Regent versus Oceania

We're booked on the Grandeur next February in an F2 cabin for a 12 night Caribbean cruise.  Oceania has a similar itinerary on their new ship the Vista about the same time.  When I compare the costs all in RSSC vs Oceania (same cabin category, prestige bev pkg and gratuities) it appears I could save about 25%.  No interest in the excursions, so thinking perhaps I should cancel and re-book on Oceania's Vista.  Has anyone sailed on both and have any comments?  We typically sail with Seabourn; tried RSSC once; Crystal many times.  Food and service are most important; entertainment  less so.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  

• Like 1

Well, when you say "same cabin category", that doesn't tell the whole tale I think.  Look at the square footage of the cabins, and the layouts. I just looked at a Concierge Veranda on Vista and it looks tiny by comparison with the standard cabin on, say, Splendor.  No walk-in closet either.

• Like 2

I’ve cruised on both and I would say that the food and the cabins on Regent are significantly better than Oceania. I don’t like that Regent includes shore excursions and won’t provide a credit if you don’t use them. If you count all of the included items on Regent, I have found the cost to be similar, especially if you are wanting international business class air.

• Like 1

Vista’s inaugural cruise is soon, or just happened, so you won’t find many people here who have cruised on both Regent and O’s Vista. I’ve been on 3 O cruises (Marina, Riviera, Sirena) and Regent’s Mariner. Regent is clearly better all around but O is “good enuf” for me. O is terrific IMO, but it’s just that Regent is better.
Going forward I have a 19-day on Voyager and 2 O cruises of similar length reserved. Prices are going up so I’ll be booking fewer cruises in future, sigh!

Our first Regent experience was 32 days on Splendor in January and February of this year.  Not knowing whether Regent would be a good fit for us, we booked a PH-1 Penthouse Suite on Oceania Vista for winter 2024 as backup to a similar 32 day booking on Grandeur.

Our experience on Splendor was over the top and about half way through our cruise we pretty much had our decision for 2024 made.  Still, upon returning, we compared Oceania with Regent for 2024 which confirmed our decision to cancel the Vista booking.  From what we have read about Oceania, we're confident we would have enjoyed cruising on Vista, but now that we have experienced and know Regent it doesn't make sense for us to look elsewhere.

• Like 3

Things that we like better on Oceania: yes, it's the food. Food on Regent is generally very good, but some of the meals on Oceania are memorable and tempt me to go back.

Things we like better on Regent: included business air. By the time we add it to Oceania or Viking (the other 2 lines we use), the price on them is often even higher than Regent.

On some cruises, the included one day pre and 3 day post cruise extension.  Nice to have it all arranged, and the times we have had it, was very nice. Again, if you would add such an extension to other lines, the costs would make Regent sound more reasonable.

The all inclusiveness of Regent. On Oceania, every time you get an alcoholic drink (or a set of them) you have to show your room card, they take it and run it like a credit card, then return it. Cumbersome. Even if you upgrade to the full beverage package (which I believe is additional  $70 per person per day) you have to do this each time. Much more pleasant on Regent where all dining is seamless. 

• Like 6

Thank you all for your thoughts;  we've decided to stick with our Grandeur cruise Feb 5 - 17.  Why?  Many of the staff and crew that we so enjoyed on our Spendor voyage are scheduled to be on the Grandeur .  The excursions we've booked seem attractive even though we've been to ABC and other stops before.   Celebrating the Super Bowl and Valentines Day on RSSC is sure to be great fun.  The savings when the excursions are included is nada over Oceania.  

Thanks again.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, offtoalaska said:

Many of the staff and crew that we so enjoyed on our Spendor voyage are scheduled to be on the Grandeur

That's excellent news...we were hoping we'd be cruising with many of the same staff again.  Most of the staff we sailed with on the Splendor seemed genuinely happy and eager to serve.

Come on over to the Roll Call for the February 5th sailing...we can use some more participants.

• Like 1

I am a long time cruiser on both lines and currently on Mariner for the 2023 World Cruise.  The food is not as nearly good this cruise as I have experience don Oceania. 

