Disembarkation time and that 9:30 flight

cangelmd

“Can I make this early flight from FLL?” Is a perennially popular topic here, and I thought I would add some data to the discussion while it was fresh in my mind.

We disembarked yesterday from Equinox and needed to be off as early as we reasonably could. We were in a suite, literally the 3rd couple off, before any non-suite passengers in the walk- off line.

The ship didn’t clear until at least 7:50/7:55. When we went thru Customs, I noticed a number of crew n an immigration line - don’t know if that was normal, never left this early! I do know from transatlantic cruises, that crew immigration delays things.

It was 8:15 when we located our car, and about 8:25 when we hit the interstate.

You could have gotten out of the port a little faster f you took a waiting taxi, but I don’t think you would have been in the FLL terminal any earlier than 8:30/8:45. That’s a little early for a 9:30 flight for me, but I’m a get there 2 hours ahead gal.

Just surprised at how long it took ship to clear, I guess

• Thanks 2

Thanks for sharing...

If you miss your early flight, with most domestic airlines (double check their policies) you can simply rebook to a later flight with availability.  If this uncertainty triggers one's stress/anxiety, then book the later flight

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

You could have gotten out of the port a little faster f you took a waiting taxi, but I don’t think you would have been in the FLL terminal any earlier than 8:30/8:45. That’s a little early for a 9:30 flight for me, but I’m a get there 2 hours ahead gal.

I'm not sure what you were trying to say here? Are you saying that a 9:30am flight would have been too early given what time you made it to the airport? If so, most definitely. A 9:30am flight means boarding at 9:00am. 

25 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I'm not sure what you were trying to say here? Are you saying that a 9:30am flight would have been too early given what time you made it to the airport? If so, most definitely. A 9:30am flight means boarding at 9:00am. 

My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) is they were reporting a datapoint that their ship took an extra 40mins or so to clear

I'll also add, if you have checked luggage on a domestic flight, the cutoff they can accept luggage is 45mins (at FLL at least) prior to the scheduled takeoff

We personally have no problem taking the gamble of making an early domestic flight because we'll get on a later one if we miss it; however as stated above if this stresses you out, just book the later flight

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 2

Yeah - it's all about one's risk tolerance and also assuming everything works out perfectly.  You were one of the first off the ship.  The ship docked on time, no customs issues.  No wreck on the freeway to the airport, etc.  Not FLL, but I've sailed into Amsterdam early and also 2 hours late due to very heavy fog that stopped traffic.  So you just never know.  Gotta do you.  If you are someone willing to take a chance - book early flight.  If you are someone who might be stressed and worried - book later.  I'm somewhere in the middle.  I like to book a flight around 1PM if the ship is docking at 7.  Then I pretty much guarantee I am good even if there are delays.  I can get off the ship at 9:30, make it to the airport and just chill in the airline lounge before the flight.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Sort of what  was saying. This gets debated endlessly here. A person says, certainly I take a 9:30 flight, but when you read deeper into their response, they have Precheck or Clear? (That newer flight clearance service) and no luggage - well, yes, you can make an early flight. I mostly posted because I was actually following the time and we left as early as possible, understand, we were driving not flying this time. Usually we fly and take a regular cab to FLL and it takes 15-20 minutes from walking out of customs to unloading at airport.

Because of where we live and the lack of availability on our leg home, we always book the earliest time we can. I think 9:30 is crazy early, but if there are later flights every couple of hours, it might be worth taking a chance and get home early sometimes - we don’t have that luxury

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

We personally have no problem taking the gamble of making an early domestic flight because we'll get on a later one if we miss it; however as stated above if this stresses you out, just book the later flight

If this has happened to you has your experience been the airline hasn't charged you any fare differential? Usually the earlier flights are cheaper and late morning flights more expensive, which is generally why people want to book earlier flights than just a couple of hours later. This particular situation has never happened to us when it's OUR fault for missing the flight, hence the question. We've missed a connecting flight due to a late arrival of the first leg, and of course the airline put us on the next available flight with no additional fees charged. I'm not sure that's the case when it's the passenger's fault for missing a flight and you don't have Elite status with the airline.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

