Group of Passengers on world cruise robbed at gun point in Africa

MomC

I'm pretty sure we had to collect our passports and show them at Australian immigration at Carins (maybe this was just for foreigners, not Australians).  However, we then depostited them in a box that was taken back to the ship, so we didn't carry them on shore.  I know we were advised in several places to keep a copy with us, which I always do.  

16 hours ago, SLSD said:

I totally agree with you.  Curiously, we were told to take our passports when we were in Alaska--and we are Americans.  I scoffed.  I can't remember now what we did.  Perhaps they neglected to exclude Americans from the announcement.  

When we went on the Silver Shadow last year to Alaska, we were told to bring our passports with us for the stop at Skagway, because some of the excursions go into Canada.

However, our cruise was delayed a day, and Skagway was taken off the list of stops, so I don't know if in the end it was really necessary or not.

We have also done Sojourn Cape Town and up the coast of SA including Port Elizabeth but that day the weather wasn't on our side so we never actually docked in Port Elizabeth, it was the only port we missed in a packed schedule.

We never took passports at all for any of the stops.  

And I certainly won't in the future.

However, I just feel for those passengers, it must've been a horrible and scary experience.  I am sure they are being looked after and do hope they are coping mentally.  Anyone who has been burgled or had something like this happen will know it can take a while to get over and come to terms with.  

• Like 7

I am curious of the logistics for these poor folks getting their passports replaced.  Normally the protocol would be to go to your country's embassy to process a replacement.  But if the ship is leaving port, do they have time to do that?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

If I was one of the unfortunate guests that were robbed I would think that I might want some questions answered by Seabourn as to why passports were required ashore clearly against the advice of my Government.

Exactly. I tend to be rather compliant when given official rules but in this case, because I've visited SA previously, based on experience I would not have taken my passport ashore. 

I really do feel for those guests affected by this horrible incident.

• Like 5

It’s really interesting to read what everyone did in 2014 🙄 and what everyone who is not on Sojourn claims they would have done, BUT if the ship has a big table set up at the gangway handing out passports telling you that you can’t go to shore without it, I for one am not surprised that these passengers (and us) were carrying theirs. 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

It’s really interesting to read what everyone did in 2014 🙄 and what everyone who is not on Sojourn claims they would have done, BUT if the ship has a big table set up at the gangway handing out passports telling you that you can’t go to shore without it, I for one am not surprised that these passengers (and us) were carrying theirs. 

But that was entirely my point as to why I mentioned a cruise in 2014.

I couldn't recall the  insistence for passports taken ashore back then. In this post you've clarified the difference between then and now. If there had been a big table at the gangway manned by passport dispensers I would have remembered it. So I wonder when the change was made.

JMO but it's a concern given that the UK and US official advice is in conflict with Seabourn procedures. 

1 hour ago, florisdekort said:

I am not surprised either.  I don't think anyone is questioning what they did.  Everyone is aghast and just trying to figure out what can be done in the future.  I hope everyone is doing ok.  

• Like 2

We just returned from a two week cruise around Japan. 
At every port, and we went ashore eight times, whether on a tour or independently, you had to pass a face to face inspection with Japanese immigration officers. The actual passport (not photo, not passport card, not paper copy) had to be presented. This was a Japanese requirement not the ship’s. 
So sometimes you have to do what the country you are visiting requires if you want to see anything other than shoreline and docks. 
Now, wrt concerns about crime, that’s a whole different discussion. You could drop $1000 on the ground in Japan and five people would rush to give it back to you, bowing all the while. 

Edited by labonnevie
Added thought.
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, labonnevie said:

At every port, and we went ashore eight times, whether on a tour or independently, you had to pass a face to face inspection with Japanese immigration officers. The actual passport (not photo, not passport card, not paper copy) had to be presented. This was a Japanese requirement not the ship’s. 
So sometimes you have to do what the country you are visiting requires if you want to see anything other than shoreline and docks. 
Now, wrt concerns about crime, that’s a whole different discussion. You could drop $1000 on the ground in Japan and five people would rush to give it back to you, bowing all the while. 

