embarkation lunch in MDR

Blue and Green

9 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

So the rest of we peons have no choice but to go to the overcrowded buffet? Nice! I am already regretting trying Celebrity. I have gone on 5 other cruise lines and always had an option to avoid the buffet. Even worse is having the dining room and not allowing us in. What about the hot dog place at the pool? Is that open maybe? 

It depends on what ship you are on.  I sailed on Beyond and went to Le Grand Bistro for embarkation day lunch $30 + 18% tip. Yes it was pricey but the menu was worth it.  The serene atmosphere was great ( less than 25% of the tables were occupied)  and I sat at a window table with a wonderful view looking out to the ocean past the narrow barrier island.  I ordered 

ESCARGOT

Basil, garlic, lemon, butter, sea salt

LOBSTER BISQUE

Tarragon, puff pastry

SOLE MEUNIÈRE

Pan seared Dover Sole, lemon butter caper sauce, boiled butter potatoes

I also tried all four desserts:

CRÈME BRÛLÉE

Caramelized vanilla egg custard with fresh berries

PROFITEROLES

Stuffed with chocolate ice cream and chocolate sauce

FLOATING ISLAND

Crème anglaise, caramel sauce

APPLE TARTIN

I also had the premium beverage package so I tried all the specialty cocktails they offered.  

I would do this specialty lunch again in a heartbeat if I ever make it back to an Edge class ship.

Edited by dreamer321

17 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

As far as I know this has always been the case with Celebrity.  At least it was when we first started sailing Celebrity since 2016.  It's not a secret that this is how Celebrity's dining is on embarkation day so maybe a little research before booking would have disclosed this fact to you. 

Yes, the Poolside Grill is open 1200 - 1800 on Embarkation day.

An alternatives is to have lunch before you embark and then you do not have to worry about the "over crowded buffet."  

Yet another alternative would have been to have booked a Concierge class room or a Suite.  Then you would have other dining alternatives to you.  

You are correct this has always been an amenity for booking Concierge class cabins. After the restart from Covid in 2021 the embarkation lunches for concierge were canceled, and you should have heard the complaints here in CC. I do not believe the lunch was back until cruises later in 2022, it was available for our August Reflection cruise last August.

31 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Outside of Celebrity in concierge, I have only cruised on one cruise line that has offered a MDR lunch on embarkation day. And I never made it.

We have been on 8 HAL cruises and only made their MDR lunch once, on one cruise we got to the MDR 5 minutes before closing and they refused to seat us. The HAL MDR on embarkation day is usually open from 11:30 to 1:00pm. Last year on the Oosterdam in Trieste we made lunch at noon. 

16 hours ago, AmberCascades said:

We've been sailing Celebrity since 2013 and the MDR has never been open on embarkation day, other than for Concierge.  Were you Concierge, or in a suite perhaps?

We have many cruises with Celebrity and about 15 b2b have only been able to use the main dinning room on change over day and when sailing concierge, Menu is just ok but nice and calm as opposed to the buffet on embarkation day!

2 hours ago, di T said:

We have many cruises with Celebrity and about 15 b2b have only been able to use the main dinning room on change over day and when sailing concierge, Menu is just ok but nice and calm as opposed to the buffet on embarkation day!

I am surprised more Aqua Class customers do not complain about no embarkation lunch for them since both Suites and Concierge class gets one.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, san diego spartan said:

I have sailed with Celebrity since 2017 and we were able to eat in the MDR on embarkation day.  As I stated this is always our POA when we get on board.  

You must cruise in Suites, Concierge Class, made Zenith very quickly or do a lot of B2B cruises. 

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I am surprised more Aqua Class customers do not complain about no embarkation lunch for them since both Suites and Concierge class gets one.

I wonder if Blu not being open for lunch has anything to do with that?   

🙂

4 minutes ago, mduffles64 said:

What about the rest of the cruise - Can you eat breakfast/lunch/dinner in the MDR regardless of your stateroom classification?

The MDR is only open on sea days for lunch.

On 4/5/2023 at 11:25 AM, terrydtx said:

I happily forgo 1 lunch on the MDR for breakfast & dinner every day in Blu

• Like 2