Considering Zaandam 2024 Amazon River Cruise

stobe1

6 hours ago, Btimmer said:

The Yellow Fever vaccination was recommended but we didn't get it because of our ages and doctors' advice.  It was a non issue on our cruise.

This year it was required by HAL.  It changes year to year so plan on getting one until told otherwise 

Just now, FlorenceItaly said:

Did they accept exempt letters from a Dr.?  Thank you.  We are booked for 2024.

I was asked that the other day on another board and simply don’t recall.  Yellow fever is a single, lifetime vaccine and since I am vaccinated when the email came I ignored most of the content.  The email came about 30 days out 

• Thanks 1

We got the YF vaccine for the recently completed Volendam Amazon cruise.  This was on our doctor's advice, mostly due to the fact that we were doing an overnight excursion in the jungle.

As is always the case, my (and other folks) experience is of no relevance.  Talk to your doctor and take it from there.

• Like 2

We just did the GSA.and did not have the Yellow Fever Shot. On the advice of our doctor.  The CDC does not recommend it for those over 60. We had a letter from our doctor stating he did not recommend it with the exact date of the cruise.  We did have to go to a separate  desk at check in where they did check the letter. We were told to carry the letter with us while in Brazil. We were never asked for it. We did not do any excursions in to the jungle.  We also did not see mosquitoes.  Cruising the Amazon is an amazing adventure.  Enjoy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Tbay said:

We just did the GSA.and did not have the Yellow Fever Shot. On the advice of our doctor.  The CDC does not recommend it for those over 60. We had a letter from our doctor stating he did not recommend it with the exact date of the cruise.  We did have to go to a separate  desk at check in where they did check the letter. We were told to carry the letter with us while in Brazil. We were never asked for it. We did not do any excursions in to the jungle.  We also did not see mosquitoes.  Cruising the Amazon is an amazing adventure.  Enjoy. 

Thank you for a voice of reason.  That was our experience in Dec, 2019 when we did the Amazon on the Volendam.  We carried the letter and were never asked for it.

21 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Thank you for a voice of reason.  That was our experience in Dec, 2019 when we did the Amazon on the Volendam.  We carried the letter and were never asked for it.

Perhaps but I was asked to present it at checkin and the document was scanned into the ship computer, same for my fellow passengers.  It varies from year to year depending on the requirements of the countries you are visiting.   2019 was pre Covid, the world’s outlook is different now

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Perhaps but I was asked to present it at checkin and the document was scanned into the ship computer, same for my fellow passengers.  It varies from year to year depending on the requirements of the countries you are visiting.   2019 was pre Covid, the world’s outlook is different now

I found my documentation from China where I got my YF vaccination.  Now just to get the Brazilian visa (required for Americans/Canadians/and I think Australians) starting October 2023.  Looks like it will cost around 88 Euro (depending on the conversion rate at the time, probably around $100).

8 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

I found my documentation from China where I got my YF vaccination.  Now just to get the Brazilian visa (required for Americans/Canadians/and I think Australians) starting October 2023.  Looks like it will cost around 88 Euro (depending on the conversion rate at the time, probably around $100).

There is no visa requirement for Americans anymore.  I will warn any Chinese citizens, a lady on our cruise had only a digital copy of her visa.  Her husband told me that either Brazil or Argentina (my faulty memory) rejected the digital copy and sent her back to the US where she resides.  If you are Chinese get the paper copy. 

45 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

There is no visa requirement for Americans anymore.  I will warn any Chinese citizens, a lady on our cruise had only a digital copy of her visa.  Her husband told me that either Brazil or Argentina (my faulty memory) rejected the digital copy and sent her back to the US where she resides.  If you are Chinese get the paper copy. 

Per the Brazilian consulate in Los Angeles:

END OF VISA EXEMPTION FOR U.S. CITIZENS

Effective October 1st, 2023, U.S. citizens will need a visa to travel to Brazil on tourism or business. Applications are not open yet. Updates will be posted here timely. 

If you travel to Brazil before October 1st, 2023, YOU DO NOT NEED A VISA, even if you leave the country after this date.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Per the Brazilian consulate in Los Angeles:

END OF VISA EXEMPTION FOR U.S. CITIZENS

Effective October 1st, 2023, U.S. citizens will need a visa to travel to Brazil on tourism or business. Applications are not open yet. Updates will be posted here timely. 

