Another itinerary change for Navigator

Hmmm, just notified that our scheduled stop in Great Stirrup Cay has been changed to Freeport, Bahamas.  This is May 1.  Ship sails May 5.  No excursions listed so far.  This is after previously losing Fernandina Beach to Jacksonville and changes to our Hamilton, Bermuda stop.  What in the world?

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Hmmm, just notified that our scheduled stop in Great Stirrup Cay has been changed to Freeport, Bahamas.  This is May 1.  Ship sails May 5.  No excursions listed so far.  This is after previously losing Fernandina Beach to Jacksonville and changes to our Hamilton, Bermuda stop.  What in the world?

We will be joining you on this cruise. Very disappointed in the many changes.

We are also on this cruise. There have sure been a lot of changes, far more than what I perceive as 'usual', to this itinerary. The first bunch included shortened port times, due to either later arrivals or early departures in various ports, including Hamilton, Halifax, and Charleston. For example, in Charleston, we now leave at 2PM instead of 4PM for a very truncated stay. Other ports were substituted--we had looked forward to Fernandina Beach; Jacksonville, a more business-like center, is less interesting--although it may be lovely. 

I wonder if these changes were due to an attempt to save fuel and thus costs due to slower sailing. Considering that the original arrival and departure times were based on established knowledge of the geography and tides, etc., what other reason for these fairly extensive changes? If there is another or more accurate explanation rather than my speculation, I would be pleased to hear it from Regent.  

Those changes led to cancellation of some tours with, as other have pointed out on the other, related thread, no options available for those whose tours were cancelled due to itinerary changes. The lack of available tours in some ports, such as Quebec City, has existed for some time. We had to call to just get on a wait-list for either of two tours. I agree with those who have made the point that all inclusive tours means at least some reasonable choice. On this cruise the choices are slim indeed, or none at all. 

This latest, last-minute change of cancelling Great Stirrup Cay is disappointing to us and to our friends whom we suggested try Regent. Freeport is nothing special and I do not relish lining up on the ship to try to find a substitute (nothing is available on-line and I doubt it will be at this late stage). Lining up is in my view the antithesis of a "luxury experience". Again, if there is a good explanation for this change, I would be pleased to know it. But the timing is unfortunate. 

For those who have in the other thread noted that the "T's and C's" allow Regent to make port substitutions and cancel tours, I agree. They can. More importantly, in my view, is just because something legally can be done is if it should be done, from a moral and ethical perspective. While we will no doubt have a good time, the itinerary we are going on is quite different from the itinerary that we booked.

Again, we are experienced cruisers (on other lines, HAL, Seabourn, and three so far on Regent). So what is happening here, the number of port changes and tour changes, we find very unusual, and disappointing and disconcerting.  That said, we do look forward to returning to the Navigator, which we much enjoyed in 2019.    

• Like 3

Oh sheesh, are ports many times missed/substituted.  It's of course disappointing if one has booked the cruise for them specifically, but to jump to speculation that RSSC is doing it to save money on fuel or whatever?  Time to start watching fewer "X-Files" reruns.

• Haha 1

Suggest you read the annual report of the parent corporation, where this (fuel savings) was mooted. It is not nearly as far-fetched as you suggest. That said, it is I fully admit speculation on my part. So, I await an explanation for the unusual number of changes from Regent. And, while ports can change due to extenuating (eg: weather, safety) circumstances, this is again an unusually high number on this cruise. 

Edited by ON cruiser
typo correction
  • Like 2

We will also be sailing on this cruise. Honestly, I have never sailed on any cruise that has had this many changes. Altering the schedule to arrive in Hamilton at 6:00PM is the biggest disappointment for us as we depart the next morning by 5:00AM. We will still have a great cruise, but I have to agree that Regent really has come up short here. There have been at least 6-7 changes to either the ports or arrival times. No explanation has been provided for any of the changes.

• Like 2

This will be our first Regent cruise and must admit to being very surprised (and a little disappointed) with the amount of switching and ditching going on.

That said, really looking forward to our cruise.

Regards

• Like 1

It's probably unlikely that the smallest ship in the fleet was "slowed down to save fuel' and no other ship was. The only way to impact fuel cost is to slow EVERY ship. 😏

Could be lots of reasons that these port stops were changed.  Has anyone contacted Regent to ask why?  Because other than that, no one here could possibly answer the question.  All we can do is put forward "theories," anything from propulsion issues to dock space issues.  

You would think that Regent would voluntarily explain these abnormal number of schedule changes to their customers, especially those who are booked on this cruise. Honesty is the best policy when it comes to situations like this. When a company doesn’t come out and tell the truth they leave the “answer” up to speculation and rumor and that can lead to distrust and unsatisfied customers.

