Chocolate Melting Cake: Are we alone?

Lee Cruiser

37 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Obviously you are all eating it wrong! You need to order it along with a serving of peanut butter.—-and ice cream.

I agree. I used to just eat it with ice cream, but once someone told me about the peanut butter on the side, oh, wow! It is SO good. I do wish they could be consistent with it, though. First night it's usually perfect and from then on, it's usually over- or under-baked...still, good, though!!

• Like 1

If it's cooked right it's pretty good but that rarely happens so some cruises I don't even bother ordering it anymore. Tried the peanut butter addition after seeing so many posts to try it this way, uh no didn't do it for me. I'm a creme brulee lover.

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Obviously you are all eating it wrong! You need to order it along with a serving of peanut butter.—-and ice cream.

This!!!  Exactly what I was going to say.  The peanut butter is a game changer, and I know it sounds crazy, but it really makes all the difference in the world.  However, I do still like it without pb, but the pb steps it up many notches!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Not a fan of Carnivals Warm Chocolate Melting Cake either. It reminds me of something that a child created & then cooked with an Easy Bake Oven.

🍹

A prodigy in the making!

It's been over 10 years since we cruised Carnival. We have Mardi Gras coming NEXT SATURDAY!  I'm glad to have read this as it's our only vivid memory from The Carnival Triumph. This way we won't have too much built up in advance. I remember our first cruise on HAL many years ago and we were psyched for the Bread Pudding. That was quite the letdown but the candied ginger was a delight cause we knew nothing of it on the way out of the dining room. Sometimes it really is the "little things"

15 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Just curious to know if anyone is like my wife and me.  We hear lots of folks raging about the chocolate melting cake, but we are not fans.  We have tried it a few times throughout the years (mostly on our first few cruises), but it is not something that we are wild about.  My wife makes a chocolate cobbler that is similar, but tastes much better.  In reality, we are not impressed with many of the desserts in the main dining room.  We usually skip dessert at dinner.  We do like some of the cakes at lunch, but those can be hit or miss depending on the ship.

Can I get your wife’s recipe for that cobbler please!!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wemjam said:

THIS!  It is like they don't bake it quite long enough now.  Used to be it would be semi solid all the way through.

If it was semi solid all the way through it must have been overcooked - SEND IT BACK!  It should be super liquid (like just hot batter) in the middle😋

• Like 1

Carnival has the melting chocolate cake recipe and short video on line.

Carnival’s Melting Chocolate Cake Recipe | Carnival Cruise Line

INGREDIENTS:
  • 6oz Dark Chocolate
  • 6oz Butter
  • 4 Eggs
  • 3oz Sugar
  • 2oz Flour
HOW TO MAKE IT:
  1. Melt the chocolate and butter
  2. Mix eggs and sugar and whisk for a few minutes, then add flour
  3. Add the egg mix to the melted chocolate and mix
  4. Pour the mix in a greased mold
  5. Bake directly in the oven at 390°F for 14 minutes

The video shows putting the souffle cups in a pan of water.  The recipe doesn't mention that, instead it says bake directly in the oven.  That probably make a big difference on how much the inside bakes.

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, thundercrack said:

Can we assume that you have eaten warm mud to maker this a valid comparison 😁

I would infer that on their first date they participated in a mud wrestling match and while pining each other, some of the mud got accidentally ingested.  Seems like a perfectly logical explanation. 😂

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, gotscrapz said:

tastes raw to me.

Any "melting" cake you get is a bit...raw. If you find the recipe on the website (and others), you'll notice that you have to undercook the cake to get it to have that "melt" in the middle. It's still safe to eat, but it is definitely less cooked.

I love it, though. Don't know why, but it's one of my favs.

5 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I would infer that on their first date they participated in a mud wrestling match and while pining each other, some of the mud got accidentally ingested.  Seems like a perfectly logical explanation. 😂

That is a very specific description.......you talking from experience, not that I am judging anyone? 😁

I am the opposite.  Love the chocolate melting cake and there is another one in the MDR I love even more (can't think of name), but I feel like the cakes in the lido are pretty flavorless and often dry.

We looked forward to it on our first night of the cruise but it didn't taste as good as I remembered it being.  Overall on the Panorama I did not care for any of their desserts.  Cakes all dry and not much to choose from.  I usually ate a cookie or two and the soft swirl ice cream. 

8 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Not a fan of Carnivals Warm Chocolate Melting Cake either. It reminds me of something that a child created & then cooked with an Easy Bake Oven.

🍹

Good comparison actually lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1