Skirted leggings in Europe?

crewsgirl

I am debating on bringing a pair of skirted leggings to Europe. We are planning to tour the Sagrada Familia and we will climb one of the towers. Yikes, would it be horrendous to wear a pair of skirted leggings? Basically, I am thinking black and a conservative top. See attached picture. I had planned a maxi dress for the visit, but just read that coming back down the stairs is a real jaunt/workout. I don't really want to do it in a long dress. Interested in your ideas. And what good alternatives you might suggest. I don't love shorts, and of course, they can't be worn in the churches. I am planning mostly easy care dresses for our other excursions. TIA

31urtEMNXYL._AC_.jpg

I get your reluctance to wear a long dress when climbing stairs is involved.  The alternative that I can think of (and what I would probably wear) is slacks.  Even if it is hot, linen pants can be very comfortable, and conservative enough for cathedrals.

• Like 1

hmmm, crisp linen is lovely, but I hate looking all wrinkled with creases everywhere by the end of the day. Probably not going to happen. I am reading Rick Steves and a few other travel forums, including this informative blog about travel skirts, and while I don't love the one she selected, the very first one on her list is a skirt with leggings. It meets all the criteria of being culturally correct and being covered in a conservative manner. https://www.women-on-the-road.com/travel-skirt.html A billowing flowy skirt doesn't sound like the best thing to descend the tower in either...... 

How about something more like this. A legging skirt but not quite so gym looking.

I love my short legging skirts but wouldn't wear one touring a major European city - but that's just me, you do you. 

Cheers, h.

oops sorry the pic is so big

71puc1y35XL._AC_UL1500_.jpg

yes, the longer skirt is fine, and checks the boxes, but a bit awkward looking to me, its still better than the one on the travel blog link I posted above. Or, I could probably just do lightweight slim fitting pants. I am still in the process of planning this travel wardrobe. Definitely doing the maxi dress in Rome to the Vatican. 

• Like 1

I would avoid the leggings and skirt combo. Not just from a looks stand point…if you’re concerned about heat, then I think anything too fitted is a mistake and definitely the double layer seems stifling to me. I did a quick read about the towers and the articles I read said, “the stairs are narrow, dark, and very crowded.” So definitely don’t be dealing with a skirt of any sort.

Ive recently purchased some lightweight jogger style hiking pants that I think are street worthy. Paired with some classic street sneakers, you would fit right in with what I observed when I was in Barcelona the one and only time I was there.

https://www.rei.com/product/187025/athleta-trekkie-north-jogger-pants-womens

Why I would choose these pants…comfort, breathable, water resistant (I’ve sat on damp benches and not had them affect these pants), and IMO street worthy. Zippered pockets are a plus. They are also snag resistant so if your rubbing against a tower wall or others… and the jogger style will also keep others from accidentally snagging you or potentially stepping on your billowy fabric in the worst case stairwell of my imagination.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

I would avoid the leggings and skirt combo. Not just from a looks stand point…if you’re concerned about heat, then I think anything too fitted is a mistake and definitely the double layer seems stifling to me. I did a quick read about the towers and the articles I read said, “the stairs are narrow, dark, and very crowded.” So definitely don’t be dealing with a skirt of any sort.

Ive recently purchased some lightweight jogger style hiking pants that I think are street worthy. Paired with some classic street sneakers, you would fit right in with what I observed when I was in Barcelona the one and only time I was there.

Why I would choose these pants…comfort, breathable, water resistant (I’ve sat on damp benches and not had them affect these pants), and IMO street worthy. Zippered pockets are a plus. They are also snag resistant so if your rubbing against a tower wall or others… and the jogger style will also keep others from accidentally snagging you or potentially stepping on your billowy fabric in the worst case stairwell of my imagination.

Yea, I agree, that longer skirt is ugh..ugh...ugly. "Narrow, dark, and very crowded" doesn't sound like my style either, ugh again. But, the view at the top is supposed to be amazing, and a lifetime experience. Our best Germany trip was to the outside top of the Cathedral in Cologne, and I don't remember what I wore, but it was amazing! I have some hiker pants that are again, pretty ugly, but more similar to your link and I can come up with something. Actually, the skirted leggings in my first picture are incredibly lightweight and super comfy, would be great for plane wear as well, so the double layer is not stifling at all in that first pic, great for exercise while still being well covered. I just can't hack that long skirt, lol. 

• Like 1

I only wear skirts and dresses, and as a plus-sized gal, I wear bike shorts under my skirts to avoid the dreaded chub rub. I generally wear knee-length or longer skirts, so the shorts don't show, but I don't have huge amounts of leg showing either. 

You can get really excellent undershorts from Thigh Society - their cooling fabric actually does what it says on the tin, and they're very comfortable - not control-wear at all, just a comfortable extra layer. 

