She Said no Sea Shells on Ship

iluvthe-c

We were on the Joy in March and several times throughout the cruise the Cruise Director announced that no sea shells could be brought back on the ship.  It was announced whenever she talked about an upcoming Port.  I had never heard that announced before.  Why now?

I don't know if it depends on the location, as the only time I remember shells being specifically mentioned was at GSC.  And the person ahead of me got called out at security for trying to bring some onboard.

I'm stumped. I immediately checked my inbox, but there was nothing from the Joy's Cruise Director that announces this decision and explains "why". Doesn't the cruise line always inform CC members of the "why" behind any and all decisions?

I must have missed a meeting. 🤔

• Haha 1

Off topic a bit but this reminded me of the thread on the Princess boards I think it was, about the woman that brought back a live starfish on board and kept it in the shower/tub. I am not kidding. This was years ago.

Edited by tonit964
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Off topic a bit but this reminded me of the thread on the Princess boards I think it was, about the woman that brought back a live starfish on board and kept it in the shower/tub. I am not kidding. This was years ago.

One can only hope if she tried to bring the poor thing home in a suitcase she had to throw away all her stuff due to the stench. 🤬

• Like 1

i dont know, years ago my daughter went to turks caico and brought back 2 conch shells. (and this was probably 30  or so years ago. to be sure that there were no uninvited  critters still living inside, i put the shells in my back yard for a few days, soaking in bleach. then  took them out and left them on the lawn. i assume ants came and devoured the rest. after a week or so, i rinsed them off again, and place them in my aquarium, where they reside to this day.

ive always though that taking unique shells from a foreign beach was something everyone does. 

well, guess its true, you doi learn something new everyday

• Like 1

tonit964. i guess she didnt realize that a starfish is a salt water creature and probably wouldnt survive in a tub filed with freshwater.  and in most tropical locations, dont you see dried starfish hanging on the walls for sale?

and wouldnt the cabin steward have noticed when he/she came in to clean the room?

i would think that if she found the starfish on land, most likely it was already dead. if not, all tings being equal, it was probably dead by the time she got home

• Like 1

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

tonit964. i guess she didnt realize that a starfish is a salt water creature and probably wouldnt survive in a tub filed with freshwater.  and in most tropical locations, dont you see dried starfish hanging on the walls for sale?

and wouldnt the cabin steward have noticed when he/she came in to clean the room?

i would think that if she found the starfish on land, most likely it was already dead. if not, all tings being equal, it was probably dead by the time she got home

Yeah, the steward would have found it pretty much right away. I just tried to find the thread but no luck. It was one of, if not the most bizarre post on CC.

5 minutes ago, complawyer said:

ok, i am also concerned about ecosystems, but im not a card carrying enviornmentelist,  but how does picking up a shell on the beach (assuming it is no longer inhabited) have any effect on any ecosystem?

Shells also stabilize the sand by providing an attachment surface for seagrass and act as nesting material for shore birds. Removing shells from a beach alters the physical characteristics of its sediment, disturbing the natural environment and leading to shore erosion. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, complawyer said:

ok, i am also concerned about ecosystems, but im not a card carrying enviornmentelist,  but how does picking up a shell on the beach (assuming it is no longer inhabited) have any effect on any ecosystem?

Nothing sadder than a homeless hermit crab LOL

• Haha 2

Just a guess, but I think instead of making any of their regulations a tedious exercise in “you can do this, but not that” for security when you come on board, it’s a flat “no plants, no seeds, no animal, no fish, etc” blanket rule.

I get it. I don’t know if it’s petty.  Any organic virus that could be transmitted from a one of the ports, onto the ship, can be devastating.  They’re just trying to eliminate as many sources as possible that could cause that.