Mama Mia

2 minutes ago, kristikae said:

I can't find it anywhere.

If we are still talking about the 5/7/2023 Allure sailing, it's in the daily planner in the app and you can find it faster if you filter by entertainment. You will not find that info for all sailings - just ones fairly close in.

On 3/31/2023 at 9:31 AM, alfaeric said:

And I suspect that the cost of making a brand new Wizard of Oz is cheaper than licensing an existing show.

As best I can tell, they are licensing the Andrew Lloyd-Webber version of the show, it isn't new.  It's run on the west end before.

I would think they are able to get a favorable deal from the very useful group since I'd bet they also license CATS.  

4 hours ago, kristikae said:

Where do you find this information?

Someone on our roll call alerted us the show reservations were available and I was able to reserve in the website as the APP wasn’t working at first. 

On 3/31/2023 at 8:00 AM, poocher said:

Probably not, we live very close to NYC and I’m afraid I am something of a theater snob.  And my tastes run to less mass appeal shows.  Don’t think my favorites would fit the bill.  Spamalot, Aida, Rent, Pippin would be terrific!  

We have very different taste regarding broadway shows! 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 7:47 PM, Jingerwoppy said:

We were on in December and the show was a little over 3 hours including an intermission.

I remember the show running about 2 hrs 15 minutes and I've seen it several times.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 7:50 PM, shof515 said:

the oasis has cats since the ship was built in 2009 and it is now 2023, 14 years later

mama mia will be on the allure for many many years

Oasis did not start with Cats.  I’m quite certain I’ve seen Hairspray on Oasis more than once.  Allure has also changed shows over the years.  Not sure where you are coming up with this?

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

We have very different taste regarding broadway shows! 

Yup I do prefer the edgier, perhaps irreverent, shows.  Not really a fan of the fluffy feel good kind.  But those are the ones that probably work on a mass market cruise line.

26 minutes ago, poocher said:

Yup I do prefer the edgier, perhaps irreverent, shows.  Not really a fan of the fluffy feel good kind.  But those are the ones that probably work on a mass market cruise line.

The only edgier show I have heard of was Kinky Boots on the NCL Encore, whose contract expired a few months ago.  Some may or may not consider it edgy depending upon where your line is.

19 hours ago, poocher said:

I’d go see Kinky Boots.  Unicorns & rainbow rom-com musicals not so much.  How about Sweeney Todd!!  Assassins!! Into the Woods!

Saw kinky boots and sweeny todd on broadway.  Both excellent shows.  However some people might not think good shows for the general audience of kids through seniors.  Old musicals might work best.  

33 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Saw kinky boots and sweeny todd on broadway.  Both excellent shows.  However some people might not think good shows for the general audience of kids through seniors.  Old musicals might work best.  

Exactly how I feel about it.  They have to use shows that appeal to a wide audience.  But I still think they could do better than the current offerings.  Til they do, I just skip the shows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poocher said:

Exactly how I feel about it.  They have to use shows that appeal to a wide audience.  But I still think they could do better than the current offerings.  Til they do, I just skip the shows.

Agree- no Cats for me!  Saw on B'way and didn't like it- the movie was a true stinker.

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Agree- no Cats for me!  Saw on B'way and didn't like it- the movie was a true stinker.

I actually like Cats and would go if it were on my ship.  I’m stuck with Grease, just a horrible show!  You are right that the movie was awful.

On 3/30/2023 at 7:50 PM, shof515 said:

the oasis has cats since the ship was built in 2009 and it is now 2023, 14 years later

mama mia will be on the allure for many many years

MIAMI, April 4, 2014 – Royal Caribbean International’s Oasis of the Seas, the world’s largest and most innovative cruise ship will be bringing the Tony Award-winning Broadway production of CATS to the high seas. Based on T.S. Eliot's “Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats,” Andrew Lloyd Webber’s CATS was one of the longest running productions on Broadway and is the winner of numerous awards including seven Tonys, two Oliviers and a Grammy. The show has been seen in over 20 countries and translated into more than 10 languages. The fully licensed production of CATS will join Oasis of the Seas once it completes its drydock in fall 2014.

Edited by molly361

I think Rocky Horror Picture Show would be a fun show on a ship!  Let the audience bring in all the things we used to throw at the stage and have big screen TVs prompt for when we'd yell stuff as a response!  Haven't been to that since the 80's so I'd need the prompts too!  

• Like 2

I remember back in the 80's went to see Rocky Horror with 2 friends who were into the movie big time. They even dressed the parts. Well we enter the theater and I get a spot light shone on me and the crowd saying "Virgin, Virgin Virgin" because I was in street clothes. But love the movie and that began my liking of Tim Curry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happyshelly said:

I remember back in the 80's went to see Rocky Horror with 2 friends who were into the movie big time. They even dressed the parts. Well we enter the theater and I get a spot light shone on me and the crowd saying "Virgin, Virgin Virgin" because I was in street clothes. But love the movie and that began my liking of Tim Curry.

Those were the days! In my area it showed at midnight and I'd have to sneak out to go see it as my Mom would never let me go out that late.  It was the only movie you could go into with a bag of props and the management wouldn't confiscate them.  Saw it on TV once and it just wasn't the same.  First time I saw Tim Curry play a straight role, I was surprised at what a good actor he actually was!

• Like 1