Skirted leggings in Europe?

crewsgirl

58 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

To me they look like tennis clothing, but... if you like them, go for it.

Keep in mind that for churches in some European countries, knees must be covered to enter churches (e.g., Italy, Greece, not sure about Spain but probably in smaller towns). Same for mosques (e.g., Istanbul).

In Istanbul I was wearing cropped pants and was told my ankles needed to be covered to go in the mosque.  So…..I pulled my pants lower on my waist and covered those ankles…..It felt weird and my pants were definitely sagging, but….my ankles were covered!  Luckily I had a long top on so my waist/hips were covered by the top.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

To me they look like tennis clothing, but... if you like them, go for it.

Keep in mind that for churches in some European countries, knees must be covered to enter churches (e.g., Italy, Greece, not sure about Spain but probably in smaller towns). Same for mosques (e.g., Istanbul).

I love skorts normally, but for the churches on our Med cruise I know they won't fly.  I'm 5'8" and my skorts aren't anywhere near my knee.  I do not like capris at all either.  I tend to wear flats and they look super frumpy to me.  I have some capri jeans that are cuffed that are okay, but that's about it.  I remember wearing culottes as a kid and the wide legged ones remind me of that.  Not my style but great if someone else likes it.  I'm waiting to dig my summer clothes out (live in the NE and it's still cold here) to figure out what's coming on our trip and what I need to buy.  Our trip is the first week of July so I know it's going to be hot.  This should be interesting.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crewsgirl said:

I understand the reasoning for the bike shorts, but just too bulky and layered for me ... 

Eh, yeah, the ones I have are thick enough to be "real shorts".  But I like them, and they are definitely practical under a casual dress for an active day.  

I'm pretty sure you can get thinner under-shorts, but I don't personally have any of them.  

50 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

In Istanbul I was wearing cropped pants and was told my ankles needed to be covered to go in the mosque ... 

I wouldn't have known that, but it's a good reason to do your homework before traveling!  

7 minutes ago, gail-s said:

I love skorts normally, but for the churches on our Med cruise I know they won't fly.  I'm 5'8" and my skorts aren't anywhere near my knee. 

I'm only 4'11" and most of mine are just over my knee.  A comfortable length, in my opinion.  

7 minutes ago, gail-s said:

... I remember wearing culottes as a kid and the wide legged ones remind me of that ...

I remember other kids wearing those.  I never did.

“As somebody in Europe, I had never even heard of 'skirted leggings' before, let alone seen somebody wearing them”

I have a pair of black skirted leggings from Eileen Fisher that are 10 years old.  Several companies put them out at that time. For a while they were called “skeggings”  but that was quickly dropped. LOL.  As an alternative many collections including EF also sold short black mini skirts in their collections that year to wear over leggings.  Some companies put out a padded winter version. The original intent was to allow the more mature woman to wear shorter tops with leggings and extend their existing wardrobe ( or in the case of EF sell you a new shorter top!). 
————————————————————————-

In Italy, Spain, France last summer the wide legged capris ( crops/gauchos if you prefer) were very popular but they have been around for a few summers pre-Covid.  I saw them on all ages.   I have a pair of black Ted Baker wide-leg crop/capris that are at least 5 years old.   They tend to be popular with “old ladies” because they are less restricting on swollen arthritic knees but you see them on all ages.  

IMO almost anything goes in the cities of Europe these days but skorts over the age of 35 are a real faux pas ….for golf maybe but not as street wear….but what do I know …

Edited by Cancun01
  • Like 1

This is how the EF skirted legging was originally intended to be worn.   I am not a fan of this particular top but this illustrates the length of the top …too short for more mature women to wear with leggings alone but gives a more sophisticated/more “rear” coverage when worn with the EF extender skirted legging.  It finishes the look. May be too warm for summer in Europe IMO.image.thumb.jpeg.139c8db61c799588fd739331aff44e40.jpeg

Edited by Cancun01

11 minutes ago, Cancun01 said:

This is how the EF skirted legging was originally intended to be worn.   I am not a fan of this particular top but this illustrates the length of the top …too short for more mature women to wear with leggings alone but gives a more sophisticated/more “rear” coverage when worn with the EF extender skirted legging.  It finishes the look. May be too warm for summer in Europe IMO.image.thumb.jpeg.139c8db61c799588fd739331aff44e40.jpeg

i agree, the top doesn't do a thing for her body, but yes, a mini skirt with attached full length leggings is great for fall/winter. Cabi also did skirted leggings ~8 years ago, and I loved them for fall/winter then too. Looks too hot for the Med in June. I'm probably going to opt for a cap sleeve midi dress, and skip doing those beastly stairs. 