If this has happened to you has your experience been the airline hasn't charged you any fare differential? Usually the earlier flights are cheaper and late morning flights more expensive, which is generally why people want to book earlier flights than just a couple of hours later. This particular situation has never happened to us when it's OUR fault for missing the flight, hence the question. We've missed a connecting flight due to a late arrival of the first leg, and of course the airline put us on the next available flight with no additional fees charge. I'm not sure that's the case when it's the passenger's fault for missing a flight and you don't have Elite status with the airline.

Yes.  As I stated above, you have to look into the airline policies and coincidently a TPG guide was posted recently.  We always try to use United which I didn't realize they seem to have the most passenger-friendly missed flight policy as the other airlines make you play the standby game which for most isn't an enjoyable experience:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/missing-a-flight/

image.thumb.png.ce3facd93d3a618f47c7d803ae5b1bf0.png

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our airline is Delta, and I’m actually surprised that their policy is as lenient as TPG states. One issue for us (and this is based on real experience) is they just don’t have that many flights to rebook us onto.

Back in the good old days, if you missed a flight and it was their fault, they might send you on another airline if you made a big stink, not sure that happens anymore?

Our last cruise before this one, in Nov 2022, we missed our connection in ATL because our flight left FLL about 90 minutes late - completely Deltas fault - we then had a 5 hour layover in ATL, because there was no available flight to Mobile, they dropped the early evening flight during Covid and never reinstated it. They send a flight over at 10:30 pm that “cleans up” everyone who has been delayed, etc - makes for a long day when you left the ship 12 hours earlier

• Like 1

Going the missed flight route is a last resort.  There is also a "same day", when you're within 24 hours of your flight you can change to a different flight without a re-fare but most will charge you a fee without status although not on United...As long as you booked a domestic non-basic fare

Delta, American and JetBlue:  Same-day flight change without a re-fare for a $75 fee which is waived if you hold status

United and Southwest: No fee or re-fare

• Like 1

Last flight out of FLL we were there in plenty of time.  While checking in several people who had missed their 9:15 flight as the luggage cutoff is 45 minutes before takeoff tried to rebook.  They were told standby with nothing likely till the next day.

All it takes is a delay in disembarking,  a traffic accident creating a traffic jam or any of a couple dozen other issues to delay one's arrival.

• Like 1

I am a regular early flight person but I have never tried earlier than 10am. The issue you have no control over is when the ship clears and they let you off. 7:50 is on the late side. I have been off ships in Miami before 7:30 and on the way to FLL by shuttle twice last year before 7:45am.  Be got to FLL by 8:30 both times for a flight around 10:15.   My rule of thumb is you need to allow at least 90 min minimum at the airport longer in Orlando.   Remember these days the plane start boards about 40 min before the flight and usually close the gate we’ll before the flight time.  

Edited by volk904

On 4/7/2023 at 8:50 AM, cangelmd said:

“Can I make this early flight from FLL?” Is a perennially popular topic here, and I thought I would add some data to the discussion while it was fresh in my mind.

We disembarked yesterday from Equinox and needed to be off as early as we reasonably could. We were in a suite, literally the 3rd couple off, before any non-suite passengers in the walk- off line.

The ship didn’t clear until at least 7:50/7:55. When we went thru Customs, I noticed a number of crew n an immigration line - don’t know if that was normal, never left this early! I do know from transatlantic cruises, that crew immigration delays things.

It was 8:15 when we located our car, and about 8:25 when we hit the interstate.

Just surprised at how long it took ship to clear, I guess

Just experienced this last Thursday, April 06. Silhouette docked at 7:00 a.m., flight was at 10:00 a.m. (Southwest) out of Miami airport. I'd booked two seats on Celebrity's shuttle service for $19/each via the Retreat concierge for the 7:45 a.m. shuttle.