If you travel to Brazil before October 1st, 2023, YOU DO NOT NEED A VISA, even if you leave the country after this date.

That is too bad as many people booked this and had no expectations of a visa.  In the past it was close to $300.  BTW, you don’t have to yell

Edited by Mary229
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mary229 said:

That is too bad as many people booked this and had no expectations of a visa.  In the past it was close to $300.  BTW, you don’t have to yell

Sorry, that was a cut and paste from the Brazilian website.  I didn't change the font.  Mea culpa!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2023 at 12:23 AM, Btimmer said:

The Yellow Fever vaccination was recommended but we didn't get it because of our ages and doctors' advice.  It was a non issue on our cruise.

I believe for the Feb 24 cruise yellow fever vaccination is REQUIRED.

On 4/18/2023 at 7:53 PM, Tbay said:

It is required for Feb 24 cruise of Amazon because the ship enters Brazil from french Guiana and therefore Brazil requires vaccination.

On 4/18/2023 at 6:54 AM, Mary229 said:

I was asked that the other day on another board and simply don’t recall.  Yellow fever is a single, lifetime vaccine and since I am vaccinated when the email came I ignored most of the content.  The email came about 30 days out 

I believe yellow fever vax is only good for 10 years .

On 4/20/2023 at 2:17 PM, Mary229 said:

They charge us what we charge them - a fee to enter their country .  

stobe1, Have you made a decision?  Nightlife seems to be limited on the Zaandam.  I thought it had a music walk, a CC review of the ship prior to 2020 indicating that a Music Walk was in the future, but current descriptions of the ship do not indicate that.  If musical entertainment and bars open after 11pm are something you enjoy I hope you get some comments from recent passengers.  The itinerary is amazing but if you also enjoy nightlife I'm not sure.  Totally understand you not wanting to be disappointed.  Cherie

On 4/18/2023 at 7:24 PM, weeislayman said:

We got the YF vaccine for the recently completed Volendam Amazon cruise.  This was on our doctor's advice, mostly due to the fact that we were doing an overnight excursion in the jungle.

As is always the case, my (and other folks) experience is of no relevance.  Talk to your doctor and take it from there.

And recommend using an international travel doctor

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2023 at 9:33 PM, stobe1 said:

We are considering booking the Amazon river sailing on Zaandam next year. We are typically Carnival and Royal Caribbean type of cruisers. This would be a definite change for us due to the cruise length, itinerary and our perception of the more "senior" crowd that is likely to be present.

Has anyone done a HAL Amazon cruise? Is it worth the cost and length and time away from home? We are in our early 40s and enjoy night life so we would likely be the youngsters on board. Are there late night options on board or do they start last call early? Zaandam is smaller (which we are fine with since we love Carnival Fantasy class ships) but it seems to have limited bar options. Hopefully there is at least 1 late night bar open?

This would be our 1st HAL experience. Any advice or tips on Amazon river sailings would be appreciated.

Thanks!

We will be on that Zaandam Amazon cruise and did a lot of research about it.  I posted on  HAL's Facebook pages asking for tips on the Amazon and Zaandam and there is a special page for this cruise as well. We know people who have done this Amazon cruises and I got lots of feedback, about 50 responses, on my FB post.  I have also gotten feedback on HAL cruises in recent years. The bottom line: The Amazon is amazing in the view of most people and the excursions can be fantastically memorable.  You should look in to getting at least a yellow fever shot and take plenty of mosquito repellent and know how to dress for it. As for the ship, it is older but pretty well kept with an excellent crew. The bars on HAL ships are pretty good and the bartenders are more friendly than you find on cruises line like Carnival, for instance. Usually a good selection of alcohol and drink specialties. I would think some of the bars are open until midnight or so.  There will be some shows on the main stage.  The bands on HAL are usually good and you have a good piano bar.  But recognize this smaller ship is not like many HAL ships in that it does not have the terrific BB King's Night Club nor the fabulous Rolling Stone Rock Room.    The tradeoff is that on a small ship you can get in to more places. Most major cruise lines do not go up the Amazon because  their ships are too big. . HAL has older people but that doesn't mean we don't have fun! There will be wine tastings, trivia, and other fun things aboard. The other element is that Zaandam won't be overwhelming with people like a Carnival or Royal ship.  And that makes lines shorter, food better in my view.  Hope this helps! 

• Like 7