The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday April 19th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

53 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good evening from the Volendam at sea heading to Cartegena. We are hardly moving. Tomorrow is a sea day so I guess we’re in no hurry. 

Thank you Maxine. I’m sure the beaches are lovely but driving around the island was not my favorite. I really never realized that Aruba was a desert island. The desert I live in is much nicer. 

Weird how all the Caribbean islands are so different, right?   I like the green ones better too.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, NextOne said:

Now, why an outlet on the second floor and one in the basement are on the same circuit is beyond me! Yesterday, the electrician came checked things out and determined a new outlet on its own switch should be installed for the AC unit.

44 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Edi, we have an outlet upstairs that is connected to one in the garage. I really need to get that fixed!  What a pain.

Sometimes that is what resulted in the shortest run of wiring, or what best balanced the loads on different circuits. Or not. The outlet under my desk upstairs is on the same circuit as the kitchen, downstairs but not below the study. That will all probably have to be changed when work on the kitchen starts (not imminent; bathroom will come first) because code no longer allows it. The kitchen might require as many as three new circuits, and the panel is full. I'm hoping that the bathroom, where the work is essentially cosmetic, is grandfathered.

Today was my day off, but I didn't have the energy for any outside work and did office work at home instead. My current plan is to do outdoor work tomorrow, and I am pleased to have remembered to find and plug in the chargers for the lawn mower, hedge trimmer, and reciprocating saw. The only thing that was already charged was the drill, which I don't plan to use tomorrow.

I wrote ca. 2006 in an Apartment Therapy forum that it's sensible to fix all the small things that annoy you, because they will continue to annoy you day after day until you do. I'm finally taking my own advice, although some of is just upgrading products that have never worked the ways I wanted them to.

• Like 12

59 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I really never realized that Aruba was a desert island.

I don't know about Aruba, but most of the drinking water on Curacao is produced by Aqualectra, which is also the electric company, through desalinization and reverse osmosis. I have experienced rainfall on Curacao, but there's not much.

From Wikipedia:

The ABC islands have an atypical hot desert climate seen in hot pockets of Australia, Köppen climate classification BWh and BWk, with some notable rain but an excess of evaporation over precipitation. Surfaces on these islands hold little moisture and evaporate the little rainfall they receive. In addition, Aruba–Curaçao–Bonaire cactus scrub is the most common vegetation on these islands. Furthermore, the ABC islands are very dry as they lie north of the Intertropical Convergence Zone. Only in their short rainy season from October to December or January are they exposed to showers or storms formed from the northeast trade winds.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Good evening.

Well, it has been an interesting day.

The curtains are hung in the front bedroom, but not in the dining room.  The rod is too thick for the curtains I have so I have to either buy a new rod or new curtains.  Whichever is cheaper.

We finally sold Jim’s car to Carvana.  They will pick it up on Friday afternoon and give us a check on the spot.  We are basically getting the same price we paid for it four years ago.  So, for us, it seems like a free loan. Jim is having a hard time giving up his car.  It is for the best.  It gives me peace of mind.

The dryer was not delivered today.  The one that came in was damaged and another had to be ordered, so we wait again.  

And finally, the glass door for our shower will be installed tomorrow.  FINALLY!  I am ready to do a happy dance.

Today I received the results of my Cologard test.  Thankfully it was negative.  This also gives me peace of mind.  I opted to do this instead of a colonoscopy.  Glad I did it.  It was a lot easier and saved a lot of time.  

@marshhawk HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.

@dobiemom I hope your surgery went well.  Prayers for you.

Thank you to all who contribute to this thread.

Hope everyone had a great day.

Good night and God bless.

Terri

• Like 15

36 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good evening.

The curtains are hung in the front bedroom, but not in the dining room.  The rod is too thick for the curtains I have so I have to either buy a new rod or new curtains.  Whichever is cheaper.

We finally sold Jim’s car to Carvana.  They will pick it up on Friday afternoon and give us a check on the spot.  We are basically getting the same price we paid for it four years ago.  So, for us, it seems like a free loan. Jim is having a hard time giving up his car.  It is for the best.  It gives me peace of mind.

The dryer was not delivered today.  The one that came in was damaged and another had to be ordered, so we wait again.  

And finally, the glass door for our shower will be installed tomorrow.  FINALLY!  I am ready to do a happy dance.

Today I received the results of my Cologard test.  Thankfully it was negative.  This also gives me peace of mind.  I opted to do this instead of a colonoscopy.  Glad I did it.  It was a lot easier and saved a lot of time.  

Terri

Finally, some positive news.👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good evening. Now that we fixed the lawn sprinkler, it looks like we're in for several days of rain over the next week.  Of course,  that doesn't mean we'll actually get rain on those days.   We could use the rain, and we could save on watering.

