oops

ChatKat in Ca.

1 hour ago, History&Wine said:

good catch!

I also note that stops in  Astoria and Portland are listed.  I'm guessing there is just the one stop for two nights in Astoria, as Portland is an hour or two inland. 

We were wondering where the port for Portland might be....

1 hour ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I was looking at some cruise details.

This is funny.  On the West Coast San Diego to Vancouver there picture is of Seattle and the text mentions the port of Seattle.  The cruise does not go to Seattle.

https://www.crystalcruises.com/cruises/none-cse-008-240624

I noticed that one too! I was attracted by the photo, as we have never been to Seattle, but then I read the itinerary......🙂

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

We were wondering where the port for Portland might be....

Up the Columbia River?  In Portland?

And yes, there is a cruise port there, for Columbia River cruises from American Cruise Lines.

• Like 1

It may be pre-mature to completely dismiss the idea of Portland.  The Columbia River is quite navigable right up to Portland and recently the Koningsdam, probably almost 2 times the size of Serenity was drydocked there.  That position is noted in this post:

Just took a look at cruisemapper.com and see the Koningsdam getting into position at drydock in Portland Oregon right now.  It's quite a distance from the ocean.  

image.thumb.png.219aaba474143cd45f5d8dba546ff5e8.png

See its journey?image.thumb.png.afed92d39fc83a4e3e4a50a0772584cd.png

While Portland does not have a cruise terminal, I can conceive of Serenity docking in the area and running a shuttle into town:

image.thumb.png.0066444f262fb337cc030ee6d226a2a9.png

The green dots are bulk freighters so I think a Portland area is POSSIBLE.  Is it ;practical or in Serenity's future?  As they say, time will tell.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I’m excited about visiting Portland again. I hadn’t paid very much attention to the itinerary when I booked this cruise. I just knew it was short enough to be affordable and stopped in the incomparable San Francisco, as well as Astoria and Victoria. Great places to walk around and just plain old enjoy the scenery.

Actually, in Astoria I did a Crystal Voluntourism event. I’d do it again if it’s offered!

This cruise is the only thing I have booked for 2024!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, May B said:

I’m excited about visiting Portland again. I hadn’t paid very much attention to the itinerary when I booked this cruise. I just knew it was short enough to be affordable and stopped in the incomparable San Francisco, as well as Astoria and Victoria. Great places to walk around and just plain old enjoy the scenery.

Actually, in Astoria I did a Crystal Voluntourism event. I’d do it again if it’s offered!

This cruise is the only thing I have booked for 2024!

Was that a beach cleanup.  I did one of those in 2011.

Roy

23 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Was that a beach cleanup.  I did one of those in 2011.

Roy

Yes! And a little tower, from which to view the mouth of the river. Columbia? I think so. And perhaps we started with a visit to a fort, plus the guide was knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

Blessed with great weather. So happy I got to do that. a really nice experience.

• Like 1

Steve and I were on the Harmony when in May of 1996, we went up the Columbia and Willamette rivers and docked in Portland. It was the biggest story on the news that day. We had helicopters flying overhead followed us all the way out to the ocean.  So yes it has been done, cause we did it! Reidulf at the helm.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, juicyjuju said:

Well if Kathy and Muriel are on it I might just have to sign up too!

I think we were all on the six-day, SFO to YVR in 2016! That was my first time on Serenity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, May B said:

I think we were all on the six-day, SFO to YVR in 2016! That was my first time on Serenity.

It was after we disembarked the RT SF Hawaii cruise that we enjoyed so much

Nancy

• Like 1

We boarded the S

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

We were on it too. Right after the World Cruise which we were not on that year.

Keith

Muriel take a look at the date of your cruise if you can find it.

In our case, I just looked up ours and we boarded San Francisco May 6, 2016. We boarded late because of a big delay getting the world cruisers off. We stopped in Astoria, Seattle, Victoria and ended in Vancouver. WE only came in for that one cruise as we weren't going to return until NWP. It was a lovely cruise. If you were on that one I didn't realize it unless you were on a later one but maybe they did another one after the Hawaii cruise. Just curious when you were on.

Keith

7 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

We boarded the S

In our case, I just looked up ours and we boarded San Francisco May 6, 2016. We boarded late because of a big delay getting the world cruisers off. We stopped in Astoria, Seattle, Victoria and ended in Vancouver. WE only came in for that one cruise as we weren't going to return until NWP. It was a lovely cruise. If you were on that one I didn't realize it unless you were on a later one but maybe they did another one after the Hawaii cruise. Just curious when you were on.

Keith

Hi Keith I checked the date and we were on June 13th to 19th approximately. I also randomly remember when we were docked in Seattle I was talking to Phil on the pool deck about his wife being pregnant and he was looking forward to the new baby 

• Like 3

Really glad to see this thread. I’ve long wanted to sail up the Columbia into Portland. I recall one of the smaller HAL ships (Statendam maybe?) made a rare call here in the early 2000’s. And a Silversea or Seabourn ship as @ijkh mentioned in the not-too-distant past. 

I’ve definitely got to check out this sailing! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, May B said:

June 13th.  We were.  We met you  (Muriel) onboard!  We previously traveled with Julie and Chester and the Little Miss a few times.

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, juicyjuju said:

Hi Keith I checked the date and we were on June 13th to 19th approximately. I also randomly remember when we were docked in Seattle I was talking to Phil on the pool deck about his wife being pregnant and he was looking forward to the new baby 

Thanks Julie. I guess they had two of those cruises that year.

It was the shortest Crystal Cruise we were ever on but we truly had an amazing time.  I remember there was much more enrichment and entertainment than I thought tey would have.

Keith

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

June 13th.  We were.  We met you  (Muriel) onboard!  We previously traveled with Julie and Chester and the Little Miss a few times.

Yes, I remember the four of us visited together in Palm Court!

19 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

We boarded the S

Keith

Ours was in June, so evidently they did do it twice! It was called West Coast Wayfarer! Voyage 6311, per the Big Dog web site. I can find that, but not my Crystal invoice, for some reason.

I remember I was so excited to find a short cruise on Serenity, after loving Symphony in June of 2015.

That must’ve been when we visited Pike’s Market, the only time I ever saw that fish-throwing extravaganza.

It was a Distinctive Voyage, but we missed the shore excursion, b/c we spent the day in Victoria with a friend of our travel companion. 

• Like 1