Misleading photo

kruzseeka

10 minutes ago, D&N said:

I'm hoping this will be available for lunch tomorrow. It will be very tasty without any breadcrumbs or batter.

345172209_787091209598983_88576486532217

Looks absolutely delicious, as is a Cod Fish Finger Sandwich, neither of which can remotely be compared to one another!  😁

and as I have had only one CFFS in the last year and am now experiencing immediate severe withdrawal symptoms, I will put my order in for one on holiday! 👍

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

Very familiar with Blue Heaven, although for the life of me I can't recall ever eating key lime pie there.

I haven't heard of Blond Giraffe.  Tavernier is just a place to drive through on the way down.  Isn't there some restaurant that has billboards for a giant fish sandwich in Tavernier, or am I thinking of a different island?

Blond Giraffe used to make their excellent pies in Marathon… but then they closed there and opened a location in Tavernier… I often think of the newest location as in between Tavernier and Islamorada.

Absolutely worth a stop at Blond Giraffe.

Also

If you ever make it back to Blue Heaven in Key West, the pie is also quite delicious… plus it is such a neat place. One night we were there with live reggae music- awesome.

I have not had the fish sandwich from the place with the Billboard… but my brother in law did… he said it was just ok. Ha!

I have eaten the lobster rueben sandwich from Keys Fisheries… that sandwich has a billboard too.

I do love the fish sandwich from Herbie’s in Marathon.

(I come to the Keys with our RV (caravan) every year- why I know so much about them)

In the absence of the cod/gnocchi dish (they only had it yesterday) I decided on this threatening chap here:

A7C01813.thumb.JPG.1345a373fe4271c9ea69ce3e2332021c.JPG

Which was promptly put to the sword! (a knife really, but what's wrong with a bit of exaggeration!)

A7C01825.thumb.JPG.73e570025c99219ad96f4ae6c15f73ae.JPG

• Haha 1

Not an eel. Presented as Loup de Mer (wolf of the sea), and some folk here call it seabass.

It's one of the most common fish here, probably farmed. There are many small farm pens along the coast. Wild caught versions are probably tastier, but it's quite nice white fish.

Usually served gutted but head and tail left on. We prefer it that way as we'll spend more time making sure that we get all the edible flesh out of it than the chef would if they filleted it.

• Like 1

Didn't think too much about it at time but just realised how they did that. Usually it will be gutted traditionally with a slit along the under belly. That was done from the top allowing them to open it out and remove the bits before baking it. Then some of the veg and pasta was placed in the open fish. The two sides were still joined at the bottom.

• Like 2

Techteach, I am in the camp with you of no heads, please. Years ago, we were travelling through the Cotswolds and stopped for lunch at a beautiful little cafe. I ordered a salad that featured very large prawns (is that redundant?). When it arrived, there were two heads with eyeballs looking right at me.

I shrieked (quietly, I must say, but cue the Ugly American music), and the server took the plate to the kitchen to have the prawns beheaded for me. So, you are not alone, though I don’t think I would have that strong a reaction now.

• Like 1

oh marketing..... I still remember  crying the first time I went to a Mc Donalds and the disappointment and frustration of opening a Big Mac lil box and....well, you know.

At least with a cruise itinerary, in this day and age where the internet in general and especially those "influencers" go to extreme on creative license, we can search the cruise itinerary and see the places we will go...  

The food marketing/inflated photography frustrates me in extreme...

oh and @Victoria2 I reckon am with you on the pleb taste.... not so much fish fiungers these days (more a thing until my daughter was 12 or so) but we cook at home some breaded/ battered chicken/fish/meats that are marvellous!!!

@exlondoner though I agree with you on the fish finger sandwich not being appealing...if you ever are back in London, we ll cook for you some stuff with bread crumbs and some battered food that are delish!!!!! 

Fish fingers. Perhaps they are similar to what were called Fish Sticks. They came out of a box and mom popped them onto a pan and into the oven. Best eaten with loads of ketchup. Just remembering them brings a visceral fishy smell. I wouldn’t touch one now. I wonder how many people won’t eat fish as adults because they had to eat fish sticks as a kid.

21 minutes ago, techteach said:

Fish fingers. Perhaps they are similar to what were called Fish Sticks. They came out of a box and mom popped them onto a pan and into the oven. Best eaten with loads of ketchup. Just remembering them brings a visceral fishy smell. I wouldn’t touch one now. I wonder how many people won’t eat fish as adults because they had to eat fish sticks as a kid.

