Live from Seaside 4/27

Tom-n-Cheryl

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Tom-n-Cheryl was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

This is our first cruise with MSC. We status matched at diamond, and boarded promptly today at 11:00 a.m.

We are not able to book specialty restaurants ahead of time either by design, or website issues. It was not offered. First thing after getting on the ship was to go to the Yacht Club concierge to request butchers cut and Ocean Cay restaurant reservations for tonight and Saturday.

It looks like we're going to be out of luck, unless follow-up calls by the concierge later prove fruitful. Apparently others were able to book ahead of time... that would be a group cruise through Expedia who booked all specialty reservations for all nights. Amazing!

We waited until a little after 12:00 in the Top Sail lounge and then proceeded up to the restaurant. It's schedule shows it as opening at noon. However, when we arrived we were told they were not going to be opening until 12:30.

More to come ...

• Like 3

I think you will enjoy the YC restaurant so don't worry about that but I am surprised that they are all booked.  I would ask again as the concierge normally can get you in.  I would take it to the YC director if they say no again.   

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, jlandryst said:

Is the YC tent hard to get to and locate at the port?

We dropped off our luggage with the porters but not at the tent. Once we figured things out and found the tent our luggage was already there!

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

It looks like we're going to be out of luck, unless follow-up calls by the concierge later prove fruitful. Apparently others were able to book ahead of time... that would be a group cruise through Expedia who booked all specialty reservations for all nights. Amazing!

Our local Expedia owner is on your sailing.  She told us that MSC invited Expedia group to sail as a working cruise so Expedia can show MSC a few things (do not know the number). MSC Seaside must set aside those specialty restaurants for them as a treat.

Hope they can work you in those specialty restaurants.

We will be on Seaside very soon.  Can't wait.

Edited by ChattTenn

Have a conversation with YC Director. They will go overboard to make you happy. We had a similar situation and they got us in one restaurant and for Butchers Cut arranged the dinner to be served in the YC dining room 

Edited by tony s
  • Like 1

Hi Tom-n-Cheryl!

If you are able to post the daily programs and dinner menus that would be amazing! You are on the same itinerary I will be sailing, so I'm super interested in any info you have.

I'll certainly be following this thread!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tony s said:

Have a conversation with YC Director. They will go overboard to make you happy. We had a similar situation and they got us in one restaurant and for Butchers Cut arranged the dinner to be served in the YC dining room 

It's worth looking into. Just found a nice two topper in the yacht Club restaurant.

Looking forward to virtually cruising with you!  🙂

Sorry to hear about the special dining issue.  Hopefully, something will work out.

Edited by APDMOM
typo

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Yes, but I shouldn't have to play games once onboard 

Would be even more interesting if this Expedia group has "Access" to the YC venues as a courtesy of MSC, (those with cabins not in the YC). Good luck finding an available pergola. Sometimes the course of events, like large groups that are not advertised, force one to "play games" in order to get service one has normally become accustomed to in the YC.

• Like 3

Maybe disappointing, but we have been on two cruises in the last year in YC and didn't go to a speciality restaurant for either one. We enjoyed the YC restaurant a lot. And, like others have mentioned, you can put in a request for something special if you'd really like (with some notice).  I wouldn't let that get you down too much. Enjoy what YC has to offer.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

It's worth looking into. Just found a nice two topper in the yacht Club restaurant.

Fyi,

The specialty restaurants are usually open on sea days for lunch.

I would also point out as a diamond member one of your perks is a specialty dinner, so ask the YC director to sort that out.

Another thing you might want to do is have the specialty food served in your cabin or in YC restaurant.

I am currently on Splendida and I have been having the same lobster as the specialty restaurant in our restaurant. 

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.  will be on Seaside in May.  A little nervous as the available cabins for our cruise all disappeared yesterday and the cruise itself (5/14/23) is no longer available on MSC to book.  I wonder if they have done a similar move with the remaining cabins on our cruise with inviting a group like Expedia to be onboard.  

Edit:  just looked again today and now there are Aurea suites available that were not there yesterday and some balcony rooms.  but YC says booked.  I was hoping to win a YC upgrade for 2 rooms.  no looking good now.  

Edited by herdfans4