Viking to keep Covid vaccination policy until Oct. 31, 2023

Host Jazzbeau

UPDATE:  see @pontac's update information in the final post

New article on Travel Weekly:

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Viking-keeping-Covid-vaccination-policy-for-now 

Viking will keep its Covid vaccination policy in place across its river, ocean and expedition ships for the foreseeable future...

AmaWaterways, Scenic Group, Uniworld Boutique River Cruises and other river lines have already stopped requiring proof of vaccination.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I called last week to postpone our cruise another year because we aren't vaccinated and was told that Viking would probably lift the vaccination requirement next year. We have been postponing since the whole COVID mess started. I would rather have my money back.

Fortunately most people are vaccinated now anyway

I am up to date with all vaccines, including Covid, so  I guess that is all I can do

I think Viking has made a good decision although I am already booked with Scenic so doesnt affect me directly

• Like 2

In the U.K. as we have the NHS some of us are just a bit lackadaisical about keeping track of these things and so a week or two ago I got an alert on my phone to say I was able to get my booster so husband and I are off next Saturday to be punctured again. It’s one of the cases of ‘isn’t technology wonderful’.

22 hours ago, RobVet81 said:

We have been postponing since the whole COVID mess started. I would rather have my money back.

Europe has moved on for the most part and most people have put this stuff behind them. Feel free to roam around here, in my country or elsewhere. 🙂

I am always open about not being a fan of Viking. Have you tried to get your money back? Would you be willing to loose a considerable sum to be able to sail this year with another company that is - let us say - more in line with the reality in continental Europe?

notamermaid

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Viking appears not to ask for proof of vaccination any longer and beware, COVID is still out there.  Have friends who just returned from the Grand European - all 4 came home COVID positive.

We also returned last week from a river cruise in France, tho not Viking, again, husband came home positive along with 2 friends.  All are fully vaccinated.  Just know, take precautions, excursions are in full buses and with so many now traveling again it’s just a fact of life.  

This is not just a Viking issue, our cruise line did not ask for vaccination proof either.

• Like 2

Thankfully for most who are vaccinated/boosted Covid has become a relative non-issue, more akin to a moderate chest infection/flu and rarely leads to hospitalization or death.  Unfortunately those who remain unvaccinated face fare more sever health effects and higher rates of hospitalization/death, but not to the levels of overwhelming the healthcare system like at the beginning of the pandemic.  For those who do require more medical attention/hospitalization the treatments/outcomes are much better than at the outset.  Like most virus based illness, it gets easier to manage as time goes by.  This is why so many places/companies have been able to relax covid protocols, or eliminate them altogether. 

Viking is, on paper at least, erring on the side of caution by having a vaccine requirement.  Whether or not they enforce it at boarding is another thing, but most non-vaccinated guests will book elsewhere, thus reducing the number of guests/crew who might become severely ill during a voyage.

• Like 1

I respect Viking's policies and their right to make policies. FWIW, my wife and I are both 68 years of age and have never had a COVID vaccine and have each had two cases of COVID that I would best describe as a mild Flu. But everyone is different and responsible for their own health and need to make the best choices for themselves. I don't want to lose the money we have already invested in Viking so we'll just wait and see if the policies change.

• Like 1

Both my husband and I are totally vaccinated, including one just last week as approved for those over 65 and/or immunocompromised by the CDC. I am very much in favour of this requirement as we both are on immunosuppressant drugs for autoimmune diseases. We take extra precautions as opposed to most (only fly fully masked, etc.) but prefer to decrease our risk as much as possible. Our daughter who had avoided COVID the entire time while living in a city (DC) and using public transportation the entire time, contacted COVID having lunch with a high school friend who flew in from Germany for a visit and spread it to her all US family and friends.Its still out there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Viking may require Covid vaccinations but they are not checking at all.  We just came back from Cities of Lights, had a fabulous time and as far as travelers are concerned, there is no Covid, no one was masking.  We masked for the airport and flight, but we let our guard down once we arrived.   We both came home w/ Covid - a lot of traveling on buses for long periods of time, I am sure that's how we got it.  Fortunately it was more like a cold.  

• Thanks 1

Double checked just now, and Viking's website still states that all passengers must be vaccinated although they do not require boosters or pre-cruise testing.  They should either enforce this policy or update the website, so passengers know what to expect.

Ditto--just got back from a week in Switzerland, got the sniffles my last few days there, now testing positive---not feeling worse than a cold, but the isolating, etc., is annoying, since dear wife is negative.  So much easier last year when be both tested positive, my case was mild and hers was asymptomatic.

Yes, it's there.  And almost everybody is just dealing with it and going on with life.  Four of our group in Patagonia came down with it – and we were all relieved to learn that Chile's official stance is now:  mask up and go on with your life.

• 2 weeks later...

Email from Viking received today

Viking will lift its requirement for all guests to be vaccinated against COVID-19, for voyages embarking on or after 1st November 2023.

Our vaccination requirement will remain in place for all voyages embarking on or before October 31, 2023.

• Thanks 2

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Viking to keep Covid vaccination policy until Oct. 31, 2023
  • Host Jazzbeau locked this topic