Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I remember when you did that cruise.      Even thought Alex, Evelyn and Iain are from Scotland they have never been to the Shetlands.  I've not been to most port so look forward to it.

Hi

We called at Shetland last year on a Fred Olsen cruise,,it was cold!!
Here in the UK there was a crime drama called ‘Shetland’,the lead characters name was Jimmy Perez,,,the highlight for some on board was to visit the house used in the filming.

The House is alongside the small beach….and the house itself in 2nd photo.

IMG_2051.thumb.jpeg.5573968dd8dc4be602a19a14a894f0bd.jpegIMG_0669.thumb.jpeg.983699e42e5bf8c51a0f347ceded0720.jpeg

• Like 9

I have to say Ride Share was a tough time yesterday.   We first tried Bolt and kept trying drivers who didn't accept.   Finally we decided to get two cars on Uber.   Took about 10 minutes to get accepted.

I guess the problem is that it's Sunday and few drivers want to work on a Sunday morning.

Finally got out rides and Alex and I set off first.    We arrived in about 20 minutes and texted Iain said they were on the way and close.   They didn't show up and didint' show up.   

I then checked AirTag for his suitecase and the were close but moving at a snails pace.    Finally he called and said they were at the entrance and meet them.      Their driver dropped them about 1/2 mile away and they had to walk the rest of the way.   Needless to say he didn't rate the driver well nor tip.

On 5/12/2023 at 6:30 PM, sgmn said:

Crocheting seems to be a thing these last few years when there's any national celebrations. Even in our village the postboxes are wearing crocheted crowns.  And its nearest town has loads of random crocheted flags and displays . This is at the end of my road20230426_160401.thumb.jpg.9158d1a898fbfe9eeacf63e8a52a631f.jpg

Interesting.  Never seen them before and their really was a lot of work put ito them.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 6:23 PM, happy cruzer said:

Dodging sheep.  I have been off and on looking for reports on how crowded the Apex (and sister ships) are.  I was on shortly after things opened up after covid with only about 700 onboard; yet the walking track and the martini bar were both crowded for many hours of the day.  Loved our cruise; might be our favorite ever.  But - still am very concerned it may be too crowded; some of the areas are a bit small for the number of passenger - Al Baccio and the club next to Martini Bar come to mind.

This Cruise is really lightly populated.    The official count is 1,675.    They said the last to Norway was 1,550.   This one all suites filled but last one they had 50 suites empty.

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2023 at 4:27 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Never had a problem with a CDN CC traveling , so that is pretty weird 

It seems to be isolated to Grocery stores.  

I had a discussion with the Manager of the store and he explained that Foreign debit cards are NOT accepted at Albert Hejn supermarkets.   Also they Do not Accept Credit Card (Dutch or Foreign).   Couldn't explain why. 

I googled on it and it is the consensus.   Most Dutch use Pin Cards (debit) and many don't even have a credit card.  When I called Chase Sapphire they say they don't use pins but if I get one it is used as a debit card which they will not accept if foreign.

Had no problems anywhere except grocery.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, champagnecruiser said:

I’m still following along Jim 🚢 have a wonderful time back on board Apex!

Thanks...

Will get back going.   Yesterday was a jumbled day and had to get settled into the ship.  Typical first day problems.  

18 hours ago, GREG781 said:

Hey Jim - The 9 night Alaska cruise was great on the Solstice. Here is a pic of someone you will recognize with us! 

IMG_2788.jpg

Thanks for sharing. 

Mar looks as beautiful as ever.   We really miss her.     I was going to e-mail her but left her email address at home.

15 hours ago, juanrod said:

Woke up on time west coast time to watch you sail away have great trip @Jim_Iain

It was incredible sail away.   It takes quite a while to get across from Amsterdam to the Sea.   I didn't get a chance to shoot pictures of the Lock system, but did grab one of  entering the North Sea.   It was really chilly out.

IMG_4657.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 14

15 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Went in 1991 when our son was working at the Oil Refineries. It was sunny, but cold. We never wore shorts, as even in summer, you can have 4 seasons in a day.

We should be good.   If anything Evelyn and Alex have been roasting  with 70 F (21F) temperatures in Amsterdam.

