Beverage Shortages and Other Cuts

2 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

You may be right. Because HAL has had such a loyal following for so many years there are probably more people on here that know what things are expected of a HAL cruise compared to those who are actually now working for them. The trouble is the people on here are not in position to change things one way or another. 

No mustard just ketchup!😀

I don't know if thats the case.  At one point hal used to read these boards and they did make changes based on it.  Who knows if that's the case anymore.

27 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I was at a restaurant recently with delayed deliveries, it is not uncommon these days, this was not my first recent experience with restaurant shortages of supplies but more importantly labor.  There are truck driver labor shortages.  Of course cruise ships don’t have the luxury of getting daily deliveries.  

Never seen a Mc Donalds or a In & Out Burger  restaurant  have these problems & that customers are made aware .Going to any of these chains you would never know if or if not they had those problems you mentioned .Seems to me there is a difference in management abilities  between different  hospitality business 

Destiny0315 - Thanks for posting the SNL video! Those SNL shows were the best! 

I knew Jane Curtin in the 60s when she was at the Improv Theater in Cambridge, MA. 

She was very down to earth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I don't know if thats the case.  At one point hal used to read these boards and they did make changes based on it.  Who knows if that's the case anymore.

From what has been stated it seems to us that HAL management no longer reads nor cares what is said here .Their bosses in  Miami are dictating operational terms 

12 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

You may be right. Because HAL has had such a loyal following for so many years there are probably more people on here that know what things are expected of a HAL cruise compared to those who are actually now working for them. The trouble is the people on here are not in position to change things one way or another. 

Absolutely true . 

If we can get a   hotel shuttle to carry my electric scooter to & back from the ship ,we want to try Norwegian all inclusive to see the differences between HAL & Norwegian . Princess may be different than HAL but ,I expect Norwegian to be a lot different

These lines cruise from the San Pedro World Cruise Center neat LA

Edited by mcrcruiser

11 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Never seen a Mc Donalds or a In & Out Burger  restaurant  have these problems & that customers are made aware .Going to any of these chains you would never know if or if not they had those problems you mentioned .Seems to me there is a difference in management abilities  between different  hospitality business 

Well there you go you invoked the M word into the conversation...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/qai/2023/04/05/mcdonalds-shuts-head-offices-temporarily-as-it-breaks-news-of-layoffs-to-hundreds-of-workers/?sh=31a4b4092568

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Just do a web search of “truck driver shortages”.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/03/lawmakers-reintroduce-bipartisan-bill-to-boost-us-trucking-industry.html

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Unfortunately ,the USA is headed into a recession later in this year per every thing I read in business bulletins .Thus  many corporate layoffs have & are happening for the business to save cash . I own McDonalds stock for a very long time & quite happy with the results 

4 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Come on people. A McDonalds is at a fixed location 24/7, and can accept deliveries at any time. A ship is in its home port for maybe 12 hours...if the load missed the ship, you can't just pick it up at the next port.

That is true but this is why it is even more   important  to have the right numbers way in advance & allow for these contingencies 

20 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

If we can get a   hotel shuttle to carry my electric scooter to & back from the ship ,we want to try Norwegian all inclusive to see the differences between HAL & Norwegian . Princess may be different than HAL but ,I expect Norwegian to be a lot different

Hey you might be able to get a group on here to hand carry your electric scooter to and back from a NCL ship.🙂 Only kidding! I would if I were there only if I was joining you and it was a NCL PC cruise as they are about the only main line that still floats into Acapulco Bay despite the problems. 

• Haha 3

On 4/18/2023 at 2:19 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I really dislike HAL’s practice of bringing you wine ordered by the glass in a pre-poured flask. I know there have been times on this cruise (Westerdam) where I’ve ordered the very drinkable NZ Sauvignon blanc included in the HIA and they have substituted something else. But how does one protest without seeming ugly? Pouring from the bottle eliminates all such questions.

the purpose of pouring from the flask rather than the bottle is profit - usually there would be 4 glasses of wine per bottle - now cruise lines & restaurants, bars ashore use the flask in order to get a measure of 5 to 6 glasses of wine per bottle. Its all about the $$$$$

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

These lines cruise from the San Pedro World Cruise Center neat LA

That might be a good option for you. We are all well informed about your negativity toward Holland America. Please report back. I'm sure you will. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

From what has been stated it seems to us that HAL management no longer reads nor cares what is said here .Their bosses in  Miami are dictating operational terms 

Bosses in Miami? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destiny0315 said:

The cruise lines are not buying from the same suppliers in every foreign port and can't guarantee that those suppliers they do buy from will have everything they need when they need it and at a reasonable price.

Ohhh! Its the fault of the greedy supply chain. 

I wonder why some major ports have shortages of common brands of beer and pop. Are these items manufactured in Asia and shipped over the Pacific? How much of a markup can they charge on Coors and Pepsi?

I'll still go with the theory that HAL is in non-performance with their suppliers. After all, HAL has sold a megaton of bookings with $1/$25/$150/$1 deposits. Gotta affect the cash flow. 😟

10 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

After all, HAL has sold a megaton of bookings with $1/$25/$150/$1 deposits. Gotta affect the cash flow. 😟

Problem solved! Just increase the $1 deposits to $1.25 like the Dollar Tree chain has increased most everything in their stores to that higher amount for more cash flow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

What have we said that is not the truth ?

Most of what you’ve posted in this thread is false.  I am on a HAL ship at this very moment and the supposed shortages you blab on endlessly about simply do not exist!  Everything that I have ordered in every bar and dining venue onboard has been available.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2