Japan 2024 canceled…

Tarwood3

6 minutes ago, Scottishclover said:

We are booked on sailing Best of Southern Japan 28th March 2024.

Apologies again.  When did you book?? I amended my booking in March 2022 - I had a 6th sense that my 2022 reservation would not happen because of Japan's covid policies.  

Edited by anniegb

6 minutes ago, Scottishclover said:

I don’t think that can be true. We have 2 inside cabins booked on 28th March and so far have not been cancelled. We got an unbelievable deal on them as we booked just after they were released  so pretty sure we have paid one of the lowest prices. 

I really wish Celebrity would have asked for volunteers to move to a later date. We would have jumped on that as we are not sure our daughters can go now due to a change in university term times/exams but we have a non-refundable deposit.

Reading different people’s accounts there seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to why certain people have been cancelled.

The overbooking cancellations have seemingly only impacted certain cruises in 2023.  Everyone has an opinion on this. My theory is that they purposefully overbooked and I have my reasons for that, which relate to algorithms based on expected cancellations before final payment is due.  

One policy change recently made gets me there.  It used to be that you would book a non-refundable cruises and only risk $100 per passenger because you could take the remainder as a future cruise credit.  That encouraged bookings at favorable prices.  They got caught with their pants down when so many didn't cancel, that they were forced to boot booked passengers.  They just changed that policy so that now, the nonrefundable passengers will lose the entire deposit.  The passengers they were never sure about will now be more likely to keep bookings.  They already like the refundable passengers because they pay much more their cruises.  All of this tightens up their algorithm.  

I don't think this any real glitch as it also happened on Wonder of the Seas.  It happens to airlines.  I have a tough time with "glitches" in booking system explanations.  

Everyone has an opinion and this is mine. Good chance I'm wrong, but a better chance my Japan cruise on the Millennium will be our last on Celebrity because the refundable prices are way too high and nonrefundable prices now come with risks that are much too high.  The refundable prices approach, in total, more than Oceania or Azamara.  We cruise for itineraries and love the M class ships and the great itineraries they do, but I think is IT for us.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

The overbooking cancellations have seemingly only impacted certain cruises in 2023.  Everyone has an opinion on this. My theory is that they purposefully overbooked and I have my reasons for that, which relate to algorithms based on expected cancellations before final payment is due.  

One policy change recently made gets me there.  It used to be that you would book a non-refundable cruises and only risk $100 per passenger because you could take the remainder as a future cruise credit.  That encouraged bookings at favorable prices.  They got caught with their pants down when so many didn't cancel, that they were forced to boot booked passengers.  They just changed that policy so that now, the nonrefundable passengers will lose the entire deposit.  The passengers they were never sure about will now be more likely to keep bookings.  They already like the refundable passengers because they pay much more their cruises.  All of this tightens up their algorithm.  

I don't think this any real glitch as it also happened on Wonder of the Seas.  It happens to airlines.  I have a tough time with "glitches" in booking system explanations.  

Everyone has an opinion and this is mine. Good chance I'm wrong, but a better chance my Japan cruise on the Millennium will be our last on Celebrity because the refundable prices are way too high and nonrefundable prices now come with risks that are much too high.  The refundable prices approach, in total, more than Oceania or Azamara.  We cruise for itineraries and love the M class ships and the great itineraries they do, but I think is IT for us.

Did you read the whole thread?  It is also impacting cruises in 2024.  Also someone from Celebrity said it was an IT glitch when the prior sailing was canceled and all the lift and shift bookings were done.  Not sure why you have a tough time with IT glitches, these happen all the time and RCL company has in my opinion some of the worst IT.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, micruiser2002 said:

Did you read the whole thread?  It is also impacting cruises in 2024.  Also someone from Celebrity said it was an IT glitch when the prior sailing was canceled and all the lift and shift bookings were done.  Not sure why you have a tough time with IT glitches, these happen all the time and RCL company has in my opinion some of the worst IT.

Surely and IT glitch would affect all bookings? They don't have a separate system for each cruise, do they?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Belgian fry said:

Surely and IT glitch would affect all bookings? They don't have a separate system for each cruise, do they?

Why would an IT glitch have to affect all bookings?  They said it had to do with specific lift and shift bookings and the cabin that was booked not taken out of inventory.  Also this happens all the time with airlines and other companies with pricing errors.  It is usually limited to specific transactions.

8 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Read the whole thread.  I may be crazy, but I'm not a masochist.  

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, anniegb said:

Apologies again.  When did you book?? I amended my booking in March 2022 - I had a 6th sense that my 2022 reservation would not happen because of Japan's covid policies.  

We booked on 8th March 2022. If we were to cancel our current booking and book on a July 2024 Japan cruise, which would suit us better timing wise,  the price for the exact same rooms and same amount of nights is £3400 more expensive!

We booked a cruise with a TA in May, 2022 on the Celebrity Millennium, 12 nights Best of Japan departing Mar 16th, 2024. We had a good deal; Veranda, beverage package, prepaid gratuities, and wireless Internet package for Under $2;000 USD each person! The cabins were unassigned and we paid a deposit of $900 USD. Our friends booked as well, same deal! (Total 3 cabins)

We all received an email this week from our TA that Celebrity have oversold the celebrity millennium sailing that we are booked on! We were given two options, lift, and shift to select 24/25 Asian voyages or cancel and receive a full refund plus $450 USD per person credit. 

We have placed calls & sent emails to our TA and Celebrity waiting for a response!

3 minutes ago, Scottishclover said:

We booked on 8th March 2022. If we were to cancel our current booking and book on a July 2024 Japan cruise, which would suit us better timing wise,  the price for the exact same rooms and same amount of nights is £3400 more expensive!

