What are the things you ''ALWAYS'' do on a cruise that other people dont.

DarrenM

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

As a caviar lover I have sometimes joked that I make up for the cost of Seabourn with my caviar consumption. 

I will definitely use that approach with Bob. Reading that makes me want to run out to our local Caviar Store. (Yes, we have one here.)

On 2/14/2024 at 4:33 PM, ilikeanswers said:

they said you can eat it off the back of your hand

I've done and do that but only once per jar. I feel like I take too much.

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

Hank, I am thinking that "the thin pieces of toast" are actually what we folks over the pond call Melba toast, which is also a popular accompaniment when serving fois gras, or pate or similar, (named after Dame Nellie Melba, as is Peach Melba). Blinis are of course the more traditional accompaniment.

I like melba toast (some of us call it that over here) but Seabourn does not use what you and I would call real "melba toast."  It is their own concoction which seems to be thinly sliced (often falling apart) breat that is lightly toasted.  Almost like toast chips.  I have never seen a real blini on Seabourn.  When we were more recently on the new EJ1 (Explora Journeys) in one of their restaurants called "Marble and Co" they had a fantastic starter which was a very large portion of caviar on top of a bed of an excellent potato salad.  The combination was truly fantastic and one of my two favorite starters on that ship that really stressed good food.  DW and I ordered that caviar starter every time we dined in that venue.

Hank

31 minutes ago, clo said:

A chef friend recommended grilled peaches, when in season, to eat with foie.  It's insanely perfect.

Clo, I know you don't like the word "foodie" so I'll call you my epicure hero!  

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I also don't like the word "foodie" (which I use) and prefer gourmet.  But gourmet is just too stuffy for this blog.  But CC uses it in their "foodie" blog and sometimes I think it is a good description.  Consider we live in the winter months in Puerto Vallarta where "tacos al pastor" is king.  While we cannot describe a basic taco (sold for about a dollar on the street) as gourmet, it is truly special.  "Foodies" will appreciate taco al pastor while a gourmet might turn up their nose. 🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I also don't like the word "foodie" (which I use) and prefer gourmet.  But gourmet is just too stuffy for this blog.  But CC uses it in their "foodie" blog and sometimes I think it is a good description.  Consider we live in the winter months in Puerto Vallarta where "tacos al pastor" is king.  While we cannot describe a basic taco (sold for about a dollar on the street) as gourmet, it is truly special.  "Foodies" will appreciate taco al pastor while a gourmet might turn up their nose. 🙂

There is a lot to be said for simple things with fresh ingredients and cooked correctly.   

1 hour ago, clo said:

A chef friend recommended grilled peaches, when in season, to eat with foie.  It's insanely perfect.

Oh yes, fois gras smeared on thinly sliced baguette or was that liverwurst.....hmmmm ???? 🤔

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I used to be on a now deceased called "Chowhound." We officially called ourselves Chowhounds. But now I just say "I'm pretty into food" 🙂 And thanks sincerely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Foodies" will appreciate taco al pastor while a gourmet might turn up their nose

Well, not at Chowhound 🙂 but yes. We have a favorite menudo place near Lake Tahoe that's just floating in tripe.And we used to have a favorite place in San Francisco who had the 'correct' birria...made with goat.

20 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

It is generally not recommended to travel to Russia due to its government's invasion of Ukraine. Technically you can travel to Russia and people have been doing so but the government is known to arbitrarily detain foreigners if they are having a dispute with their country which at the moment is pretty much every country west of their border😂. Though (not trying to get political but kind of relevant in this case) from what I hear America has at least one Russia friendly presidential candidate so if they get voted in and stay consistent in their views along with Russia not having another coup then relations might thaw between the two countries and travel to Russia at least for Americans may become safe and viable sooner than expected🤷‍♀️

Thanks. Just before Ukraine we were booked on a cruise where we would have spent two days in SP. I've little doubt that we won't get back.

36 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

fois gras smeared

Smeared???? I slice it and then cut off bites. I've also grilled champagne grapes. Oh, wait, I'm talking about seared foie not a pate', mousse, etc. It cooks in under a minute 🙂

foiedinner.jpg

20 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I like melba toast (some of us call it that over here) but Seabourn does not use what you and I would call real "melba toast."  It is their own concoction which seems to be thinly sliced (often falling apart) breat that is lightly toasted.  Almost like toast chips.  I have never seen a real blini on Seabourn.  When we were more recently on the new EJ1 (Explora Journeys) in one of their restaurants called "Marble and Co" they had a fantastic starter which was a very large portion of caviar on top of a bed of an excellent potato salad.  The combination was truly fantastic and one of my two favorite starters on that ship that really stressed good food.  DW and I ordered that caviar starter every time we dined in that venue.

Hank

Oceania has a similar caviar starter.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

In their Main Dining Room. Or Grand Dining Room as they call it:

IMG_0350.thumb.jpeg.c54f438d2b66db97067f3e42b7a074a7.jpeg

That is close but not quite up to what they serve on the EJ1.  The main difference is that EJ1 has a much larger portion of caviar.  But, the O version looks fine to me and will be on my bucket list when we go on our upcoming Vista cruise.

Hank

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

That is close but not quite up to what they serve on the EJ1.  The main difference is that EJ1 has a much larger portion of caviar.  But, the O version looks fine to me and will be on my bucket list when we go on our upcoming Vista cruise.

You can always ask for a second one. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/16/2024 at 7:52 AM, lahlah57 said:

I looked up princess royal on a website of their amenities and said they had self service laundry.

I wasn’t clear: I meant Royal Caribbean.  We went on them last Thanksgiving after only doing Princess cruises. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2023 at 10:34 PM, no1racefan1 said:

I almost always book excursions through the ship 😁

We always do self-assist luggage/walk off.

Yes to booking excursions through the ship. Usually do NOT do self assist. 

On 5/3/2023 at 10:17 AM, lynncarol said:

My husband and I only bring carry-on luggage whenever we travel and we don't use the ship laundry unless it is free. Tricky to do...especially as I always bring my personal small pillow along. More challenging on a long cruise (17 days) but we are good at handwashing clothes at night and our perks on one line gives us a bag of free laundry..  

I don't mind using the ship launderette when available. This cruise we are platinum on Carnival and I am looking forward to the free laundry bag perk.

I hit the buffet in the evening and make up a cheese and fruit plate (and sometimes bread) to take back to my cabin. I also make sure that I always have a bottle of wine in my cabin. In the evening, I love to sit on my balcony with a glass of wine and fruit and cheese plate

I also have a tradition that I call Prosecco Out, Prosecco In. I have a glass of prosecco as we are leaving the pier on Embarkation Day, and then another glass of prosecco as we are pulling up to the final pier of the cruise - no matter how early that is

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Miss Ellsworth said:

I hit the buffet in the evening and make up a cheese and fruit plate (and sometimes bread) to take back to my cabin.

I think that's a brilliant idea. And an actual REASON to have a balcony. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Miss Ellsworth said:

I hit the buffet in the evening and make up a cheese and fruit plate (and sometimes bread) to take back to my cabin. I also make sure that I always have a bottle of wine in my cabin. In the evening, I love to sit on my balcony with a glass of wine and fruit and cheese plate

I also have a tradition that I call Prosecco Out, Prosecco In. I have a glass of prosecco as we are leaving the pier on Embarkation Day, and then another glass of prosecco as we are pulling up to the final pier of the cruise - no matter how early that is

What a great idea about the fruit & cheese from the buffet!  I always have a bottle of wine in my cabin as well ... instant bliss out on the balcony!

• Like 1