Edge refurb

Cruiscs

12 hours ago, davejensen70 said:

Gave you a chuckle? We are frequent cruisers and when we see worn or damaged furniture, walls or lamps etc that are old and in need, it only lessens the fun and puts us in a different "space" than when things are spiffy, clean and "fresh" feeling! Fresh doesn't have to mean "new." It can just mean clean and without damage. THAT is what we'd be expecting on a ship of Edge's class and distinction. We're sailing in three weeks and I hope not to be disappointed.

Totally agree with you. 

We were on the Apex last month and the Retreat Lounge Hosts told us the Edge will be getting a full-service bar installed in the Retreat lounge like the ones on the Apex and Beyond during the dry docking this month. This was good news as we will be on the Edge B2B in January.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, SmilingOctopus said:

Just got of the Edge 2 days ago.

She is indeed going on drydock after the current cruise. So after next Saturday they'll head to Marseille, France for 2 weeks.

As far as I heard no major changes, some staff mentioned basic things like technical maintenance, new carpets left and right, things like fixing up the pool areas, etc 

Thanks for confirming.    I was suspecting Marseille would be where they are doing the Dry Dock.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We were on the Apex last month and the Retreat Lounge Hosts told us the Edge will be getting a full-service bar installed in the Retreat lounge like the ones on the Apex and Beyond during the dry docking this month. This was good news as we will be on the Edge B2B in January.

This is good to hear for Edge as we enjoyed that on Apex, though we didn't have any issue with getting anything we wanted from the excellent service staff in the Retreat on Edge when we were on this past April. 

17 hours ago, Wookie01 said:

Do you (or anybody else) happen to know what the diamond on the Dec 21 cruise means?
We are on that sailing and I am just curious, thanks 🙂

It means you are Special.   😄

image.thumb.png.80552edffe8391c10e68cc1278602bc8.png

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Thanks Terry-

While we never had a problem on Edge at times the servers were in the back room and and guests would be asking how they get a drink.    Having a dedicated bar will help make Edge like the other E-Class ships.

• Like 4

On 10/9/2023 at 1:21 AM, whitshel said:

Not sure if the original question was answered?  Is she scheduled for a drydock this fall???? 

October I think. Sailed on her in July and she was in a very good condition. No complaints only some minor things like poodeck chairs a little bit worn

8 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

October I think. Sailed on her in July and she was in a very good condition. No complaints only some minor things like poodeck chairs a little bit worn

I've had it confirmed from multiple sources that they will be going into Marseille Dry Dock between October 14-30.  

The main purpose of the Dry Dock is for her 5 year recertification, when they usually Rebuild the Azipods, Sand and Paint the Hull and Terry is reporting they will be installing a stand alone bar in the retreat.  It is not uncommon that the do re-carpeting and repairs to broken items.  

• Like 2

On 10/9/2023 at 6:23 AM, terrydtx said:

We were on the Apex last month and the Retreat Lounge Hosts told us the Edge will be getting a full-service bar installed in the Retreat lounge

Nice addition if seating around the bar is also added.  This is one of the things that makes Michael's Club better, imo.  

I also don't get why Celebrity opted to change the martini bar on the Edge class ships.  Why not having the ice coverage surface?  It's a nice signature feature to make you feel at "home" when trying a new class of ships. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wookie01 said:

Edge is now in Marseille dry dock. Watched her arrive yesterday on the Vessel Finder website.

Looking forward to boarding in Sydney in around 9 weeks time 😀

We board her on January 13th in Sydney.

1 hour ago, Wookie01 said:

You’re getting on as we get off 🙂

We are in a Sky Suite and I will share my thoughts on service etc during or after the cruise.

we are also in a SS B2B.

Edited by terrydtx

• 2 months later...

Hi, can you provide updates or photos of the Edge now that she's finished her dry dock.  Any reviews of the ship, food and service would be much appreciated as well.

3 hours ago, Jjohnb said:

Hi, can you provide updates or photos of the Edge now that she's finished her dry dock.  Any reviews of the ship, food and service would be much appreciated as well.

We board the Edge on the 13th for 22 days from Sydney. After following a couple of CC threads from members on her way from Singapore to Sydney it doesn't sound like much was done on the interior during the dry docking in October. That was mostly a maintenance drydocking that included a full hull cleaning and repainting which had to be done before she could enter Australian and New Zealand waters and ports. The full service bar I was told by the Retreat people on the Apex was NOT installed in the Retreat lounge.

• Like 1

We boarded the Edge on October 30th (first cruise after the dry dock) and left on December 9th.  Very little was done to the interior during the dry dock.  We were in suites for all three legs, and definitely no full service bar in the Retreat Lounge.

During the time we were onboard (40 nights) we felt rather underwhelmed by some aspects of the ship.  Slow service in some of the bars.  Our particular wait staff in Luminae were excellent.  But not the attention to detail as we generally expect.  The ship felt understaffed.