MDR Table Size

ScottC4746

Last time we cruised with X, also was our first time, was last September on the Solstice in Alaska.  The main dining room was trying their best, and doing a great job, of seating people at tables the size of the travel parties.  We are a couple, and me having social anxiety and an introvert, much prefer a two top and it is a breath holding game with us in hopes we get a two top.  Every breakfast, lunch and dinner in the MDR it was not a problem.  There was one other couple upset they were sitting by themselves and were told it was a COVID thing.  Are they still doing this, I hope?

15 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

We are a couple, and me having social anxiety and an introvert, much prefer a two top and it is a breath holding game with us in hopes we get a two top. 

Please -- nothing to be concerned about-- Just request a table for two -- you don't have to explain the reason-- you will be accommodated. While the tables are close together, you can either chose to engage with those nearby or not-- 

I hope this makes you feel better-- don't worry about it.

We sailed on the Reflection this pass February and first day went to the MDR and spoke to the Matri'D, requested a table for two by a window and they accommodated us for  the entire cruise.  Same great staff each night!

Way to go Celebrity!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MrBill923 said:

Are the 2-top tables by the windows right next to other tables or are they more separated? We sail on the Equinox soon, just curious. 

Thanks

On the Solstice they were scattered throughout.  Ours was on the second tier along the railing so we had a lovely view of the entire dining room.

17 hours ago, MrBill923 said:

Are the 2-top tables by the windows right next to other tables or are they more separated? We sail on the Equinox soon, just curious. 

Thanks

basically enough room for one person to walk between tables and close enough that conversation is not private

21 minutes ago, Tinknock50 said:

Is there any way to get a Millennium MDR dining plan ahead of time?  I am aware that numbering can change but I still would find it helpful to get a good idea as far as location.

Nope. The tables are renumbered and reconfigured (table sizes and location) can change from one cruise to another cruises. Even what you see on Celebrity's website for a specific ship for the MDR  isn't accurate.  Best thing to do is as soon as you board the ship, go to the MDR and check it out and then speak with the Maitra d or whoever is at the entrance handling dining requests.    

6 hours ago, Tinknock50 said:

Is there any way to get a Millennium MDR dining plan ahead of time?  I am aware that numbering can change but I still would find it helpful to get a good idea as far as location.

What's the difference when you don't know your table number ahead of time ?

Suggestion : Forget about it for now --When you get onto the ship, go to your cabin instead of the OVC , get your room key and the MDR table number assigned. Then go to the MDR and ask anyone there to show you where table xyz is. If you don't like the location, ask to change it. If you remember to say " Thank You $$$ " , it will work.

15 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Suggestion : Forget about it for now --When you get onto the ship, go to your cabin instead of the OVC , get your room key and the MDR table number assigned. Then go to the MDR and ask anyone there to show you where table xyz is. If you don't like the location, ask to change it. If you remember to say " Thank You $$$ " , it will work.

It doesn't always work, bribe or no bribe. On a full ship in one of the two assigned dining times there may or may not be any open tables to switch to, especially for larger groups.  Of course it never hurts to ask.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

I do not have assigned seating.

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

It doesn't always work, bribe or no bribe. On a full ship in one of the two assigned dining times there may or may not be any open tables to switch to, especially for larger groups.  Of course it never hurts to ask.

Where I come from it’s not a bribe at all.

lt’s thanking someone for their help.

No difference than from what I’ve read on CC where folks give their Butler or Stateroom Attendant a tip on the first day of the cruise.

( I’ve never done that- I always tip over and above the daily gratuities at the end of the cruise)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScottC4746 said:

We didn't either last cruise and we had our wonderful two top, same table, same staff the entire cruise.

That is what I am looking at too. 4 tops actually.

Despite the possible table number changes each cruise, I would still like to see a current plan. Apparently what I have been hearing is that Celebrity makes drastic changes each cruise. I have never experienced that on HAL. With them, I have been able to ask for a specific table by number by email before a cruise and always got it. They always said they couldn’t guarantee a choice, of coarse.

I am going with open seating this time so I wouldn’t necessarily be picking a specific table. It would just be nice to know the size and locations now, by number. I can handle if they change things around when I board 🙂

I have a separate question…..

Why would Celebrity rearrange and change table numbers each cruise for anytime dining when they wouldn’t know who is coming and when? 
I understand they could push tables together before seating a group as the need arises. That could possibly make a numbered table unavailable to my group, but it doesn’t seem likely those tables would lose it’s number designation.

I mean , for example, if they  push table numbers 4, 5 and 6 together to accommodate a large group, it would not make sense to make up a temporary number for it for one meal. The waiters would be informed of the joining and know which of the original numbers are involved.

Edited by Tinknock50

14 minutes ago, Tinknock50 said:

That is what I am looking at too. 4 tops actually.

Despite the possible table number changes each cruise, I would still like to see a current plan. Apparently what I have been hearing is that Celebrity makes drastic changes each cruise. I have never experienced that on HAL. With them, I have been able to ask for a specific table by number by email before a cruise and always got it. They always said they couldn’t guarantee a choice, of coarse.

I am going with open seating this time so I wouldn’t necessarily be picking a specific table. It would just be nice to know the size and locations now, by number. I can handle if they change things around when I board 🙂

With open seating you can make a reservation for every night of the cruise ahead of time in the Cruise Planner section on the Celebrity site.

Also, the Host/Hostess will ask you if you want to sit in the same section every night and have the same Servers.

We always have done that and gave a few $$ extra to our Server and Assistant for their excellent service.

Suggestion: If you are going to a Specialty restaurant, please let the Host/Hostess so they don’t hold the table for you. They will appreciate your courtesy.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

With open seating you can make a reservation for every night of the cruise ahead of time in the Cruise Planner section on the Celebrity site.

Also, the Host/Hostess will ask you if you want to sit in the same section every night and have the same Servers.

We always have done that and gave a few $$ extra to our Server and Assistant for their excellent service.

Suggestion: If you are going to a Specialty restaurant, please let the Host/Hostess so they don’t hold the table for you. They will appreciate your courtesy.

Thanks… that was very helpful.

Doubt I will be doing any specialty restaurants, but I will let them know if we go to the OVC instead.