The ship wasn't cleared until 7:50 a.m., at which point we were walked out... I'll spare the horror story about long disembarkation lines, luggage that wasn't where it was supposed to be, a slow shuttle trip, etc.

Bottom line, we reached our gate with less than 5 minutes to spare after run-walking the whole time. Nerve-wracking and definitely something we won't do again. We always arrive the day before departure; now we will always make sure we've got a minimum of 6 hours for departure, as well.

cjr

• Like 1

Gee, I thought I was pushing it with a 11:37AM return flight for my upcoming cruise in January as the common advice is to not book a flight home before noon local time, especially since one is on vacation, not an episode of The Amazing Race. The other options for flying nonstop from FLL to DFW are 7:10 AM, 9:15 AM, 1:29 PM, 3:44 PM, and 7:22 PM. 

26 minutes ago, CNSfromHI said:

Just experienced this last Thursday, April 06. Silhouette docked at 7:00 a.m., flight was at 10:00 a.m. (Southwest) out of Miami airport. I'd booked two seats on Celebrity's shuttle service for $19/each via the Retreat concierge for the 7:45 a.m. shuttle.

The ship wasn't cleared until 7:50 a.m., at which point we were walked out... I'll spare the horror story about long disembarkation lines, luggage that wasn't where it was supposed to be, a slow shuttle trip, etc.

Bottom line, we reached our gate with less than 5 minutes to spare after run-walking the whole time. Nerve-wracking and definitely something we won't do again. We always arrive the day before departure; now we will always make sure we've got a minimum of 6 hours for departure, as well.

cjr

Just pointing out that if one wants to try to make an early flight, one needs to do everything they can to increase your odds of making it.  This would include carrying your luggage off and jumping into a taxi which will go directly to your terminal

2 hours ago, CNSfromHI said:

cjr

So glad you did make it. We usually book a 1:00 pm type flight, but after our last experience when we didn’t get home until 11 pm, we were considering a 10:30 am flight. Now I’m not feeling good about that!

I was surprised that it took so long for the ship to clear and happy to have you confirm… maybe it’s a mid week arrival?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CNSfromHI said:

cjr

I am shocked that Celebrity would even book you on their shuttle.  Generally they will not book anyone with a flight earlier than noon.  That said, we did get our Retreat host to book us on a shuttle for an 11:30 flight, but why they allowed booking for a 10 am flight which is way earlier is beyond me.

Also did walk-off disembarkation from Equinox last Thursday (4/6), with a 7:25 am time specified for those doing walk-off. We waited about 15 minutes for an elevator around 7:15 am, only to then see hundreds of people already in line. The line wound around into other venues and did not move for at least 30 minutes. It was 8:30 (at least) when we finally exited. Apparently, they expected around 200 people to walk off, but around 500 showed up. (It seems like there should have been a way to pre-determine this!) Anyway, we did breeze through customs, waited about 10 minutes for an Uber, but did not arrive at the airport car rental spot until around 9:30 am. Making a very early flight would have been impossible!

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know if there is actual data on late vs on-time arrivals?  Airlines have the data for each carrier and route but have not read any stats on cruise ships.  I always read about the debate over risk of booking an early flight but it is always supported by anecdotes instead of actual data.  Would be interesting to read whether they arrive on time 95% 90% 75%?  And how it differs by port and time of year.

It’s complicated, because not only is there the arrival time of the ship but there’s also a time needed to go through customs and immigration. Sometimes the ship arrives on time, but it’s very slow disembarking because the lines back up in the terminal.

17 minutes ago, Mark Philip said:

Does anyone know if there is actual data on late vs on-time arrivals?  Airlines have the data for each carrier and route but have not read any stats on cruise ships.  I always read about the debate over risk of booking an early flight but it is always supported by anecdotes instead of actual data.  Would be interesting to read whether they arrive on time 95% 90% 75%?  And how it differs by port and time of year.

There is not. You can usually find the scheduled time for the ship to arrive (which can change), but just because the ship is docked doesn't mean it's cleared to start disembarking.