• Like 1

Oops -- the last 3 pictures of our room are Alex and Evelyn's Aqua Class room with Infinity Window.   This was first time I've been in an infinity veranda room.      I don't think I would mind it, but we down sit our on our balcony much.  

In our Royal we have a sun room aea (but no window that goes up and down).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Oops -- the last 3 pictures of our room are Alex and Evelyn's Aqua Class room with Infinity Window.   This was first time I've been in an infinity veranda room.      I don't think I would mind it, but we down sit our on our balcony much.  

So is the RS worth the $$$?

We have friends who sailed in one and said never again. Their criticism was…

Bathroom sink looked nice but was impractical.

Incredibly uncomfortable seats in the ‘sun’ area of the room.

Very small balcony with large overhang meaning no sun or star gazing.

Would love to get your opinion. With E class coming to Southampton next year we need to decide what to book. Iconic and PH both too big and out of our price range, Edge Villa layout not practical for me…

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chemmo said:

So is the RS worth the $$$?

We have friends who sailed in one and said never again. Their criticism was…

Bathroom sink looked nice but was impractical.

Incredibly uncomfortable seats in the ‘sun’ area of the room.

Very small balcony with large overhang meaning no sun or star gazing.

Would love to get your opinion. With E class coming to Southampton next year we need to decide what to book. Iconic and PH both too big and out of our price range, Edge Villa layout not practical for me…

The RS is a beautiful cabin and fees so much larger than on M and S class 

As you say the balcony is smaller and no jacuzzi on deck and tub in bathroom is unjetted.   I virtually never use either. 

long sink is beautiful and indeed a waste of space but my opinion is it would just be washed open space otherwise. 

Comfort is in the eyes of the beholder.  I find the sun porch nice adding a lot of light and does take about 1/3 of the space that would otherwise be the deck.   We use it far more than we would use the patio.   The over hang does obstruct the views on 12  and the sun but if we wanted sun we would go up to the sun deck. 

I find the rockers in the sun porch very comfy and much more practical than other RS’ where you trip or hit your shins on the rocker wings. 

it does take some getting used to.   The TV in master comes down from ceiling and if on wall side of bed need to watch you don’t hit head on it. 

I would definitely book again.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It was incredible sail away.   It takes quite a while to get across from Amsterdam to the Sea.   I didn't get a chance to shoot pictures of the Lock system, but did grab one of  entering the North Sea.   It was really chilly out.

IMG_4657.jpeg

oh yeah.. what a greatvshot at perfect time!

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

As you say the balcony is smaller and no jacuzzi on deck and tub in bathroom is unjetted.   I virtually never use either. 

long sink is beautiful and indeed a waste of space but my opinion is it would just be washed open space otherwise. 

Comfort is in the eyes of the beholder.  I find the sun porch nice adding a lot of light and does take about 1/3 of the space that would otherwise be the deck.   We use it far more than we would use the patio.   The over hang does obstruct the views on 12  and the sun but if we wanted sun we would go up to the sun deck. 

I find the rockers in the sun porch very comfy and much more practical than other RS’ where you trip or hit your shins on the rocker wings. 

it does take some getting used to.   The TV in master comes down from ceiling and if on wall side of bed need to watch you don’t hit head on it. 

pictures show a lovely  accomodation  and glad you posted the photos .We could never stay in one even of budget allowed..

.The "Escher" style tiles would be very bad for anyone like me with visual issues..as bad or worse than the dark wierd walkways to EDEN on E Class.  

Another X ship..can't recall which ..has a carpet in public area with similar pattern..very distracting.

I know u do not have my  eyesight issues, and it is a beautiful clean looking looking (but not sterile) stateroom .  ENJOY!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks, much relieved by your comments. I guess what is/isn’t important to one guest is to another. After your comments I am more likely to consider giving one a go next year…

• Like 2

Aloha. As always Mahalo for the pictures. The Royal Suite tile pattern reminds me of the Bobst library at New York University during my Undergraduate years lol. Good memories but oh my those final exam!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for clarifying. I thought I was going crazy with the 2 different chair and table styles.  I finally figured out the later picture was from an infinite veranda.

• Like 2