• Like 2

I live in a hot climate and cannot imagine wearing leggings during the summer. Non-organic fabrics close to the skin are just misery.  I find it very comfortable to wear casual skirts and dresses in hot weather.  I do wear skorts and did notice  while browsing today some new skort designs which aren’t so sporty.  

• Like 2

On 5/2/2023 at 9:20 PM, Cancun01 said:

I have never seen such an outfit.  If would not wear it.  

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 9:36 PM, crewsgirl said:

i agree, the top doesn't do a thing for her body, but yes, a mini skirt with attached full length leggings is great for fall/winter. Cabi also did skirted leggings ~8 years ago, and I loved them for fall/winter then too. Looks too hot for the Med in June. I'm probably going to opt for a cap sleeve midi dress, and skip doing those beastly stairs. 

A cap sleeve midi dress would be a better option than skirted leggings in Barcelona in June…IMO…maybe less “fun” but certainly cooler.  We have been there in May/June in 4 of the past 8 years.  The end of May was very hot last year.  If I may suggest… if you go in the cable car at Montjuïc (sp?) you may wish to consider linen/cotton or even bamboo crops of some sort or some of the other suggestions in this thread…I found EF linen/cotton mix ( less wrinkles!) lantern pants  with cotton gauze tops worked well and were presentable every where ( if you stop for a nice lunch etc) …in the end the only opinion that matters is yours so just please yourself.  I would skip the beastly stairs.  😳

• Like 1

Any recommendations for men’s linen pants?  DH had a great pair from Banana Republic but now everything is skinny and tapered, not the look he’s going for. Looking for something straight leg and a bit loose so to be actually comfortable. 

5 minutes ago, gail-s said:

Any recommendations for men’s linen pants?  DH had a great pair from Banana Republic but now everything is skinny and tapered, not the look he’s going for. Looking for something straight leg and a bit loose so to be actually comfortable. 

Bought DH a lovely pair at Nordstrom Rack this week for $35, brand is 14th & Union. DH really likes them

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, gail-s said:

Tommy Bahama has all kinds of linen for both men and women. Just be aware, the prices can be quite $$$$.......though sometimes they do have sales.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, gail-s said:

Try searching “beach pants” if you are looking for a casual look 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gail-s said:

Cubavera brand sold at Macys. Often on sale. DH has been wearing these for literally years. Perfect warm weather pants that are comfortable but look nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2023 at 8:26 PM, Cancun01 said:

IMO almost anything goes in the cities of Europe these days but skorts over the age of 35 are a real faux pas ….for golf maybe but not as street wear….but what do I know …

I'm 60 and wear skorts all summer long. When it's 90 and the humidity is almost the same, it's one of the coolest options out there.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2023 at 6:59 AM, Lois R said:

Tommy Bahama has all kinds of linen for both men and women. Just be aware, the prices can be quite $$$$.......though sometimes they do have sales.

Hubby is a Tommy Bahama linen pants fan.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2023 at 4:29 PM, PurpleHays said:

I'm 60 and wear skorts all summer long. When it's 90 and the humidity is almost the same, it's one of the coolest options out there.

I agree…they are very popular for all ages in North America…my comment was in reference to the OP’s options for Barcelona…although less and less, as you no doubt know, many places still exist in Europe that frown on/deny entry to those wearing shorts/skorts.

Edited by Cancun01
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Cancun01 said:

I agree…they are very popular for all ages in North America…my comment was in reference to the OP’s options for Barcelona…although less and less, as you no doubt know, many places still exist in Europe that frown on/deny entry to those wearing shorts/skorts.

Why would they deny entry for wearing a skort?   You don’t know mine have shorts built in under the skirt unless you lift the skirt and look.    They look just like a skirt. 

My husband will be traveling with 2 amazing pairs of Bluffworks pants. They have hidden zippered pockets, resist stains, never wrinkle, super lightweight, and so comfortable. Navy and khaki and he’s set. He updated his travel wardrobe with Nautical performance wear button up shirts and I can’t believe how easy it for a man to pack for 10 days in Europe. Linen is such a wrinkled mess after 1 wear. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

Why would they deny entry for wearing a skort?   You don’t know mine have shorts built in under the skirt unless you lift the skirt and look.    They look just like a skirt. 

I think because most skorts are above the knee in length. I have purchased 19” skorts and they hit just barely above the knee but some places specify that knees must be covered. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, crewsgirl said:

I think because most skorts are above the knee in length. I have purchased 19” skorts and they hit just barely above the knee but some places specify that knees must be covered. 

That makes more sense…. The issue is knees showing not wearing a skort.  Most skirts and dresses I have show knees too so I usually wear capris or cropped pants when knees have to be covered.   I use a pashmina to cover my head and shoulders when that is required.  

• Like 1