My favourite skirts currently come from eShakti - you can get standard sizes (up to a size 30, I think?), or for a slight up-charge, have them custom-sized for you (useful if you're not a standard size.) Plus, all (or almost all) of their skirts and dresses have pockets, which I'm a fan of. 

• Like 1

Take a look at Rip Skirt Hawaii.  4 different lengths of wrap skirts and a sport skirt.  Sizes 0 to 22.  I’m thinking of getting a length 3 to use as my “going to the church “ skirt.

But I wear leggings with very short insulated skirts in the winter.  Taking one or two of them on my Alaska cruise this weekend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Take a look at Rip Skirt Hawaii.  4 different lengths of wrap skirts and a sport skirt.  Sizes 0 to 22.  I’m thinking of getting a length 3 to use as my “going to the church “ skirt.

But I wear leggings with very short insulated skirts in the winter.  Taking one or two of them on my Alaska cruise this weekend.

Love Rip Skirt Hawaii, those are great! So fun. and yes, leggings with skirts are perfect for Alaska. You will have so much fun. Those skirts make me think Caribbean fun for sure! 

Hiking pants don't seem so dressed up, anyway and skirted leggings are a bit more feminine to me.I am planning a few casual knit dresses, but they all seem to hit right at the knee or above, not sure that is the best for climbing down those stairs either. 

I may get rebellious, and say to heck with it, and follow the lady on the Rick Steves forum that said, "When we were at Sagrada Familia in October 2022 there were women in short shorts and tank tops, and plenty in mini dresses with spaghetti straps. Wear whatever will make you feel most comfortable walking down the stairs."

Or the next commenter there that said, "We were also there in October 2022 and no one checked any for modesty. It isn’t like in Italy."

Now, the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel.....that's different. Maxi dress all the way. They don't have 504 spiral steps in a dark, narrow crowded space that I am going to climb down. 

21 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

My favorite joggers!!

Wider volume cropped pants seem to be everywhere in Europe (as opposed to leggings or skinny crops/capris). And they are cooler in the heat. Last year I got a pair of gauze wide crops by Eileen Fisher at the end of the season and they are great -- don't wrinkle like linen but light and cool. They are made in a way that there is a double layer of the material, so they're not see-through or too limp. 

If I was going to Europe this summer, I'd definitely take them for a situation like this.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Wider volume cropped pants seem to be everywhere in Europe (as opposed to leggings or skinny crops/capris). And they are cooler in the heat. Last year I got a pair of gauze wide crops by Eileen Fisher at the end of the season and they are great -- don't wrinkle like linen but light and cool. They are made in a way that there is a double layer of the material, so they're not see-through or too limp. 

If I was going to Europe this summer, I'd definitely take them for a situation like this.

Gauze pants! Great suggestion, I can do that. 

18 hours ago, geocruiser said:

How about just the plain leggings and a long top?

Yes, I could do that as well. I am now considering wide leg knit capris....as an update to leggings. What do you think of that? 

18 hours ago, geocruiser said:

How about just the plain leggings and a long top?

That's what I would wear.

As somebody in Europe, I had never even heard of 'skirted leggings' before, let alone seen somebody wearing them 

11 minutes ago, crewsgirl said:

Yes, I could do that as well. I am now considering wide leg knit capris....as an update to leggings. What do you think of that? 

Capri's would be fine 

44 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

That's what I would wear.

As somebody in Europe, I had never even heard of 'skirted leggings' before, let alone seen somebody wearing them 

Capri's would be fine 

oh, then maybe it would start a new trend! lol, I love skirted leggings in the fall, gives a little more coverage than just leggings, and great for on the go. It also provides a concealed pocket (usually for my pickleball, but could work for cash/id/credit card, as well. Capris are falling out of favor according to the info I am reading, dated and for old women, lol. I need an update! 

okay, I do have a great dress from TravelSmith, so I checked them out and this is their new look

What do we think of this? I like these, they don't seem like they would wrinkle, knit rather than linen or gauze, and I could use my money belt under this pretty easily. 

https://www.travelsmith.com/itemdy00.aspx?ID=121,3965&T1=MB2333+BK+S

lf.jpg

• Like 1

Love Eileen Fisher, doubt I will be baring any midriff for a tie shirt, but I love those pants. I am not a fan of a big drawstring that always seems to get in the way, so I like those! And slant pockets are another plus!

As a result of all your ideas, thoughts, comments, I actually just ordered these linen blend wide leg crops and I can wear them for lots of outings. Been a long time since I had any pleated pants, lol. But apparently, they are a thing. 

linencrops.jpg.19943773d61c33c83f8b8ec3d4342725.jpg

I am also following the Rick Steves travel forum on this issue, and they are quite frank, to be honest, I am now rethinking if I really want to climb the tower. I have had an ACL/MCL/Meniscus reconstruction Left Knee, and currently have a torn meniscus (healing) on the Right knee, it would be a nightmare if we started the trip with any issues climbing down spiral stairs in the dark, lol. I might pass on it after all. 

• Like 1