Skirted leggings in Europe?

crewsgirl

This is solely my opinion, so if others disagree that's 100% fine.  Those wide leg capris - HIDEOUS!  They look horrible on the model with the perfect young body.  They're not going to look any better on us 😉  Capris date you - and scream "old lady".  I'm 64 and gave them up many years ago, and thankfully never wore the wide leg version.  Shorts/skort or ankle-length slacks (preferably not wide leg "old lady" pants) would be my choices.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

This is solely my opinion, so if others disagree that's 100% fine.  Those wide leg capris - HIDEOUS!  They look horrible on the model with the perfect young body.  They're not going to look any better on us 😉  Capris date you - and scream "old lady".  I'm 64 and gave them up many years ago, and thankfully never wore the wide leg version.  Shorts/skort or ankle-length slacks (preferably not wide leg "old lady" pants) would be my choices.

Sue/WDW1972

Ha, ha! I'm with ya, sister! Capris are dated, and wide legs are not helpful at.all. Skorts are really the best option and have replaced all my shorts during the warmer months, such a better option. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Sue/WDW1972

Hideous, well as you say it's in the eye of the beholder.

However, they are not "old lady" pants. They are making quite the comeback -- like many things. I wouldn't call these "old ladies":

image.thumb.png.3fbd297b8a854d99b05e7574e4aa9b09.png 

image.thumb.png.35685727d1ba3e6a0599cdec2fd3f165.png 

image.thumb.png.cb2cc41112c6ed49391092d12921489e.png

hmmm, I think one difference is the old ladies are definitely not going to be pairing these cropped pants with tall block heels, and that definitely elevates these pants in all of these examples. They do look very nice on these young ladies, and very fashionable. I will be doing Barcelona in my Hokas, lol! Definitely not as cute. And to be fair, all of these are more cropped pants than capris. Capri length is shorter in my book. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, crewsgirl said:

Thought I would share this informative link that details what the stairs look like in the descent mode

Wow. Glad you shared. We have tickets to do this in a few weeks and I had no idea this is what the steps are like. I wonder how long it takes to descend. My husband and I are in good health, but that looks scary to me! 

On 4/24/2023 at 4:03 PM, crewsgirl said:

I am debating on bringing a pair of skirted leggings to Europe ...

I've never seen skirted leggings before, and -- while they look quite practical -- they are not attractive and do not look like something an adult would wear.  I really think you can do better.  

On 4/26/2023 at 4:57 PM, neeuqdrazil said:

...  I wear bike shorts under my skirts ...

I wear lots of dresses in the summer, and -- if I'm doing something active -- I often wear bike shorts under my dress.  My favorites came from Amazon and have a large slash pocket on each leg:  one for my phone, one for money or cards.  They are a bit thick /hot in mid-summer; I know that thinner options exist, but I don't happen to own any.   

On 4/28/2023 at 4:25 PM, geocruiser said:

How about just the plain leggings and a long top?

Yes, this would be much better than the proposed skirted leggings, and this gives you loads and loads of options.  Do focus on the LONG top ... leggings aren't pants.  

15 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Sue/WDW1972

So true, so true!  Capris "cut the leg" at the widest point, making your legs look fat.  

Kate Middleton would look dumpy in capris, so -- as you so correctly point out -- what do they do to the rest of us?  

10 hours ago, crewsgirl said:

hmmm, I think one difference is the old ladies are definitely not going to be pairing these cropped pants with tall block heels, and that definitely elevates these pants in all of these examples ... 

Sneakers or walking sandals would only make a bad concept worse.  

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Capris "cut the leg" at the widest point, making your legs look fat.  

Kate Middleton would look dumpy in capris, so -- as you so correctly point out -- what do they do to the rest of us?  

I've never understood this oft-repeated statement about capris.

Midi skirts and and dresses also cut off your leg at the "widest point" (surely that would be your thighs, but whatever.....) and they don't even have the separation between the legs that can have a lengthening effect. Yet no one is declaring them to be universally unflattering.

Just dropped from JJill:

Swatch image of citron for Linen Relaxed Crops

Swatch image of black/white for Linen Relaxed Crops

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Midi skirts and and dresses also cut off your leg at the "widest point" (surely that would be your thighs, but whatever.....)

Widest point at which any pair of pants would reasonably be expected to end.  

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

... Yet no one is declaring them to be universally unflattering.

Well, I haven't seen a pair that look flattering yet.  Those gray capris above are a good example (or bad example?) in that -- in spite of the fact that the model is stick-thin and her top /jacket are quite nice -- the capris just look like a big chunk of oversized fabric.  

I am noting that many of these "new" capris are longer than the older styles.  More like ankle-length pants ... do those have a name?  

• Like 2

I guess I don’t understand the appeal of these wide-legged cropped pants. Just a couple of inches more and you have proper pants that are far more flattering. I don’t want to look squat and frumpy, pants elongate the leg. A nice gauze fabric is great for warmer weather. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Widest point at which any pair of pants would reasonably be expected to end.  

Well, I haven't seen a pair that look flattering yet.  Those gray capris above are a good example (or bad example?) in that -- in spite of the fact that the model is stick-thin and her top /jacket are quite nice -- the capris just look like a big chunk of oversized fabric.  

I am noting that many of these "new" capris are longer than the older styles.  More like ankle-length pants ... do those have a name?  