Or, how many youngsters, now enjoy fish due to being introduced to fish fingers. 🙂

I put the original ones eaten as a child, in the same category as well known franchise burgers and not to be confused with those from my fishmonger or  my butcher.

We  have seafood sticks over here but they're not battered and are eaten cold. Not my cup of tea, especially when the ingredients are read.

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Or, how many youngsters, now enjoy fish due to being introduced to fish fingers. 🙂

I put the original ones eaten as a child, in the same category as well known franchise burgers and not to be confused with those from my fishmonger or  my butcher.

We  have seafood sticks over here but they're not battered and are eaten cold. Not my cup of tea, especially when the ingredients are read.

Yes, I agree about seafood sticks, deeply yucky.

if you’re talking about Birdseye, their fish fingers really are made out of quality Icelandic cod. Nothing to criticise there…except the bread crumbs.

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Yes, I agree about seafood sticks, deeply yucky.

if you’re talking about Birdseye, their fish fingers really are made out of quality Icelandic cod. Nothing to criticise there…except the bread crumbs.

It's so long since I ate anything Bird's Eye, I couldn't tell you what was in them  or the ingredients other than the fact I remember enjoying them.

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

It's so long since I ate anything Bird's Eye, I couldn't tell you what was in them  or the ingredients other than the fact I remember enjoying them.

Not even a frozen pea?

Luckily my parents took me on a trip to England when I was 3.

I fell in love with real Fish & Chips there.

AND

Being from the Southern US, we would sometimes enjoy an actual big fish fry with the family. We also traveled often to the Lowcountry to get seafood there too.

So

I was not scared off of eating and enjoying fish by the measly frozen fish stick as a kid. 
Ha!

• Like 1

The ones that were first being introduced to the us were Mrs Paul's and were very good and well accepted.

We also got Homemade Fish Cakes from our local fish store well known in the area and were really great.

Now a days in a pinch there are Gordon's which are not at all bad and accepted. I know there are many, many personal opinions in Cruise Foodies about food and products. We have to accept what one likes or enjoys and may not be accepted by another.

I know my family brought us up with good quality food which involved fish. So I can not personally remark on others acceptance and personal attraction to taste.  

• Like 1

Fish had to be flown in or caught in a lake. Trout, smelt, sunfish. We now eat fish twice a week because we live close to quality fish. But, those fish sticks weren’t quality, knowing my mom they were the cheapest in the freezer section. Now I’m craving fish and chips!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, techteach said:

Fish had to be flown in or caught in a lake. Trout, smelt, sunfish. We now eat fish twice a week because we live close to quality fish. But, those fish sticks weren’t quality, knowing my mom they were the cheapest in the freezer section. Now I’m craving fish and chips!

Once on board, who will get to the Golden Lion First for F&C.....Do you know that it is open on Embarkation Day for lunch. Never tried it yet on ED and don't know how crowded it can be. We normally go at tackle KC..Being Diamond we still miss some of the good stuff because they run out of it from the ones boarding before us at the KC.

@BklynBoy8 I know the Golden Lion is open on embarkation, we just never made it there at all. Every time we walked past it was packed.  But DH just said he is willing to go. Since we’ve now been on QM2 I think we’ll explore more on this next cruise. We ate every meal in the QG on our TA, partly because we had a lovely people sitting around us, and the food was very good. I’m more inclined to order a salad in the QG than in the Golden Lion. 🙂

6 hours ago, techteach said:

@BklynBoy8 I know the Golden Lion is open on embarkation, we just never made it there at all. Every time we walked past it was packed.  But DH just said he is willing to go. Since we’ve now been on QM2 I think we’ll explore more on this next cruise. We ate every meal in the QG on our TA, partly because we had a lovely people sitting around us, and the food was very good. I’m more inclined to order a salad in the QG than in the Golden Lion. 🙂

I know what you mean. We on a regular basis find it challenging. People sitting with a drink looking out the windows. I think if there is a trivia or bingo game at 11, come towards the end and run for the tables opening. We never got to try on ED since the room is close to Deck 7 so why go down below. I know we had a friend that found eating in Carinthia more than the others for Breakfast and Lunch. Oh well, with bring a new friend first time this sailing, not sure where we will land. Feel sorry since QG & PG open at 1 on ED, why can't Britannia Club open too. They know our table seating for the evening and the rest of the sailing, why not open. Maybe the kitchens are open yet. 

I always eat at Golden Lion on embarkation day and never have a problem getting a table. Have priority boarding because of loyalty status. I guess all the Grills folk getting on before me don’t want to eat there. Sometimes I have to wait until they start serving food as I am too early. Eat there probably every couple of days too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1