Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Really strange this year -  they are alternating with the TA arriving Rotterdam,  the next cruise departs Rotterdam and Returns Amsterdam, Then the British Isles Cruise Departs Amsterdam and Returns to Rotterdam.    They then do Rotterdam returns for 6-7 cruises then shift back to Rotterdam/Amsterdam until mid-September then heads to Greece. 

We are on the Apex May 25 from Rotterdam.  We disembark in Rotterdam as well.  It was originally r/t from Amsterdam.  We were notified in January of the change. 

21 minutes ago, yogini06 said:

We are on the Apex May 25 from Rotterdam.  We disembark in Rotterdam as well.  It was originally r/t from Amsterdam.  We were notified in January of the change. 

It looks like it will be very scenic and interesting sail away up the river to the sea from Rotterdam.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

It looks like it will be very scenic and interesting sail away up the river to the sea from Rotterdam.

Hi

It’s very nice if you like docks,,,Rotterdam is the biggest port in Europe.

From the centre to the North Sea its 20 miles of docks.

If you are a ship buff like me it’s great.

Btw,a short taxi/walk from where the ship docks you can have lunch on SS Rotterdam and see how cruisers used to live years ago.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

For our July 7th Apex cruise we're planning on taking the train from AMS to Amsterdam Central station, then walking 2 blocks to the Doubletree Amsterdam Central station Hotel for 2 nts. Then we will take the train from Central station to Rotterdam and walk a few blocks to the Holiday Inn Express Rotterdam Central station for 1 nt precruise. Post cruise we will take the train from Rotterdam directly to Brussels Airport, about 90 minutes away, to take a 2 hour flight from Brussels to Rome. Four days later we will be boarding the Odyssey of the Seas for a family cruise to the Greek Islands. 

Last year when we took a river cruise from Amsterdam, we took the train from the airport to Amsterdam Central Station and also stayed at the Doubletree. We are both over 70, and it was a very easy walk from the station to the hotel with our rolling luggage. Exit the station and turn left. You will see the hotel right in front of you on the next block. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Jim where did you go?  I see lots of other posts but not from you. I enjoy reading your posts. 

Let's let Jim and Ian enjoy their holiday and not guilt him of not posting enough. 

4 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Seriously? I was trying to say the thread was hijacked in a nice way. 

A bit too subtle since I didn't read that as your intent. ' We should sideline the off topic discussions and let Jim get back to his trip report' is direct and to the point and not disrespectful in the least. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Let's let Jim and Ian enjoy their holiday and not guilt him of not posting enough. 

Jim mentioned a few pages back post(#782) that there was trouble with the internet.

Edited by upwarduk

3 hours ago, PaulS said:

Last year when we took a river cruise from Amsterdam, we took the train from the airport to Amsterdam Central Station and also stayed at the Doubletree. We are both over 70, and it was a very easy walk from the station to the hotel with our rolling luggage. Exit the station and turn left. You will see the hotel right in front of you on the next block. 

We did that just prior to Covid. 

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We will be doing the train.   Luggage is no problem as we also often travel with a EuroRail pass.   As long as you have wheels should be ok but as I recall in Civitavecchia you have to use stairs to go down and up to cross to the departure track.    

Dutch Rail is really convenient and if you download the NS App you can buy your scanable Rail ticket as well as daily passes for the Tram/Bus system in Amsterdam

We are doing train also.  Have our tickets. Plan to walk to tram to get to Rotterdam Centraal.  Perhaps we could hook up with you for this as you are more worldly traveled in Europe.  

7 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

One last question for those experienced travelers.  I'm not trying to start a debate and I would just like to know the local expectations.  What is the expected gratuity to the driver for these trips?

I checked with my best friend - Mr Google (headquartered within walking distance to my home)

image.thumb.png.782e7653a7d789913773875175d7ead8.png

Yesterday out of curiosity I looked up the origin of the word - Tip

Found two -

1.  The word "tip" was first used as a verb in 1707 in George Farquhar's play The Beaux' Stratagem. Farquhar used the term after it had been "used in criminal circles as a word meant to imply the unnecessary and gratuitous gifting of something somewhat taboo, like a joke, or a sure bet, or illicit money exchanges."

2.    According to a well-known story, tipping originated in 18th century English coffee houses and taverns. Supposedly, patrons would put coins in a box marked To Insure Promptness, or TIP.

However, nobody has ever found any antique TIP boxes or any mention of them in old books, diaries or letters. Moreover, acronyms, as such words are called, were so rare in earlier times that the word "acronym" itself didn't appear until the 1940s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Croooser said:

Is the walking track on Apex very windy when the ship is moving?

It really depends on the ambient velocity and direction of the winds.    We have had some really windy days at 25 Knots and defiantly feel it anywhere outside.    Today when I first got up it was a bit windy but after sunrise was really still.     After dropping anchor it was so still it got quite hot out walking.   I had to move to walking the hallways for 1/2 of my walk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Seriously? I was trying to say the thread was hijacked in a nice way. 

I'm enjoying the hijacking and does give me an opportunity to catch.   Iain had to do a Zoom call this morning with his Attorney in Scotland.    The call was quick and not as much as any pixelation.

The internet was almost non-existant for about an hour but also got dropped by T-Mobile during the same period.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We were pleasantly surprised as I remembered the old tents terminal for 2009. The retreat VIP lounge had drinks and finger food while we waited to board.