As for cabins, in comparing just Mariner to Oceania's Riviera and Marina...O staterooms are far more impressive and maintained than staterooms on Mariner.  However, Mariner is an older aging ship.

Mariner has been chronically understaffed on this sailing in the restaurants and bars which has extended the time for dinner well beyond what I would consider acceptable.  This is not just my impression but those of others on board, including crew.

One major difference in my opinon: "included" excursions on Regent have been mediocre at best, poor in many instances, disappointing overall.  I prefer Oceania's business model which allows one to choose to pay for a ship tour (or make your own arrangements via CC Roll Call with interested others).  Regent guests "paid" for tours  (yes, I know, there is no free lunch) so most are uninterested in organizing private port tours in advance or while onboard. 

My comments are cruise specific to Mariner and my past experience with both lines over 20 years.  That said, after 100+ days on board in 2023 including today, my personal perspective of both may provide you insight - or it may not.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, wristband said:

I am a long time cruiser on both lines and currently on Mariner for the 2023 World Cruise.  The food is not as nearly good this cruise as I have experience don Oceania. 

As for cabins, in comparing just Mariner to Oceania's Riviera and Marina...O staterooms are far more impressive and maintained than staterooms on Mariner.  However, Mariner is an older aging ship.

Mariner has been chronically understaffed on this sailing in the restaurants and bars which has extended the time for dinner well beyond what I would consider acceptable.  This is not just my impression but those of others on board, including crew.

One major difference in my opinon: "included" excursions on Regent have been mediocre at best, poor in many instances, disappointing overall.  I prefer Oceania's business model which allows one to choose to pay for a ship tour (or make your own arrangements via CC Roll Call with interested others).  Regent guests "paid" for tours  (yes, I know, there is no free lunch) so most are uninterested in organizing private port tours in advance or while onboard. 

My comments are cruise specific to Mariner and my past experience with both lines over 20 years.  That said, after 100+ days on board in 2023 including today, my personal perspective of both may provide you insight - or it may not.

I appreciate your comments and perspectives and, of course I’m disappointed that your WC on Mariner has not been outstanding in every way. I think the only part where I have a difference of opinion is my experience with the H category suite on Mariner versus the penthouse on Riviera and Sirena. Yes, the penthouse on O is larger than one of the lower suite categories on Mariner. However the Mariner suite was really excellent, I must say.

I hope things will improve for you!!

Lots of fair comparisons in this thread. IMHO both cruise lines have their advantages. Would add that we do like the spa terrace area on Oceania…Regent has nothing comparable. Also, Oceania gets the win for less formal evening dining options. Oceania Terrace “buffet” area has a range of fabulous food each evening including steaks, lamb chops and lobster. Comparable area on Regent turns into Sette Mari Italian restaurant in the evening.. Differing views on quality of Sette Mari, but regardless of whether one thinks it is good or not so good, it makes for less diverse food options in the evening, especially important on a longer cruise. In terms of overall service, Regent does get the win. Their crew to guest ratio is better and the difference is notable.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, edgee said:

Lots of fair comparisons in this thread. IMHO both cruise lines have their advantages. Would add that we do like the spa terrace area on Oceania…Regent has nothing comparable. Also, Oceania gets the win for less formal evening dining options. Oceania Terrace “buffet” area has a range of fabulous food each evening including steaks, lamb chops and lobster. Comparable area on Regent turns into Sette Mari Italian restaurant in the evening.. Differing views on quality of Sette Mari, but regardless of whether one thinks it is good or not so good, it makes for less diverse food options in the evening, especially important on a longer cruise. In terms of overall service, Regent does get the win. Their crew to guest ratio is better and the difference is notable.

I love both lines! But, costs are going up. Feb 2024 will be the last cruise I booked when prices were lower! Starting to look at land tours….. might have the advantage of being less food and alcohol focused, and perhaps will include more active walking, hiking? ? Perhaps….

Sigh.