All of the examples posted above are actually Cropped pants in my book. This is what a pair of capris look like

51+AY81fBxL._AC_UL600_FMwebp_QL65_.webp

1 hour ago, crewsgirl said:

All of the examples posted above are actually Cropped pants in my book. This is what a pair of capris look like

I agree - that is what I’ve heard for years now.  And cropped wide leg pants are very much in style - for any age.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crewsgirl said:

Okay, here's another thought for you ladies. How do we feel about SKORTS for casual wear while traveling/touring in the hot months? 

Love Love Love Skorts!  I usually wear a skort rather than a pair of shorts.  Looks nicer and so comfortable and I think cooler feeling than shorts (which really doesn’t make sense when you think you now have on 2 layers!)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've never understood this oft-repeated statement about capris.

Midi skirts and and dresses also cut off your leg at the "widest point" (surely that would be your thighs, but whatever.....) and they don't even have the separation between the legs that can have a lengthening effect. Yet no one is declaring them to be universally unflattering.

Just dropped from JJill:

Swatch image of citron for Linen Relaxed Crops

Swatch image of black/white for Linen Relaxed Crops

I like the bottom ones, they’re closer to ankle pants

I have liked skorts in the past but lately I am bothered by the double layer. I read a while back that skorts are indicative of American modesty Puritan roots. When a French woman knows there’s a chance her undies might show…that’s when she wears her prettiest ones! Lol

Edited by Anita Latte
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, 57redbird said:

The only pair I like is the blue striped one.....the rest are awful & I wonder if it's the choice of shoes the models have on --- they're not very flattering either...IMO.

The blue striped pair of pants look like they would be crumpled up and a wrinkled mess within 5 minutes of sitting at a restaurant. 

10 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

Love Love Love Skorts!  I usually wear a skort rather than a pair of shorts.  Looks nicer and so comfortable and I think cooler feeling than shorts (which really doesn’t make sense when you think you now have on 2 layers!)

Skorts are the new shorts for me. I can slip on a skort, feel like I am put together nicely, go anywhere and feel so much better than shorts. Plus, lightweight, easy to travel and works with tennis shoes. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

I have liked skorts in the past but lately I am bothered by the double layer. I read a while back that skorts are indicative of American modesty Puritan roots. When a French woman knows there’s a chance her undies might show…that’s when she wears her prettiest ones! Lol

LOVE this! I doubt I want my undies showing while I'm touring,.....but hey, I get the sentiment! I like the hidden pockets for cell phone & cash. I think it's part of American sportiness....and fits with the athleisure fitness vibe of the US.  Here's a skort that could be part of a travel capsule

download.webp

• Like 1

16 hours ago, crewsgirl said:

Okay, here's another thought for you ladies. How do we feel about SKORTS for casual wear while traveling/touring in the hot months? 

I've fallen in love with skorts over the last couple years, as they're a "step up" from shorts and look a bit more polished.  BUT the details must be right: 

- I don't like the ones with a skirt in front /shorts in the back ... the skirt has to go all the way around. 

- I have two that're twill or thin canvas (right fabric terms?) that I pair with casual blouses and sandals.  This is nice for meeting friends or going out for a casual dinner in summer.  

- I have two more that're stretchy material -- Kohls carries them, and they seem to sell out fast.  These are uber-comfortable, and I wear them constantly in the summer, but I wear them with tee-shirts or tank tops and usually white Keds or Vans.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, crewsgirl said:

The blue striped pair of pants look like they would be crumpled up and a wrinkled mess within 5 minutes of sitting at a restaurant. 

Skorts are the new shorts for me. I can slip on a skort, feel like I am put together nicely, go anywhere and feel so much better than shorts. Plus, lightweight, easy to travel and works with tennis shoes. 

Yes, I agree ... though, as a Southerner, I still have a bunch of shorts too.  Living here, we can wear shorts maybe 5 months out of the year.  

15 minutes ago, crewsgirl said:

LOVE this! I doubt I want my undies showing while I'm touring,.....but hey, I get the sentiment! I like the hidden pockets for cell phone & cash. I think it's part of American sportiness....and fits with the athleisure fitness vibe of the US.  Here's a skort that could be part of a travel capsule

download.webp

Agree that Americans go for a "sporty" look.  

As for the hidden pockets for cell phone and cash, if I'm wearing a casual dress without pockets, I often wear bike shorts underneath.  This is also handy if I'm going somewhere active ... like if I'm taking my little grandson out to the museum or the zoo, and I'll be bending over a lot to lift him up.  I like these from Amazon; they have a slash pocket on each leg, and I buy the shorter inseam (shown).  Since they cling to the body, they can feel hot in mid-summer.   

Shorts.jpg

I understand the reasoning for the bike shorts, but just too bulky and layered for me. I am really going to try to develop the Europe capsule wardrobe for this cruise in June and pare down how many pieces of clothing I am going to pack. Everything will be worn, and I hope not to waste a lot of space with non necessary items. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, crewsgirl said:

To me they look like tennis clothing, but... if you like them, go for it.

Keep in mind that for churches in some European countries, knees must be covered to enter churches (e.g., Italy, Greece, not sure about Spain but probably in smaller towns). Same for mosques (e.g., Istanbul).

• Like 1