We have not been to Rome since the Tents.   I read you posts and was impressed.

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It really depends on the ambient velocity and direction of the winds.    We have had some really windy days at 25 Knots and defiantly feel it anywhere outside.    Today when I first got up it was a bit windy but after sunrise was really still.     After dropping anchor it was so still it got quite hot out walking.   I had to move to walking the hallways for 1/2 of my walk.

Thanks, I plan to be out there before dawn on Sunday AM.🤞

7 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I enjoyed the new terminal, but with the sun warming it up quickly, it was great to board ASAP!

I would also recommend RomeCabs for transportation; we are using them for long distance instead of renting a car because we know they will be there early and awaiting our arrival; although, they fill up quickly!  I love reading FB where the train is highly recommended by others who have no idea what that entails.  One would think that the train station is just steps away from the port to get on a Celebrity ship.  We have walked it before, but only because we were out walking all over Civi from our hotel.  I cannot imagine carrying/rolling luggage!

We are also big fans of Rome Cabs (they use Black Mercedes not cabs).   Always early and waiting whether airport, hotel or cruise.   

We did the train once as we were spending 2 weeks post cruise using Eurorail Pass with origin at Civitivettchia  and spending time in Venice, Florence and Vienna.   The have a free shuttle from the shi to a lot just outside of city center.   You get off and pay  a couple € for a bus to the Station.   Really easy and train was prompt.    At Roma Termini it was really easy to find our high speed train (3 3/4 hours for the 330 miles)   The day's for Italian trains being unreliable have long ago passed.   The leave exactly on time and away you go.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

Not sure it’s to do with water levels,I imagine the water level in Amsterdam is controlled by the locks into the North Sea.

The water levels in Holland is always controlled by dykes,,,they suffer from high water levels not low.

A problem a few years ago was Amsterdam imposed a tourist tax on cruise passengers,P&O  ruises was one company that refused to impose the tax into fares so refused to dock in Amsterdam and instead docked at Ijmuiden (sea side of the locks)

Passengers transferred to Amsterdam by shuttle buses.

Like lots of other ports it may just be the large amount of cruise traffic these days.

From the article I read https://sea.cruiseportamsterdam.com/adjusted-passage-regime-at-ijmuiden-sea-lock-affects-calls-at-cruise-port-amsterdam/  the implementation is to reduce the salt water intrusion caused by higher sea levels.  

6 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Oddly....my friend on Oceania came down with covid and the ship doctor provided Paxlovid.  Wonder if X will do the same.

I asked and they said they do not carry Paxlovid which was the reason I felt safer on a long crossing just in case.    Being at sea for as long as we are on this cruise was concerning. 

It is important to discuss with your doctor as there are many potential interactions with common drugs including statin's and could cause liver and kidney issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

It’s very nice if you like docks,,,Rotterdam is the biggest port in Europe.

From the centre to the North Sea its 20 miles of docks.

If you are a ship buff like me it’s great.

Btw,a short taxi/walk from where the ship docks you can have lunch on SS Rotterdam and see how cruisers used to live years ago.

I always find it fun to Google it on their Map app and then switch to street view and watch the exact route.    Feels like you are walking down the street and can see how level the streets are and what type of neighborhoods you may walk through.     Rotterdam is of course flat as a pancake and the subways station is about the length of what we all usually walk from the ship off a pier at through the port area. 

Probably the same distance from the curb to CheckIn at many airports.

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Jim where did you go?  I see lots of other posts but not from you. I enjoy reading your posts. 

I'm here but just catching up.    I did my 10 miles today and did a good workout at the gym on the elliptical.   I just woke from a wonderful nap.    Iain said I was out cold before my head hit the pillow.

• Like 4

I'll give an update of the day and then get back to read all the good information and chatter.  

We went to lunch around 12:45 (a bit early but I was famished from my workout).    This morning I started my day in MDR -  Couldn't get coffee at Al Bacio because they had a sign it would be closed until after departure (we hadn't even arrived in Grand Cayman) due to government restriction.  It is also a bar.  More on that later.

They have such a fantastic setup.    I had a Greek Yogurt and fresh berries.    Exactly at 6:30 I was at Al Bacio for a double shot dry.    The barista made it stone dry and was fantastic.  

Lunch was also memorable.    They had a  Capraise Salad Station - Yum and a Blue Cheese topped Focaccia that was incredible.    I supplemented with an Italian Lamb Stew which was good but was only luke warm.  

IMG_2420.thumb.jpeg.851cd45f734d40b441f78b3c945c17c7.jpeg

IMG_2419.thumb.jpeg.86c8ee1879aa977fd7c3e37daf784a22.jpeg

Back to the much discussed Bar Closure.     They did have only one bar (kinda) open -  The pool bar.

I noticed in OVC that the wait staff were delivering drinks to order to diners.    When we left I noted they had a "Annex Bar" setup just outside OVC.    Zero lines

IMG_2422.thumb.jpeg.4aff185b8f70e0b07a399299f6557e91.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, larry_s_taco said:

I just found your posts. It is always great to follow you guys on the boards. I will be following daily as usual. 

Thanks Larry... You may want to just start from here.    I can't imagine starting from the beginning. 

Maybe I should publish a Cliff Notes Version ---- oops am I showing my age again. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 9