• Like 2

Hard to compare -- especially when you compare past history.  Has to be recent cruises because of covid and supply chain issues.  Cruise staffing issues and more inexperienced crew abound.

Last Regent was on Splendor Nov/Dec 2022. In and F1 cabin.  Last Oceania was Dec/Jan 2023 on Marina in an Oceania Suite (OC). We literally hopped of in Miami from Regent to Oceania.

Regent hands down the winner by far. Difference in Suites did not matter.  Food on Marina was just plain awful.  Ran out of fresh berries and their famous Terrace lamb chops.  The only great food was Jacques and guess what there is no Jacques on Vista and the rest of the new Allure class.

Service was spotty on Oceania and the upper management staff were rude in failing to meet with us to discuss issues.  Never seen that in a cruise line.

Was a past fan of Oceania with nearly the magic 20 free cruise level.  Now --  Have $800 in FCC with Oceania remaining.  Told my TA will cruise O only if he can find me a cruise for $800.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Was a past fan of Oceania with nearly the magic 20 free cruise level.  Now --  Have $800 in FCC with Oceania remaining.  Told my TA will cruise O only if he can find me a cruise for $800.

Here's a seven day cruise on Sirena for only $1099!

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/caribbean-cruises/miami-to-miami-SIR241204

If you still need help for the difference, please let me know and maybe we can work out a go fund me or something. 😀

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, broccoli robin said:

Here's a seven day cruise on Sirena for only $1099!

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/caribbean-cruises/miami-to-miami-SIR241204

If you still need help for the difference, please let me know and maybe we can work out a go fund me or something. 😀

OK I'll bite ---  start a go fund me  🙂

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from a trip on the O Regatta Pacific Coastal cruise in a Vista suite. Last Regent was January 2020 just prior to Covid on Explorer in an F2. Suite on Regatta was lovely but our loyalty still is with Regent in terms of service, food and overall experience. I realize that we're looking at Pre-covid versus now but the Regent touch was just that much better. Regatta compares in size to the Navigator directly and still Regent for our money would be the winner.

Obviously first-world problems as O was very nice - just not Regent!

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have been long time customers of both "brands' now owned, as you know, by NCHL.

We see little difference except for the all-inclusive nature of Regent.  But there is no free lunch. What is "included" is not free - those features are factored into the fare.  Tours "included" on Regent are essentially the same as O (they use the same tour operators and employ the same description).  Crew members are interchanged between the lines. 

One pays for O tours which we have avoided in favor of private day tours with other passengers.

Personally, due to the mediocrity of many Regent tours, I prefer O's model where tours are pricey but a la carte - you can pick and choose if you want to participate on a O tour for a fee.  Regent passengers have the sentiment "I paid for tours so why pay for private day tour?."  Roll Call CC offers a good opportunity for O passengers to book privately a small group tour.  In my experience, that alternative has been better then sitting on a Regent tour bus with 30 others, coping with an uniformed guide reading from a script.  My observation is shared by other Regent passengers, others disagree.

Unless you enjoy drinking booze all day, personally I prefer buying a beverage package or specific wines on O.  Regent's "free" and O house wines are $8-10 choices available at Total.  Not great, not terrible.  

I have seen little difference in the quality of food.  The specialty restuarants on O better than at present on Mariner.  Jacques & Toscana are far superior to Prime 7 and Chartreuse (menus never change).

Of course, others will disagree.  But that is my assessment after cruising extensively on both lines for many years.

There is no free lunch in life and there are trade offs.  Good luck on your choice!

• Like 8

You make a lot of very good points. I have echoed some of the same sentiments about Regent but not in a comparison to Oceania. I do find that when you take into account all of the included services that Regent provides such as business class air, excursions, etc. the price difference isn’t that large. That is especially true for business class air which is very expensive. The key is whether these included services have value to the customer. There are increasing complaints about the quality, and thus the value, of the included excursions. That is my main question with Regent when it comes to value. We shall see how it goes on my first post COVID cruise. I usually mix in private tours on any cruise that I take and I must say, I have always had very good to outstanding private excursions. Never a dud because I do my research and select tours and guides that have a great reputation. You will ruffle some feathers with some of the folks on the Regent chat board. I hope they all respect that this is your opinion based on your experiences.  