• Like 1

Fernandina Beach had to be replaced with Jacksonville because the residents of FB made a big (ridiculous) stink about not wanting cruise ships to dock in town.  We don’t understand their complaints since it is a tourist town and they already have buses that go there, and all the “tourists “ are the people who buy lots of expensive items in the shops.

but the port replacement in this case was not driven by Regent.  Its too bad, we were looking forward to seeing her in town.

https://fernandinaobserver.com/general/final-port-plan-gives-community-what-it-wanted/

Edited by makai 7

3 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

You would think that Regent would voluntarily explain these abnormal number of schedule changes to their customers, especially those who are booked on this cruise. Honesty is the best policy when it comes to situations like this. When a company doesn’t come out and tell the truth they leave the “answer” up to speculation and rumor and that can lead to distrust and unsatisfied customers.

Agree 100 % ...its all about communication ......Freeport may possibly be a need to get tech support from Grand Bahama Shipyard ....yes that is speculation

• Like 1

Since Regent did not supply an explanation in the email I received they leave it up to me to fill in the blanks.  

$$$$ My conjecture is this private island property would cost too much to open for a couple hundred passengers.  There are no other NCL ships arriving at the island that day.  Usually 2-5000 passengers are dropped. Most of the activities on the island that Navigator passengers signed up for are “free”. On all the othe NCL ships they charge $99, $129,$149 pp.  add in the fact the island has to be opened up and staffed - I’ll bet staff are paid on a per Island opening per day basis rather than salary.  The expense of staffing and operating activities for a couple hundred passengers just doesn’t fit the balance sheet.  My supposition - until Regent supplies an explanation.  

• Like 1

Or, if Yankeeclipper is correct with her speculation, then maybe Regent doesn’t want to tell their customers the truth because they are more afraid of that blowback than not saying anything at all.  

• Like 2

The employees on the island are mostly salary and have other jobs when there are no or few passengers on shore. I have personally been there in the past few months on a Regent ship and we were the only ship there.

• Like 2

Haven't looked at the entire itinerary, but Quebec City is a great place to explore on your own.  Our excursion there on Navigator was cancelled at the last minute and there were no interesting alternatives, so we just did our own thing.  It is very walkable from where you dock .

• Like 3

If a port is cancelled, it's cancelled.  The reason is irrelevant.  What difference does it make as to why?  Nothing any passenger does will change the decision.  If you must know, wait until you board then ask.  It's simply part of cruising and happens on ALL cruise lines for many reasons. 

I think the passengers deserve an explanation. I don’t think that it is too much to ask. Regent tells you if it is weather related and if it’s not safe to dock/tender. Why can’t they tell you the truth if there is a different reason? Just sayin’. I know it won’t change things but if a port or an excursion is cancelled, especially at the last moment, I think it shows honesty by Regent and respect for the customer. 

• Like 8

As papaflamingo say ports are cancelled all the time for various reasons, over the years we have had many ports cancelled but every time we have been given the reasons. Sure Regent have their reasons but if they do not inform the passengers then speculation like this will always follow. People who are on the cruise should at least expect to be kept informed as to the reason why the ship can not make the scheduled stop, whatever the cause if not obvious.

• Like 1

Just received notification that the June 11th cruise from Montreal to NYC has changed - the stop in Newport, Rhode Island has been cancelled and instead we will arrive in NYC one day early and will overnight. I guess many people would be excited to have an unexpected stop in NYC but not me - I live in the city (I can walk to my apartment from the pier) and really wasn't looking for a vacation in my own backyard - I was looking to get away from the city, not vacation in it. I am curious to see what excursions are being offered at this late date.

1 hour ago, NYC-London said:

Just received notification that the June 11th cruise from Montreal to NYC has changed - the stop in Newport, Rhode Island has been cancelled and instead we will arrive in NYC one day early and will overnight. I guess many people would be excited to have an unexpected stop in NYC but not me - I live in the city (I can walk to my apartment from the pier) and really wasn't looking for a vacation in my own backyard - I was looking to get away from the city, not vacation in it. I am curious to see what excursions are being offered at this late date.

So disappointing! This is an expensive cruise that had a vey interesting itinerary. Newport was going to be a highlight. I do wish they would give us an explanation. Not very interested in spending a day in New York, I wonder what other surprises await. NYC-London, see you on board 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, warmwater said:

So disappointing! This is an expensive cruise that had a vey interesting itinerary. Newport was going to be a highlight. I do wish they would give us an explanation. Not very interested in spending a day in New York, I wonder what other surprises await. NYC-London, see you on board 

The stop in Newport was one of the reasons we selected this particular cruise - we had plans to meet up with friends who would also be in Newport at the same time as the Navigator was scheduled to be there.

See you on board!

We are on B2B (actually 5 that started 4/21) so still have Newport on the voyage prior to this cancelled stop.  We, personally, are thrilled- now we can go to Katz's for that corned beef/pastrami huge sandwich....with half-sour pickles! 

Edited by Kwaj girl
  • Like 1

Similar situation as Kwaj girl.

Newport will be visited on previous segment going to Montreal (BUT, of course, this could also change).

For us--glass half-full rather than half empty.  An extra day at NYC gives us more time to spend with  our Son and two grandchidren. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1