Do you tip for drink delivery from ap?

Peckishpixie

59 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

There was a tip jar at the IC on the Enchanted the last full day of our cruise in March. 

There was a beer glass with a few dollar bills in it on the bar by the Retreat Pool on Sky a couple of weeks ago. As a regular customer, I never noticed anyone ever feeling the need to make a contribution !

And, if anything,  the unsubtle nature of the "hint" probably dissuaded most people anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

https://apple.news/ATJLxYxV1RuWCyCCDtZ34Og

You can decide for yourself if this is how it truly works.  I found this interesting

Basically tips are consolidated and spread amongst many more people than who you think it’s going to, except if given directly with cash

Edited by Cruise till you drop

We tip for food/drinks delivered via the app, room service and in the bar for drinks. It's just how we roll. We budget a buck or two per interaction depending, it doesn't add all that much to our cost in the grand scheme of things and we know that the servers appreciate it. We also give extra to at the end to anyone who went above and beyond.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Phoenixfu003 said:

no. never tip at all except for extraordinary service

Same with us. We do leave the daily auto grats in place. On our upcoming 26 day cruise our tips will total $832. I feel absolutely no need to tip above that. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Phoenixfu003 said:

$832!?!?!?

no way, no how

Our daily gratuities are $16 x the 2 of us x 26 days = $832. That's a big chunk of money for 2 retired teachers. We always leave the grats in place, but we feel that's enough. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, wowzz said:

That is $16 pppd, which is  correct, as per current Princess policy. Why is it wrong ? 

if you wish to play into the hands of the cruise line as they exorcise expenses that are rightfully theirs, more power to you. I choose not to play their silly game

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Our daily gratuities are $16 x the 2 of us x 26 days = $832. That's a big chunk of money for 2 retired teachers. We always leave the grats in place, but we feel that's enough. 

It's a fair amount for any retired person on a fixed income. We saved all our working careers to be able to cruise a few times a year & don't fee intimidated by those that can afford to tip more generously. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 4/20/2023 at 11:19 AM, Thrak said:

I have read multiple times that one should never tip staff with $2 bills as they can be difficult to get rid of as they aren't often recognized as legitimate currency in other countries. The small dollar coins are the same way.

I’ve asked the crew Finance Manager about this.  It’s not true. The crew can easily turn in any denomination and any country’s currency that they receive in tips. They aren’t keeping the money in a shoebox under their beds, to be grabbed by the handful when they reach Fort Lauderdale. In fact, when we cruised in areas with multiple currencies (Asia), we used all our leftover currency for extra tips.

With digital wallets, we so seldomly use even a credit card these days, and never use cash.  It seems clunky to take currency for tips when we travel, but we do. 

• Like 2

On 4/22/2023 at 11:00 AM, iamaqt2 said:

No, because I purchase the Princess  Plus package and my gratuities and the 18% beverage service fee is baked into the package.  I've purposefully prepaid it up front so that I don't have to worry about tipping once onboard.

You do realize that the 18% gratuity isn't really part of the Princess Plus option.  It's a true 18% if you're paying a la carte.  It's totally arbitrary as to how much of the 40/50/60/80 is possibly allocated for the drink you got delivered.  And of course you could be a low end consumer and have 5 drinks per day or a very heavy drinker and have a total of 20 drinks or more per day, combining alcoholic and non-alcoholic options.  Nobody really knows how much of the daily charge you paid for the Plus package actually gets allocated to the server on a per drink basis.

We like to belly up to a bar to order our drinks so that I can see them being made to ensure that the proper alcohol is being utilized and not substituted with something else.   And since 90% of our consumption is at Good Spirits, we take care of the servers there at the end of the cruise.

6 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

You do realize that the 18% gratuity isn't really part of the Princess Plus option.  It's a true 18% if you're paying a la carte.  It's totally arbitrary as to how much of the 40/50/60/80 is possibly allocated for the drink you got delivered.  And of course you could be a low end consumer and have 5 drinks per day or a very heavy drinker and have a total of 20 drinks or more per day, combining alcoholic and non-alcoholic options.  Nobody really knows how much of the daily charge you paid for the Plus package actually gets allocated to the server on a per drink basis.

We like to belly up to a bar to order our drinks so that I can see them being made to ensure that the proper alcohol is being utilized and not substituted with something else.   And since 90% of our consumption is at Good Spirits, we take care of the servers there at the end of the cruise.

I would beg to differ.  In the Princess Plus FAQ Princess clearly states that these charges are built into the package.Screenshot_20230428_131658_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9022506d0a25ae488c4eece668ebc3a1.jpg

7 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

I would beg to differ.  In the Princess Plus FAQ Princess clearly states that these charges are built into the package.Screenshot_20230428_131658_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9022506d0a25ae488c4eece668ebc3a1.jpg

But it's all arbitrary nonsense.  Cruiser A could have 5 drinks per day, while cruiser B has 20 per day.  If each paid 60 per day for the Plus package, then how much money did each server get for the drink you ordered?   It's a hypothetical school math question that has no specific answer.