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 3:08 AM, wristband said:

We have been long time customers of both "brands' now owned, as you know, by NCHL.

We see little difference except for the all-inclusive nature of Regent.  But there is no free lunch. What is "included" is not free - those features are factored into the fare.  Tours "included" on Regent are essentially the same as O (they use the same tour operators and employ the same description).  Crew members are interchanged between the lines. 

One pays for O tours which we have avoided in favor of private day tours with other passengers.

Personally, due to the mediocrity of many Regent tours, I prefer O's model where tours are pricey but a la carte - you can pick and choose if you want to participate on a O tour for a fee.  Regent passengers have the sentiment "I paid for tours so why pay for private day tour?."  Roll Call CC offers a good opportunity for O passengers to book privately a small group tour.  In my experience, that alternative has been better then sitting on a Regent tour bus with 30 others, coping with an uniformed guide reading from a script.  My observation is shared by other Regent passengers, others disagree.

Unless you enjoy drinking booze all day, personally I prefer buying a beverage package or specific wines on O.  Regent's "free" and O house wines are $8-10 choices available at Total.  Not great, not terrible.  

I have seen little difference in the quality of food.  The specialty restuarants on O better than at present on Mariner.  Jacques & Toscana are far superior to Prime 7 and Chartreuse (menus never change).

Of course, others will disagree.  But that is my assessment after cruising extensively on both lines for many years.

There is no free lunch in life and there are trade offs.  Good luck on your choice!

My sentiments exactly. O is my favorite cruiseline due to the a la carte pricing model. However, I will say that my one Regent cruise on Mariner was superior to my previous three O Cruises on Marina, Riviera and Sirena. But all of my O cruises have been great, so no complaints here!

Edited by PhD-iva
Edit

On 5/27/2023 at 4:08 AM, wristband said:

Roll Call CC offers a good opportunity for O passengers to book privately a small group tour. 

That's the one huge benefit of Oceania, in my view.  I wish Regent would stop including tours, frankly, then that roll-call model would come into play.

• Like 1

Yes, the key is price paid versus value received.  After almost 150 days on the Mariner World Cruise, that critical equation is out of sync.

In my opinion (and others, but not all, onboard) there is a large gap between what was promised vs what has been provided, between our expectations as long time Regent customers and what we have experienced for the past five months.  

That large gap between price paid and value received is considerable.  Not for the better.  Mariner is an aging ship with obvious difficulties that can't be surmounted by steam cleaning cabin carpets, fixing  toilet and water problems.  These need to be done pronto...among other basic tasks.

Mariner's experienced staff - emphasis on "experienced" - is wonderful as always.  But their sunny outlook does not compensate for other challenges passengers have had to face.

Again, just my opinion as a long time customer of Regent presently on board.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have never sailed on Oceana, but have done sound 40 cruises, only 2 on Regent.  So my opinion is based on the Regent model vs. the al a carte model.   We do long cruises on Regent.  We like the all inclusive.  I have booked many, many third party tours over my cruise "life."  For long cruises I don't want to have to spend hours and hours researching tours and tour companies then sending my credit card info worldwide for a 70 night Grand cruise.  So I like simply looking at the Regent excursions and pick from them.  I don't like having to purchase a drink package then show my card every time I want a drink.  I don't like having to pay gratuities at the end of the cruise.  I don't like having to pay extra to eat at a specialty restaurant.  So I like Regent's model.  Now, if the time comes that I don't want Regent excursions, included drinks, included dining, included gratuities, etc. I will look at sailing on another line that allows me to al a carte pick and choose.  I will look closely at Oceana for sure.  

For all those who want to see Regent change their model to be more like Oceana, then all you're doing is turning Regent into Oceana.  Why would we want Regent to be "just like Oceana?"  Just sail Oceana. 

• Like 10