Name on birth certificate different from government ID after legal name change

We are leaving NJ for the Bahamas in about 2 weeks. Someone in our group has an expired passport and has been unable to renew it. Since it is a closed loop sailing, he plans to travel with his birth certificate and driver’s license, but his surname on those documents don’t match. He will  also bring his original paperwork with government seal reflecting the official name change. Is this going to be a problem? He called Royal Carribean, and was told it would be ok, but he felt the representative was not firm on that. Does anyone have any experience with this scenario? I wouldn’t think it would be a problem since a married women would have her maiden name on her birth certificate but her married name on her driver’s license. We just want to make sure he doesn’t get turned away at the port. Thanks 

10 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

We are leaving NJ for the Bahamas in about 2 weeks. Someone in our group has an expired passport and has been unable to renew it. Since it is a closed loop sailing, he plans to travel with his birth certificate and driver’s license, but his surname on those documents don’t match. He will  also bring his original paperwork with government seal reflecting the official name change. Is this going to be a problem? He called Royal Carribean, and was told it would be ok, but he felt the representative was not firm on that. Does anyone have any experience with this scenario? I wouldn’t think it would be a problem since a married women would have her maiden name on her birth certificate but her married name on her driver’s license. We just want to make sure he doesn’t get turned away at the port. Thanks 

I'd recommend him scheduling an appointment at a passport center for "Urgent Travel" if he can.  Otherwise, with all the documentation you said he's bringing with, he should be covered.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AmberMurmer said:

I just traveled with someone who also has a similar name change experience, they brought their birth certificate and the certified (notarized) court document of name change and it all went just fine. 

That’s a relief thanks 

IMO, he should be just fine with bringing his US birth certificate and proof of legal name change with original sealed document you mention as long as they matches his valid DL.      

If your sailing stops in Colombian, every passenger must have a valid passport or they will be denied boarding.

From Royal's FAQ page:

image.thumb.png.d0734920fba700756be481037791e990.png

Edited by Sunshine3601

I am in the same position for an upcoming loop cruise.  I have my certified birth certificate, but my current last name is different due to marriage.  I have my original marriage certificate with my maiden name on it (same as birth name.) Will that work?

13 minutes ago, JudithLynne said:

I am in the same position for an upcoming loop cruise.  I have my certified birth certificate, but my current last name is different due to marriage.  I have my original marriage certificate with my maiden name on it (same as birth name.) Will that work?

yes that will work just fine

2 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

I'd recommend him scheduling an appointment at a passport center for "Urgent Travel" if he can.  Otherwise, with all the documentation you said he's bringing with, he should be covered.

They won't consider that urgent travel and will not grant the request. Someone has to be sick, dying, or dead and proof would need to be shown.

1 hour ago, BennyandBo said:

They won't consider that urgent travel and will not grant the request. Someone has to be sick, dying, or dead and proof would need to be shown.

I don't know if it's a new thing, but they have appointments available for urgent travel. This is different than emergency travel. Check this page:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html

• Thanks 1