When used to Celebrity...

Nemanoxer

My favourite cruise line used to be Celebrity. Especially the Equinox. Well, food and service spiraled down, prices and bling spiraled up.

Second favourite cruise line but done only once when my budget was smaller - NCL, did the Getaway few years ago. Loved it for the entertainment (felt en par with Celebrity) and the inside solo cabin area, not so much for the food. But as food is down on Celebrity, anyway...

I am impressed with the newest NCL ships. Question: If you were me, would you give NCL a new shot? Mainly talking about the Caribbean here.

Thanks for your thoughts.

We had a great time on Celebrity. I also enjoyed NCL and loved Oceania and Scenic.

We choose by itinerary and date.

As far as prices up, food down and service slowing, well, unfortunately, that is a sign of the times on all fleets (ultra premium excepted)

• Like 1

I would echo that food and service (connected to staffing levels) are down across all but ultra luxury.  If you are willing to try the specialty restaurants a couple times, generally food will be better there.  I liked the stage shows on NCL better then I did on Celebrity when I tried them.  I did like Celebrity, but I sail solo most often so the studios became the initial selling point to me for sailing mostly NCL.  Although NCL used to have 2 Broadway type shows, It seems there is only one now on many ships.  I've never had a bad cruise, as hey, I'm on a cruiseship!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nemanoxer said:

My favourite cruise line used to be Celebrity. Especially the Equinox. Well, food and service spiraled down, prices and bling spiraled up.

Second favourite cruise line but done only once when my budget was smaller - NCL, did the Getaway few years ago. Loved it for the entertainment (felt en par with Celebrity) and the inside solo cabin area, not so much for the food. But as food is down on Celebrity, anyway...

I am impressed with the newest NCL ships. Question: If you were me, would you give NCL a new shot? Mainly talking about the Caribbean here.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Have done 8 Celebrity cruises in last 10 years.

Still my #1--especially E class.

Did Getaway in 2018 & loved it. Again in August--still loved it.

Waterfront should be on ALL ships (as should Syd Normans...🤣)

Encore in Dec...meh, not so much. Service was suffering (labor shortage or cuts in labor? not sure)

Food not as good, even in specialty dining. 

First cruise ever we did not find a number of crew members that we connected with.

Also Cavern Club is nowhere as good as Syd's band--didn't realize how much THAT made the cruise.

Have Breakaway booked in Aug to Med (incredible deal booked during COVID) & poker cruise on Joy in Nov that I won. 

Not super inclined to book them again.

I do feel their production shows are far better than Celebrity S & M class ships. 

But Eclass productions are some of the best at sea, imo.

I used to think NCL was cheaper. It sometimes is--and that might be a reason to book, as long as expectations are there that it is a step down in some regards.

NOW--NCL does SOLO MUCH better than Celebrity...

Edited by KKB
  • Like 3

I did the maiden voyage on Edge @KKB. Production show was really sick 🥳, food as well. Guess they gave their All for that introduction.

However, I did not make friends with that ship class. Not "homesy" enough compared to my beloved Equinox. Just ice cold design and hardly anywhere to cuddle.

NCL Prima seems to be the best new compromise between both worlds. I am just scared about really bad food...

3 minutes ago, Nemanoxer said:

I did the maiden voyage on Edge @KKB. Production show was really sick 🥳, food as well. Guess they gave their All for that introduction.

However, I did not make friends with that ship class. Not "homesy" enough compared to my beloved Equinox. Just ice cold design and hardly anywhere to cuddle.

NCL Prima seems to be the best new compromise between both worlds. I am just scared about really bad food...

Food on Prima is very good. It also has an observation lounge, as well as other lounges with comfortable seating. Good places to "cuddle". If you go in with reasonable expectations, you should enjoy it.

1 minute ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Food on Prima is very good. It also has an observation lounge, as well as other lounges with comfortable seating. Good places to "cuddle". If you go in with reasonable expectations, you should enjoy it.

I guess I liked NCL well enough last time because I was sure they would be absolute rubbish. I hardly had enough money for a cruise back then, so I actually expected the worst but wanted to cruise by any means. So, it was easy for them to win me over. As said above, especially Entertainment was great. With the exception of washy washy shaky shaky...

Since you've sailed the Getaway before I'd recommend checking out the recent reviews of the Getaway prior to making a decision:   https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=651 .

I sailed the Getaway in January, and most of the issues appear to be related to the itinerary changes where NCL is canceling ports after final payment and not letting people cancel or switch to other cruises. 

2 hours ago, Nemanoxer said:

The complaint of the food on the Prima hasn't been about quality.  Its mostly been that the menu doesn't change so you can get bored of it easily.  

All I can say is that everywhere we ate on the Prima (and the Bliss pre-Covid), the food ranged from really good to excellent. I know that is subjective, but it's true for us. And we can't say that about where we live now that we are no longer in the NJ/NY area where we were spoiled!

1 hour ago, Nemanoxer said:

Thanks for your inputs, I am checking itineraries and might give NCL another shot.

We have done 5 NCL and 1 Princess cruises since reopening.  The food overall was slightly better on NCL, although that varies some for each ship. Service was better on NCL overall, and especially in the MDR.

We are currently at an all inclusive resort in DR, and the food is not as good as on the cruises, and the staff not as friendly and helpful.

I would recommend a cruise vs a land Vaca.  

We have done the Breakaway from NOLA and Escape from Canaveral this year, and recommend either, depending on were you want to visit.