Good point about Japan as it's been a requirement there for at least the twenty years since my first visit to carry the actual passport at all times, not a copy. I've never visited Japan by ship but in hotels sometimes the front desk staff will remind you to have it with you when you leave the hotel. I have never had any concerns about carrying it during my visits to Japan.

In SA however I have always carried a copy since  a visit in the mid 1990s when my office booked me into a hotel in Johannesburg CBD. The area had entered a decline recently and front desk staff told me to avoid leaving the hotel alone.

So now we're told that a copy is not acceptable and the passport itself must be carried. Good news for the criminals. I'm not sure what measures tourists and other visitors can take given this new information. 

On 4/24/2023 at 5:25 PM, Mr Luxury said:

This rule is useful to criminals.

It is never a good idea to carry your passport ashore.

I never do and have an image of it on my phone which has been accepted by anyone that need my passport details ie when buying things to get tax free.

The cruise card should be enough to get you on and off the ship and not worry about walking around town or on a ships guided tour.

If I came across the situation that required me to take my passport off the ship,I wouldn't go.

Hope everyone is OK after this dreadful ordeal 

I’ve been to St Petersburg Russia many times and you cannot leave the port and return without your passport. I’ve had this be the case elsewhere too. 

46 minutes ago, Worldtraveler22 said:

I’ve been to St Petersburg Russia many times and you cannot leave the port and return without your passport. I’ve had this be the case elsewhere too. 

We have as well in a few places.  We used a private tour in St P and honestly can’t remember if we had to   

Cairo was our nightmare. Tour van surrounded by young men with long barrel (not a gun expert) guns. Our guard had his uzi, and I think that may have  kept them from acting. Police came and just dispersed them so we could continue on. Couldn’t get back to our ship fast enough. It was a real lesson for us in understanding when a private tour might not be the wisest choice depending on location. We’ve used privates in so many countries, but that one didn’t work so well for us. 
We were land based in So Africa after Safari in 2016. Cape Town, then wine country. I remember keeping our passports locked in the safe in our rooms. Maybe cruise passengers are different or rules have changed?

But this horrible situation that just occurred sure was an example of a port where you want to be on a cruise excursion. Really can’t imagine how that was for them. I have an inkling, but I wasn’t there.  

4 hours ago, Worldtraveler22 said:

Last time I was in St Petersburg I sent passport details to the private tour company and they provided a document that waived the need to carry my passport ashore.

I suppose it meant that they were responsible for me whilst I was there for a couple of days.

11 minutes ago, markham said:

St Petersburg is not South Africa.

St Petersburg is off the plan for the next year or so. In contrast, South Africa is on the plan.

Happy and healthy sailing!

South Africa is not on my plans anymore.

I have been many times.

The country is in decline but I won't discuss the political shenanigans going on at present.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Last time I was in St Petersburg I sent passport details to the private tour company and they provided a document that waived the need to carry my passport ashore.

I suppose it meant that they were responsible for me whilst I was there for a couple of days.

If you get off the ship and go on an excursion that is part of the ship you don't have to buy a travel visa for Russia.  This means you need to carry. your passport and go through the checkpoint coming and going.  When I was last there a honeymoon couple was traveling and the husband had his passport stolen (or it got lost somehow) while on a tour.  He could not reboard the ship and had to take the train to Moscow to get to the US Consulate to replace his passport so he could get back on the ship.  This took two days and $$.  Good thing we were in port for 3 days and it happened on day one.  Needless to say, hand carrying your passport is not an ideal situation anywhere.

Edited by Worldtraveler22

On 4/26/2023 at 12:02 AM, labonnevie said:

I was just about to post the same thing.  We had to have our actual passport at every port in Japan.  Not worried much about getting my passport stolen in Japan, but it was a requirement.  No passport card, no photocopy, no iPhone picture.