CPAP question

1 hour ago, Racer70 said:

If you contact special needs at: “special_needs@rccl.com”,

they was will provide you with an extension cord for your CPAP machine.

Don’t count on them to have a cord.  
always bring one of your own.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

Don’t count on them to have a cord.  
always bring one of your own.  

Cords are prohibited items, like a gun or explosives. If you have an extension cord (with or without a surge protect), your luggage will be confiscated and you will spend part of your embarkation night waiting in line at security with all of the others with contraband. 

Edited by BirdTravels

If you do bring a small extension cord (to use in the hotel the night before, for example), just wrap it up along with your machine's cord and nobody will notice it.  

Do NOT bring a surge protector -- they are unnecessary with the ship's wiring, and potentially dangerous.

Depending on the ship and/or type of room you'll be in, there may be an outlet near the head of the bed (possibly under the bed).  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Cords are prohibited items, like a gun or explosives. If you have an extension cord (with or without a surge protect), your luggage will be confiscated and you will spend part of your embarkation night waiting in line at security with all of the others with contraband. 

3 hours ago, brillohead said:

If you do bring a small extension cord (to use in the hotel the night before, for example), just wrap it up along with your machine's cord and nobody will notice it.  

Do NOT bring a surge protector -- they are unnecessary with the ship's wiring, and potentially dangerous.

Depending on the ship and/or type of room you'll be in, there may be an outlet near the head of the bed (possibly under the bed).  

I’ve done this.   ⬆️⬆️⬆️
also I have a 10’ long cord on my usb/power adaptor   Never been an issue.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise5life said:

I’ve done this.   ⬆️⬆️⬆️
also I have a 10’ long cord on my usb/power adaptor   Never been an issue.   

Knowingly violating cruise line rules designed to keep passengers and the ship safe, does not make it correct. 

Lots of arguing with the security person that they can't find their confiscated item. 

image.png.a3767365283fe1dd01cc300b65dea508.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

As some have said, the outlet maybe near the bed or it may be across the room (as it was on our last cruise).  I had brought a couple magnet hooks (like these): image.png.b4931962a965032fe40c970eabe6d400.png

I was able to stick them (I only had two) on the ceiling, drape the extension cord on them, and use twist ties to attach the cord to other in room places (vents, drape holders) so we didn't have to worry about stepping over the cord the entire week.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, crzndeb said:

What ship are you on? Some have an outlet next to the bed, so you just plug in. Not sure why you need a surge protector. I just plug mine in. 

I was just on Oasis-there was an outlet on my side of the bed, but it was slightly behind the bed, I didn't even see it until I asked the cabin steward for distilled water and he pointed it out.

I always have an extension cord just in case, never had it questioned.

Do not bring a power strip-with or with out surge protector, as those would be confiscated/questioend

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Knowingly violating cruise line rules designed to keep passengers and the ship safe, does not make it correct. 

Lots of arguing with the security person that they can't find their confiscated item. 

100% right on.  I've never understood the mentality of, others's got away with it so it's Okay if I do it.  If it is against the rules and you decide to give it a go.  You may get a terminal employee that is conscience, well trained, and/or have good management that enforces the rules.  I don't want to be part of the XX% that does get caught and inconvenienced/embarrassed.  It's just toooooooo easy to follow the rules.  AND I don't want to put others in possible danger.  

Here's the link to the special needs form online:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/resources/guest-special-needs

We have sailed once since I started using a CPAP (Mariner, Sep 2022).  The extension cord and distilled water were waiting for me in the cabin when we first entered.  I used duct tape to hold the cord on the floor to prevent tripping in the dark, but that was a bad idea as it didn't really hold to the carpeting, and the gummy part was hard to remove from the extension cord at the end of the cruise.  I had the hook magnets but didn't know they could attach to the ceiling until we were home and I was searching for a solution for next time.  So this time we are going to try the magnets across the ceiling.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nzdisneymom said:

We have sailed once since I started using a CPAP (Mariner, Sep 2022).  The extension cord and distilled water were waiting for me in the cabin when we first entered.  I used duct tape to hold the cord on the floor to prevent tripping in the dark, but that was a bad idea as it didn't really hold to the carpeting, and the gummy part was hard to remove from the extension cord at the end of the cruise.  I had the hook magnets but didn't know they could attach to the ceiling until we were home and I was searching for a solution for next time.  So this time we are going to try the magnets across the ceiling.

Yep, magnets on the ceiling work great if you have to run the cord from the other side of the cabin

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ngrund said:

Yep, magnets on the ceiling work great if you have to run the cord from the other side of the cabin

I never thought of this and my husband uses CPAP and I own some of those magnets! 👍 Great tip! Thanks!

• Like 2

I use these for our cpaps. It plugs into your power supply to replace the short portion of the cord and basically makes it an integral part of your unit. I just leave them in the carrying case.  
You can get them in various lengths. 
I dislike those heavy orange cords the ships provide. 

image.thumb.png.16907d17984fa56efe971a2e3100260f.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I’ve traveled all over the world on many different cruise lines with this same USB/power adapter that has a longer cord for 7 years now.  
Not once was I at that table.
do I think I’m breaking any rules.   Not in any way at all.    I don’t hide it.  I’ve traveled with it in my carry on and checked luggage.       

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

100% right on.  I've never understood the mentality of, others's got away with it so it's Okay if I do it.  If it is against the rules and you decide to give it a go.  You may get a terminal employee that is conscience, well trained, and/or have good management that enforces the rules.  I don't want to be part of the XX% that does get caught and inconvenienced/embarrassed.  It's just toooooooo easy to follow the rules.  AND I don't want to put others in possible danger.  

I’ll copy and paste my response I made to bird.  

I’ve traveled all over the world on many different cruise lines with this same USB/power adapter that has a longer cord for 7 years now.  
Not once was I at that table.
do I think I’m breaking any rules.   Not in any way at all.    I don’t hide it.  I’ve traveled with it in my carry on and checked luggage.       

57 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

I’ll copy and paste my response I made to bird.  

I’ve traveled all over the world on many different cruise lines with this same USB/power adapter that has a longer cord for 7 years now.  
Not once was I at that table.

Well, I didn't mention you or anybody else by name.  

However, If there is a rule/law that prohibits something and you do the opposite or an end-around or whatever, then by definition, you are breaking that rule/law, aren't you!  Regardless of how many times you did it or others have or where in the world you did it.  If you are the one that gets caught or you are the one that created a safety situation, you are responsible, right!

If you drive for a million miles and each mile is over the speed limit and you didn't get caught once for those one million miles, is the next mile Okay or do you stand a chance of being pulled over, for that one mile, and get a ticket?   Or if everybody else around you is speeding but you are the only one that gets stopped for speeding, do all the others matter?  Answer:  No!

As stated many times in the past, I'm not risk-averse.  However, I do care for the safety of my friends and family.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, nzdisneymom said:

FYI, alcohol (isopropyl aka rubbing alcohol -- not the drinking kind! LOL) works great at removing adhesive gunk from most surfaces (including skin). I like to use it to remove bandages from delicate skin (like my elderly patients who have tissue paper for an epidermis), and it works great to remove residue from price tags, etc., as long as the item is hardy enough to use alcohol on.

For magnets, I like this brand that I've purchased from Amazon a few times (I keep giving them away to other people because they're so cheap).  I have heavier-duty ones that I use to hold up my "shoe organizer", but this smaller size is plenty to hold up cords -- I actually use it to hold a hanger with a hand-washed clothing item from the ceiling.  The smaller size weigh a lot less than the heavy-duty kind, and since I fly to every cruise, weight in my suitcase makes a difference.