6 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@grapau27, Graham, thank you for your good wishes. We are all hoping for a relatively easy fix for DH tomorrow.

Tana and her aide are doing well together. They are two very strong willed women who are used to being in charge so things are handled diplomatically at present. I have been able to really step back when she is here and I really needed to do so. 
I enjoyed learning about the special sea glass at the beaches near your home. Thank you.

Terry, that is good news that Tana and her aide are doing well together, and that they are working things out diplomatically.  I glad it gives you a chance to step back and hopefully have less stress.

7 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. It's lovely outside here, 64F and sunny.

My check from the state unclaimed property came already! Wow, I wasn't expecting it for weeks.

My hair is cut and my stylist offered to cut my grass once or twice while I'm away! The back of the salon is right across the alley from the back of my house. He'll use my mower which is in my detached garage. I need to think of something to bring him as a thank you.

@grapau27 Very interesting about the sea glass.

@jl88 Thanks for the photos, and welcome to the Daily!

@dobiemom I'm glad your procedure is done. Rest and I pray for a smooth recovery. Sorry you have to miss your Vegas trip.

@cat shepard That was a good outcome on the ice maker.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great news on DH's progress since his surgery! 

Vanessa, that was a fast response in getting the check to you.  How nice of your stylist to offer to mow your yard while you are gone.  The progress has been slow with DH's recovery, but things have really improved the last could of weeks.  Today was good for both our morales.

6 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Measure one quart of tap water into a microwave-safe container.  Place in microwave.  Turn on microwave to "Nuke" until you see bubbles coming up.

This technique works because it is not a pot that you are watching.

An excellent and easy to follow recipe.  Thanks.  😉

5 hours ago, NextOne said:

So far, this has been an interesting week. After church on Sunday, I decided to wash some clothes. Everything into the washer, including detergent, and turned it on. Nothing - not a whisper! I thought the Dailyite appliance curse had finally arrived! Made a fast trip to BestBuy, purchased a Whirlpool & made all the arrangements for delivery tomorrow. Got home & something made me go to the garage and check the circuit panel. Yup, it was a thrown switch! Okay, this is when DH would certainly have come in handy - he would have known to do that first! Luckily I was able to cancel the order without any problem.

So, now to figure out what tripped the switch. DS & I installed a window AC unit the week before - that's the only thing different. Now, why an outlet on the second floor and one in the basement are on the same circuit is beyond me! Yesterday, the electrician came checked things out and determined a new outlet on its own switch should be installed for the AC unit. That happens on Friday, when we're supposed to have record heat - hope it doesn't take too long!

In between all this, I had the pleasure of taking some friends visiting from Alabama to see George Washington's Mount Vernon - their first visit. It was beautiful, and they said it was the highlight of their trip to DC! Besides the mansion, the museum there is wonderful. Highly recommend it if you ever visit here.

Tomorrow is the first ever reunion of retirees from the federal agency where I used to work. Supposedly around 90 people will attend. I hope there's someone I know!

As I said, it's been quite the week!

Edi

Edi, I'm glad you found the problem and were able to cancel the order of the new washer.  I hope the reunion tomorrow is fun.

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good evening.

Terri

Terri, I happy progress is being made on the house even if somethings aren't going according to plan.  Enjoy your new shower with the new door.  I hope Jim adjusts to not having a car soon.  Losing one's independence is never easy.

Lenda 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Really late today after spending 1/2 the day in Seattle having an MRI of my knee.  Time went fast listening to Neil Diamond! The report was in my chart before I got home. Now to wait for the explanation of what it says.
I’m with cruising sister-sad that Jacqui won’t be with us in less than a month on the Flam railway. We all appreciate the work she did organizing tours and our spreadsheet.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I don't know about Aruba, but most of the drinking water on Curacao is produced by Aqualectra, which is also the electric company, through desalinization and reverse osmosis. I have experienced rainfall on Curacao, but there's not much.

From Wikipedia:

The ABC islands have an atypical hot desert climate seen in hot pockets of Australia, Köppen climate classification BWh and BWk, with some notable rain but an excess of evaporation over precipitation. Surfaces on these islands hold little moisture and evaporate the little rainfall they receive. In addition, Aruba–Curaçao–Bonaire cactus scrub is the most common vegetation on these islands. Furthermore, the ABC islands are very dry as they lie north of the Intertropical Convergence Zone. Only in their short rainy season from October to December or January are they exposed to showers or storms formed from the northeast trade winds.

Our guide said that the water in Aruba was the best in the world. He said that WHO had done testing and proved that it was the best. He mentioned the name of the company but I don’t remember it now. 

I have been to Curaçao and enjoyed it very much and think it’s prettier than Aruba. 

• Like 3