• Haha 1

Just now, CruizinSusan70 said:

But it's all arbitrary nonsense.  Cruiser A could have 5 drinks per day, while cruiser B has 20 per day.  If each paid 60 per day for the Plus package, then how much money did each server get for the drink you ordered?   It's a hypothetical school math question that has no specific answer.

I'm on vacation, I'm not worrying about how Princess breaks that down.  I'm posting that "I" prepaid those gratuities as outlined by Princess.  I gladly pay everything upfront to not have to worry about it once onboard for my vacation. 

If you have a problem with how Princess pays their crew, you can always boycott them by not cruising.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iamaqt2 said:

I'm on vacation, I'm not worrying about how Princess breaks that down.  I'm posting that "I" prepaid those gratuities as outlined by Princess.  I gladly pay everything upfront to not have to worry about it once onboard for my vacation. 

If you have a problem with how Princess pays their crew, you can always boycott them by not cruising.

Agreed. I have paid for the Plus package, which includes everything.

If a member of staff goes over and above during the cruise, then yes, I will show my appreciation. Otherwise, my Euros stay in the safe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

No, have no problem with how Princess pays their staff. If you go to vines to consume your favorite wine or Good Spirits to consume your favorite craft cocktail over the course of your cruise and you don't offer a tip at the end of the week for over and above good service, then yes, that's who I have a problem with.  From what I will infer, many times it's from somebody who is from a culture that doesn't tip.  

17 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

No, have no problem with how Princess pays their staff. If you go to vines to consume your favorite wine or Good Spirits to consume your favorite craft cocktail over the course of your cruise and you don't offer a tip at the end of the week for over and above good service, then yes, that's who I have a problem with.  From what I will infer, many times it's from somebody who is from a culture that doesn't tip.  

Everyone who gets on the ship is tipping the entire staff.  Daily.  3500 pax X 16.00 daily is 56 thousand dollars on a 7 day cruise.  56 thousand dollars divided by 1200 staff members is approximately 46 dollars a day in tips.  EACH. And that doesn't include the 18% service charge for beverage service or specialty dining to those staff members on top of their 46 dollars.  If you wish to tip over and above this amount, be my guest.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

Everyone who gets on the ship is tipping the entire staff.  Daily.  3500 pax X 16.00 daily is 56 thousand dollars on a 7 day cruise.  56 thousand dollars divided by 1200 staff members is approximately 46 dollars a day in tips.  EACH. And that doesn't include the 18% service charge for beverage service or specialty dining to those staff members on top of their 46 dollars.  If you wish to tip over and above this amount, be my guest.  

Good analysis. When travelling on my own, I would never give anything like $46 per day in tips. On a cruise, of course, the staff come largely from the Third World and are poorly paid; the so-called tips are just a gimmick to make the cruise look cheaper than it is by hiding part of the cost. Technically they are not part of the cost because one can refuse to pay them; in practice, however, probably most people just pay up.

I also fail to see why someone carrying a drink should get a tip when a faceless person doing laundry or chopping vegetables never will get one.

Tipping is a bad practice that lately has been taken to an extreme in North America. When paying by credit card, one is now often asked to leave a «tip» at a grocery store or a pharmacy. Recently at a restaurant I was given a range of choices from 18% to 35%, as if that represented the only permissible range of tips (15% has been standard in North America for a hundred years or so). What started as a courtesy has become a veritable shakedown.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, shorne said:

What started as a courtesy has become a veritable shakedown.

I worked for tips in college and tend to be pretty generous especially since COVID, but I absolutely draw the line at Panera’s request for a tip when I pay. I stand in line to place my order, go back up to the counter when it is ready to get it, and bus my own table…and they want a tip? Ain’t gonna happen. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

You do realize that the 46 per day you say that each staff member receives is a good percentage of their total compensation.  It's not like they have a reasonable minimum wage like they do in the states.  People that remove tips and don't tip a little extra for great service are pet peeves of mine.  That's all I'm saying.

2 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I worked for tips in college and tend to be pretty generous especially since COVID, but I absolutely draw the line at Panera’s request for a tip when I pay. I stand in line to place my order, go back up to the counter when it is ready to get it, and bus my own table…and they want a tip? Ain’t gonna happen. 

Yes, nowadays one can be hit up for a tip when picking up take-away food. Where the hell is the service that requires a tip?

I'm also sick of requests for donations to allegedly charitable causes at the cash register. It is worse than presumptuous to solicit donations from people who are just trying to buy groceries. Small wonder that I avoid retail establishments.

• Like 3