Bermuda from NY in December.... yay or nay?

Viamin_Sea_26

Debating adding one more trip to the end of this year, to take DH's mom on her first cruise.

We can only do 5 days due to limiting issues, and Mom doesn't want to fly, so that leaves the only port in driving distance NY.

Heard seas (especially in winter) out of NY can be rough, and also heard that Bermuda isn't that warm in December.  We're from New England, so still warmer from home.

Anyone gone on this and have pros/cons?  Especially if taking a first timer?

Ship is Norwegian Getaway if that makes a difference in navigating potentially rougher seas.

Not the best time to visit, but temps are likely to be in low 70’s - both air and seawater, so it will probably be better than any New Hampshire beach in summer.  Also, the ship calls at the Dockyard - which in peak season is a mob scene tourist trap, so being on the only ship in makes it better.

Sailing down the Hudson out of New York any time of year is a great experience.

1 hour ago, Viamin_Sea_26 said:

We're from New England, so still warmer from home.

The locals don't consider it beach weather but since you are from New England that may not the same for you. The beach concessions that exist at a few beaches (chair rentals)  close at some point in the winter.  I am not sure when.The air temperature should be pleasent for touring. 

Edited by Charles4515

Many winter cruises to Bermuda this year were rerouted to other ports because of weather conditions. That's not to say it will happen again, but there's probably a somewhat greater chance of that happening in winter than in spring or summer.

• Like 1

I'd look at the weather topic as I look at which cities I'll connect in when flying in winter from California.  How much of a chance do I want to take?  The weather may be just great, may be kinda ugly, may be just awful.  If it's awful and nobody gets seasick, it will still be a pleasant cruise.  If she won't fly, what else are ya gonna do?

1 hour ago, George C said:

I would never go in December way to cold for me , might be ok for golf.

The other thing that has not been mentioned is that the first day out to sea and the last day back to New York it is not going to be warm so the pool deck on the ship is out. I did NCL Breakaway out of New York in December and we didn’t use the outside deck much. Also my balcony was pretty much not used as it was freezing on it when the ship was moving. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The other thing that has not been mentioned is that the first day out to sea and the last day back to New York it is not going to be warm so the pool deck on the ship is out. I did NCL Breakaway out of New York in December and we didn’t use the outside deck much. Also my balcony was pretty much not used as it was freezing on it when the ship was moving. 

We did Bermuda in May and first and last sea day were too cold to use the pool. 

23 hours ago, Viamin_Sea_26 said:

Debating adding one more trip to the end of this year, to take DH's mom on her first cruise.

We can only do 5 days due to limiting issues, and Mom doesn't want to fly, so that leaves the only port in driving distance NY.

Heard seas (especially in winter) out of NY can be rough, and also heard that Bermuda isn't that warm in December.  We're from New England, so still warmer from home.

Anyone gone on this and have pros/cons?  Especially if taking a first timer?

Ship is Norwegian Getaway if that makes a difference in navigating potentially rougher seas.

We have cruised to Bermuda 11 times in December from NY

On 4/30/2023 at 7:04 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Not the best time to visit, but temps are likely to be in low 70’s - both air and seawater, so it will probably be better than any New Hampshire beach in summer.

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I did NCL Breakaway out of New York in December and we didn’t use the outside deck much. Also my balcony was pretty much not used as it was freezing on it when the ship was moving. 

Thanks for the intel!  Apparently Mom is more interested in the entertainment rather than beaches, so hopefully it's warm enough docked at Bermuda for a couple days to make the balcony worth it.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have cruised to Bermuda 11 times in December from NY

December is off season and an unusual time of year to sail to Bermuda. What ships did you sail to Bermuda on 11 times? What did you like about Bermuda in December? 

21 minutes ago, Viamin_Sea_26 said:

Thanks for the intel!  Apparently Mom is more interested in the entertainment rather than beaches, so hopefully it's warm enough docked at Bermuda for a couple days to make the balcony worth it.

As long as she has no expectation of sitting out in the sun on the beach she will be fine. By entertainment I presume you mean onboard the ship? 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

As long as she has no expectation of sitting out in the sun on the beach she will be fine. By entertainment I presume you mean onboard the ship? 