I know. However I scored, for once the other way.

I booked originally in Sep 2021 for an Oct 2022 cruise.  I had been monitoring Covid Regs in Japan and sensed Japan would be very restrictive in 2022 so I switched to similar date in 2023.  Celebrity deployment issues meant it would be the Millie instead of the Solstice - suits me well and I saved 50% of my original 2022 cruise price.  As a solo, that is very unusual. I admit I had a little dance 🙂 Shortly afterwards, the prices exploded.

I am not cancelled yet but would not be surprised to receive an email. Should it happen, I will revert to back up plan - land trip

I read that many of our NA cousins are now experiencing non-refundable deposits - welcome to our world.

FWIW July in Japan can be hot,humid and wet!

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Is it possible that the person in the system that booked the actual stateroom first is being held as the priority customer and those after, by time stamp are being canceled, regardless of stateroom category? Since it seems the IT glitch was the cause of over bookings and room numbers weren't taken out of inventory. 

Just a theory! This is a shame for so many, Celebrity can and should do better than this! 

Patty 

This does make sense, and it would explain why OV and interior cabins are being canceled, not just veranda cabins.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Irish27 said:

We booked a cruise with a TA in May, 2022 on the Celebrity Millennium, 12 nights Best of Japan departing Mar 16th, 2024. We had a good deal; Veranda, beverage package, prepaid gratuities, and wireless Internet package for Under $2;000 USD each person! The cabins were unassigned and we paid a deposit of $900 USD. Our friends booked as well, same deal! (Total 3 cabins)

We all received an email this week from our TA that Celebrity have oversold the celebrity millennium sailing that we are booked on! We were given two options, lift, and shift to select 24/25 Asian voyages or cancel and receive a full refund plus $450 USD per person credit. 

We have placed calls & sent emails to our TA and Celebrity waiting for a response!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and I am sorry that this happened to you and your friends.  I suspect that since you got a great deal, you are going to choose the Lift and Shift option.

7 minutes ago, Irish27 said:

That was a seriously good deal.  I am unsurprised your cabins were cancelled.

If you can find an itinerary that suits you, I would suggest Lift and Shift.  However keep an eye on airfares.  I booked a refundable ticket ex UK in December and the price has now more than tripled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Has anyone received a response back from ExecutiveOffice@celebrity.com to see what is going on?

I just sent my e-mail asking for information.

I emailed this morning asking for clarification.    I'm the person with six cabins linked but with three cancelled.     I never got a call back from my supposed escalation to Resolutions Supervisor and still cannot get anyone to speak with me to provide answers.   The booking agent on the phone yesterday told me that nothing could be done other than "maybe" doing lift and shift for all six cabins if everyone wants to stay on the same cruise.     Nothing in writing offering that option, no information on why half were selected, and next year's itinerary is significantly different than the 2023 itinerary.

Hoping for a response/clarification from the Executive Office but not holding my breath.   Very disappointed in how this has been handled.

• Like 1

Well, I'm furious. The local Celebrity Agent (in Belgium), just fobbed me off with "you shouldn't believe everything you read in internet forums" and "you have a cabin number so you're safe".

I guess I won't be using them again

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Belgian fry said:

Well, I'm furious. The local Celebrity Agent (in Belgium), just fobbed me off with "you shouldn't believe everything you read in internet forums" and "you have a cabin number so you're safe".

I guess I won't be using them again

The lightning fast speed at which information is posted on Cruise Critic can drive travel agents and Celebrity call center reps crazy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

The lightning fast speed at which information is posted on Cruise Critic can drive travel agents and Celebrity call center reps crazy.

The thing is, I contacted them asking them to check my reservation was OK before reserving my flights and I have a feeling they haven't checked but just sent me a standard reply

1 minute ago, Belgian fry said:

The thing is, I contacted them asking them to check my reservation was OK before reserving my flights and I have a feeling they haven't checked but just sent me a standard reply

Well, that's not good.

6 minutes ago, Belgian fry said:

FWIW I have not contacted my TA but I do monitor my reservation status via Manage Reservations,

Just a suggestion, if you reserve your flights by using Flights by Celebrity, you do not pay upfront and if they cancel your cabin, you have no liability.

Annie

8 minutes ago, anniegb said:

FWIW I have not contacted my TA but I do monitor my reservation status via Manage Reservations,

Just a suggestion, if you reserve your flights by using Flights by Celebrity, you do not pay upfront and if they cancel your cabin, you have no liability.

Annie

Thanks, but that’s only available in the US and a few others countries. Sadly not in Belgium. 

Refundable fares in Europe cost way more than non-refundable. We simply don’t know what to do. 

I have asked the agency what protection I have if I do get cancelled 

5 minutes ago, Belgian fry said:

Thanks, but that’s only available in the US and a few others countries. Sadly not in Belgium. 

Refundable fares in Europe cost way more than non-refundable. We simply don’t know what to do. 

I have asked the agency what protection I have if I do get cancelled 

Just to advise I booked my air, ex UK, with Luthansa and the additional fee for a fully refundable ticket in Premium Economy was only 150 Euros (approx).

Good luck

Annie

Edited by anniegb
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Have they removed the impacted sailings from inventory for new bookings? Or are they continuing to take new bookings which will inevitably be cancelled?

There are cabins showing as available on my cruise 28 March 2024!!!

15 minutes ago, Belgian fry said:

There are cabins showing as available on my cruise 28 March 2024!!!

I just did a search on Celebrity's website, and on one page, it shows ocean view cabins available.  However, if you try to proceed to actually make a reservation, it says "no  rooms found for this request."

• Like 1