Just Curious

klfrodo

Do people sometimes forget how incredibly fortunate and privileged those of us who can take cruise vacations/holidays are?

I know I'm guilty of it occasionally.

I think there are many though who never experienced the financial struggles that many of us grew up with. Barely able to afford school and rent AND food. I remember when payday meant I could have hotdogs in my 3 boxes for $1 mac-n-cheese. Then, you get up in the morning and your car won't start.

Note To Self: Be thankful every day that you can afford to go on a cruise. Even if it's the occasional 3 day cruise. Let alone plan a 23 day trip to Europe and go on a 12 day med cruise.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I agree.  It broke my heart when cruising was stopped for nearly 2 years and the hard working people who rely on those jobs were unable to earn a living.  We missed our vacations, but they suffered hardship.  

We are lucky enough to afford all inclusive cruises but always leave something extra for our suite attendants and have learned that giving to the crew fund allows you to say thank you to those you don’t always see who keep the ship running, safe and clean.   

Truer words were never spoken.

And yet, there are multi-page threads on the message boards here at CC (and I'm sure elsewhere) complaining vehemently about some minor inconvenience they may have "suffered" or for not having towel animals or chocolates on their pillow each night.

• Like 4

I am very grateful I never wanted for anything as a kid. We always had food on the table and as far back as I can remember, my Dad had his own business, worked hard and I know we were not "rich" but I can't remember struggling.....so I guess I am lucky.  Mom worked too........and now, I am 65 and retired and my parents are no longer with us. But I am VERY thankful and grateful that I can cruise, pretty much as often as I want.......my parents would be looking down and I think they would be smiling😀. So yes, I try to be thankful every day. As for those complainers? There is a saying that may sound kind of cold but its true..........."You can't fix stupid".

• Like 2

I am grateful every day for the life I have, with cruises as a wonderful bonus.  A year+ ago, when we took our first cruise after the lockdown, I remember thinking "cherish this time with a partially-filled ship, because it will never happen again".  We passengers, and the crew who finally had jobs again, were just so happy to be there.  We've done four cruises since then, on full ships.  I always think "will I burst into tears the moment I'm aboard?".  No, I never have, but there is always some moment when I think "this is so perfect, and I am so fortunate to be here".

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 12:57 PM, klfrodo said:

Do people sometimes forget how incredibly fortunate and privileged those of us who can take cruise vacations/holidays are?

I think there are many though who never experienced the financial struggles that many of us grew up with. Barely able to afford school and rent AND food. I remember when payday meant I could have hotdogs in my 3 boxes for $1 mac-n-cheese. Then, you get up in the morning and your car won't start.

Note To Self: Be thankful every day that you can afford to go on a cruise. Even if it's the occasional 3 day cruise. Let alone plan a 23 day trip to Europe and go on a 12 day med cruise.

I try to remember to be thankful, but thanks for reminding me.  I remember the days that I wasn't in a position to cruise, even if I wanted to.

On 5/3/2023 at 5:42 PM, DCThunder said:

there are multi-page threads on the message boards here at CC (and I'm sure elsewhere) complaining vehemently about some minor inconvenience they may have "suffered" or for not having towel animals or chocolates on their pillow each night.

I appreciate these threads (at least some of them) more than I can properly express.  Some things that you or I might think are petty or insignificant are critical to others.  And I'm sure I have things that are massively important to me that most others think are insignificant or petty.  I think it's good to know about what our favorite cruise lines are up to in order to make an optimal decision on with whom to sail.

On 5/3/2023 at 5:57 PM, klfrodo said:

This. One million times this.

Makes me mad thinking about some of the entitled nasty folk I have encountered even on my short cruising life.

I even feel guilty for the poor staff that run around day and night making us feel "special".

I grew up and still live in a very working class Northern UK town. I hope I never forget where I came from.

And it makes me feel lucky knowing what could have been, when I see we have over 50 foodbanks in this town, and a lot of homelessness.

Yet just because I have gratitude for my situation, I don;t lose the ability to criticize something I can't appreciate.  That doesn't give anyone reason to say I'm ungracious.

Realism is neither 100% good or 100% bad.  I can be grateful for the ability to cruise or vacation, yet still criticize various portions along the way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

Yet just because I have gratitude for my situation, I don;t lose the ability to criticize something I can't appreciate.  That doesn't give anyone reason to say I'm ungracious.

Realism is neither 100% good or 100% bad.  I can be grateful for the ability to cruise or vacation, yet still criticize various portions along the way.

Agreed! Toxic positivity is almost as bad as the opposite. 

I am not lucky in being able to cruise. I started working in high school in fast food so I could eat dinner and at least one meal on weekends.  I have worked full time plus since I was 17 yrs old, putting myself through college, making more good choices than bad, always saving first before spending.  This is still an "eat what you catch" world.  I didn't rub a genie lamp.  I have earned every dime I spend.  I don't feel guilty for the hard working crew, I respect them and treat them like the professionals they are.  

• Like 3