holiday in NZ. I forgot to pack my undies so every day after dinner, I would wash the ones I was wearing, peg them outside on the tent ropes and go commando for the rest of the evening!

27 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Hahaha, many many years ago, when the kids were young, we went away on a camping holiday in NZ. I forgot to pack my undies so every day after dinner, I would wash the ones I was wearing, peg them outside on the tent ropes and go commando for the rest of the evening!

I did the same on my recent camping trip.  But put my warm pjs, dressing gown, scarf and beanie on, as it was 1c and 2c min at Easter in Canberra.

On 4/15/2023 at 8:41 PM, Esilef said:

On a recent cruise we had my sons small suitcase go into the Brisbane river.

luckily I’d picked up tips on here. Such as laminate your suitcase tags. Only pack clothes in your suitcase. Medicines and electronics only go in your carry on bag. Carry a spare set of clothes in the others bag.

I burst out laughing when I was told to come to guest services. I found it funny and felt sorry for whom ever had to get it out of the water.

the cruise line wasn’t laughing with me but did everything they possibly could to resolve the situation. My sons clothes were all washed, dried and ironed that night and dropped off buy an apologetic person. He was just wearing his spare clothes and was none the wiser.

what benefit would it have gained me to be rude and nasty to the staff? None and I would have hated myself for it. Accidents happen and with this one it was sorted out very quickly. 

You were lucky then. We heard from a friend who works at BICT that four suitcases went into the river that day and only three were retrieved. Didn't seem to make the news though.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, valantine80 said:

You were lucky then. We heard from a friend who works at BICT that four suitcases went into the river that day and only three were retrieved. Didn't seem to make the news though.

How could that happen?  I watched from the wharf our luggage being loaded on our small ship in a rope net, as rain moved in.  No mishaps all luggage dry!!

10 hours ago, valantine80 said:

Nobody tipped the porters?😁

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Nobody tipped the porters?😁

ha ha 

I was so worried about my luggage making it back to Australia, I went back to tip porter on street, after he said a very loud "THANK YOU VERY MUCH!".  (You don't tip ones who work for the airline, but tip freelancers)

In defence of the lady that had no luggage...Rcl do not sell underware in their shops or anything much suitable.  I forgot to pack undies for my hubby on our recent nz cruise & he had to wash & dry them overnight until we got to our first port & could buy a pack of  bonds undies for $34 nz so her money wouldn't have gone far.

The shops on rcl are very expensive brand name stuff like bags & jewellery very little clothing. We were on Quantum. 

Princess & P&O have a much better selection of regular clothing to buy.

I would have gone op shopping if I had a chance & just got rcl to wash it for me before I wore it.

2 minutes ago, joejoe 59 said:

In defence of the lady that had no luggage...Rcl do not sell underware in their shops or anything much suitable.  I forgot to pack undies for my hubby on our recent nz cruise & he had to wash & dry them overnight until we got to our first port & could buy a pack of  bonds undies for $34 nz so her money wouldn't have gone far.

The shops on rcl are very expensive brand name stuff like bags & jewellery very little clothing. We were on Quantum. 

I would have gone op shopping if I had a chance & just got rcl to wash it for me before I wore it.

I went op shopping in Honolulu before a cruise once and was surprised how many experienced cruisers were there enhancing their tropical wardrobes.  

8 minutes ago, joejoe 59 said:

Surely the lady could have washed her undies each evening. They would be dry the next morning. As for her outerwear, surely she didn't have to wash it every day.

1 hour ago, joejoe 59 said:

She could have gone to the supermarket at the first port and got a 5-pack of cheap knickers. Ditto socks.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Surely the lady could have washed her undies each evening. They would be dry the next morning. As for her outerwear, surely she didn't have to wash it every day.

Perhaps it was more that she wanted to take up the offer of the cruise line to wash her clothes every day rather than an actual need. I must say it's odd they didn't just throw them in the washing machine at the end of the day and put straight away into a dryer. She could have had then back by 6am each morning instead of sitting around until mid-morning or mid-day or whatever it was waiting for clothes.

2 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Perhaps it was more that she wanted to take up the offer of the cruise line to wash her clothes every day rather than an actual need. I must say it's odd they didn't just throw them in the washing machine at the end of the day and put straight away into a dryer. She could have had then back by 6am each morning instead of sitting around until mid-morning or mid-day or whatever it was waiting for clothes.

That is what I would have done. I would have insisted that they wash the clothes in the evening - maybe every second night - and return them to me in the morning. I wouldn't sit around for three hours every morning waiting for my clothes to be washed. It makes me wonder if she was building up a good 'story' and not trying to work around the problem constructively.

12 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

How could that happen?  I watched from the wharf our luggage being loaded on our small ship in a rope net, as rain moved in.  No mishaps all luggage dry!!

There was high winds that day and they also had some problems with the gangway which may have contributed to the problem.