You are talking about people from New Hampshire - where the sea water temperature NEVER gets as warm as it is in Bermuda in December - and where sunny and warm days in December are quite common. Sure, it’s not ideal, but having spent several winters in New Hampshire, I would leap at this opportunity.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You are talking about people from New Hampshire - where the sea water temperature NEVER gets as warm as it is in Bermuda in December - and where sunny and warm days in December are quite common. Sure, it’s not ideal, but having spent several winters in New Hampshire, I would leap at this opportunity.

It might reach 70. That is warm to you? December is one of the months with the least sunshine in Bermuda.  I get the feeling though they mostly want to be on a ship so temps and sun in Bermuda don't really matter to them. Getaway is a going to have plenty to do onboard and there is some chance they will be rerouted in December because of weather conditions. I am just giving them realistic expectations. They could luck out with weather in the 70's, sunny days and calm seas in December. But on the other hand....

Edited by Charles4515

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

It might reach 70. That is warm to you? December is one of the months with the least sunshine in Bermuda.  I get the feeling though they mostly want to be on a ship so temps and sun in Bermuda don't really matter to them. Getaway is a going to have plenty to do onboard and there is some chance they will be rerouted in December because of weather conditions. 

I did not say it was particularly warm to me - but it would be warm for someone leaving New Hampshire in December.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I did not say it was particularly warm to me - but it would be warm for someone leaving New Hampshire in December.

65 to 70 degrees with sunshine is my idea of perfect  travel weather.   I'd only be concerned about storms ... and there's nothing much you can do about that.

10 hours ago, jsn55 said:

65 to 70 degrees with sunshine is my idea of perfect  travel weather.   I'd only be concerned about storms ... and there's nothing much you can do about that.

And, in December, you are out of the hurricane season and not at risk of hitting a Spring equinox storm — probably one of the calmer Atlantic months.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I love Bermuda but there is reason why winter is the off season there and the airlines cut service or don't fly there. There is not much to do unless you golf as all the water related busnesses stop operating and the beach concessions close. I would be bored in Bermuda in December as I love beaches. That is why I keep mentioning the temps. A lot of people don't do their research and think Bermuda is in the Caribbean and has a tropical climate. The public ferry only runs from the Dockyard to St. George from May through October. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

And, in December, you are out of the hurricane season and not at risk of hitting a Spring equinox storm — probably one of the calmer Atlantic months.

No one can predict the weather but NCL is the only mainsteam cruise line that sails to Bermuda in December, January, February and March and last winter about half their sailings had to divert from Bermuda because of rough seas and high winds. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Viamin_Sea_26 said:

That's a lot of data points... were seas as rough as I hear they can be, or is it hit or miss like anything else?

The sea was only rough once.Actually a cruise from NY in July to Bermuda was the worst as far as the sea.

15 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

December is off season and an unusual time of year to sail to Bermuda. What ships did you sail to Bermuda on 11 times? What did you like about Bermuda in December? 

I sailled on HAL.I like being in Bermuda in any month.

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

I sailled on HAL.I like being in Bermuda in any month.

That must have been a long time ago as HAL has not sailed to Bermuda in December for over 20 years at least. I don't like the winter months because beach weather is a priority but you probably docked in Hamilton and or St. George.  At least you would have been able to walk to restaurants and the departemnt stores that are now long gone.  

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

That must have been a long time ago as HAL has not sailed to Bermuda in December for over 20 years at least. I don't like the winter months because beach weather is a priority but you probably docked in Hamilton and or St. George.  At least you would have been able to walk to restaurants and the departemnt stores that are now long gone.  

Hamilton .My first cruise to Bermuda was in 1973 .

Thanks for all the extra feedback!

Mom is looking to get the cruise entertainment, but I personally have concerns visiting a place for the first time when many things may be closed.  I like to see the culture (and a day on the beach to warm up is always wonderful).

And yes, 70 is warm (not hot) to me.  Keeping in mind we'd be leaving and returning to NYC around 30-40, we'd probably not be able to enjoy outdoor decks while at sea.  I'm not one of *those* NH people that enjoy outdoor activities where frostbite is a probable outcome.  The whole ice bar idea on the last cruise was a hard pass for me when I was escaping cold weather.  😆