Live from Nieuw Amsterdam 14-Day Alaska Explorer

Crew News

2 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Positive:

We really enjoyed this first visit to Sitka.  Nice weather, the city's downtown has quite a cold water beach charm.  The residents seemed very friendly and personable.  Low crime, lot so of culture, history, and nature.

Ketchikan is a bit more crowded and got a bit humid in the afternoon.  We did separate city tours after I cancelled my zip line excursion last minute (1 hour beforehand).  Big thanks to HAL for allowing such a short notice refund while in a bind.

We're impressed with HAL's norovirus precaution, including regular deep cleaning, and closing off all self-serve options in the buffet.

Negative:

I received a call this morning from a detective in Henderson, NV, that our personal belongings inside our truck had been found on a thief.  We called our airport hotel in Vegas, and a window had been smashed out.  No time for zip lining today!

Oh No, I am so sorry to hear this about your truck getting broke into here in Vegas. 😟

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I received a call this morning from a detective in Henderson, NV, that our personal belongings inside our truck had been found on a thief.  We called our airport hotel in Vegas, and a window had been smashed out.  No time for zip lining today!

I am very sorry to hear this.  ☹️

• Thanks 1

Two more amazing weather days to add to the blue skies of Glacier Bay.  Sitka and Ketchikan weather allowed great photos that will replace many fog and rain shrouded photos from previous cruises.

My Best of Sitka excursion began with a chilly, high-speed, catamaran with frequent stops to view both gray and humpback whales, stellar sea lions, gulls, and bald eagles.  The next stop at a raptor rescue center featured a handler with a rescued eagle on a wooden perch just inches from her face.  During a live presentation, the eagle was periodically fed rat parts.  The opportunity for close-up photos was a real plus as was capturing pictures of eagles in the wild that were not yet able to fly away.  When damaged wings heal, the birds will be brought inside the flight training center before ultimate release back into the wild.  The availability of a food truck was a nice feature as the excursion moved past the lunch hour.

The third stop at a bear rescue facility was another chance to get closeups of previously orphaned black and brown cubs that cannot be legally released back into the wild.  Many orphaned bear cubs are euthanized but the Fortress of the Bears provides a nice life, in an environment close to the wild, for some lucky bears.  A few apples were tossed to the bears as cameras captured some good photos of active dining bears.

Temps yesterday ended in the high '60's with blue skies.

Today's Crab Fishing was a long walk from the ship and brought more great eagle pictures of 30+ swooping eagles.  Several approached from behind me and just a few feet over my head.  Everyone had the chance to hold and pose for photos with sea creatures before the creatures were returned to the water.  In my opinion, this excursion remains the top excursion in Alaska.

Temps at the end of the excursion were mid ‘70’s and skies were cloud free. This was the best weather I can remember in my many visits to Ketchikan.

Miscellaneous Musings:

• The Lido Market was sanitized today right after breakfast.
  • Hallways were being wiped down during the day.

• My Tamarind Wasabi filet Mignon was excellent and better than the same filet in the PG,

• The reversible Alaska jackets were still $29 at Tongass Trading Company in Ketchikan, same price 10 years ago.

• The only crackers on board are a few oyster crackers.

• Laundry service has been excellent.

• The Late Snack folks continue to save me a bowl of potato chips each evening and the Sweet Spot guy saves me three of the very popular chocolate chip cookies. I will see both when I return for the Panama Canal cruise in October,

Temps tomorrow in Prince Rupert promise another beautiful day for photographs.

More later.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I appreciate it.

Turns out both driver's side windows were busted out, front and back.  We had a suitcase with a change of clothes for a couple nights in Las Vegas, post-cruise.  He grabbed this and everything in our glove compartment.  He also smashed the windows out of another vehicle at the same hotel, opposite side of the building.

The hotel is claiming that it is our responsibility to inform them if something happens to our vehicle while we're away 🙃.  Despite having done just that, I got sass when I called to ask if the vehicle was even there.  "How would you know if something was stolen?  When did the detective call, weeks ago?"

Ugh gross, I am worried about my parents’ street parking for our two week Alaska trip on Saturday.....not taking into account that my car has only been broken into twice while I have lived here for 8 years haha

hopefully you get it all taken care of! (And way to go for the detectives for following up!) 

.....and the sass....if you’re “supposed to inform them”......wasn’t that what you were doing?!?!? Hahahaha

• Thanks 1

@Crew News I wonder if I could ask a big favour.  Would you be able to get for the recipe for the vegetable tomato risotto from Canaletto?  I absolutely love it and thought I could find a recipe online that would be like it.  So far no luck.  No worries if you can’t .  Thanks so much.

I’m glad you are getting some decent weather.

22 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Positive:

We really enjoyed this first visit to Sitka.  Nice weather, the city's downtown has quite a cold water beach charm.  The residents seemed very friendly and personable.  Low crime, lot so of culture, history, and nature.

Ketchikan is a bit more crowded and got a bit humid in the afternoon.  We did separate city tours after I cancelled my zip line excursion last minute (1 hour beforehand).  Big thanks to HAL for allowing such a short notice refund while in a bind.

We're impressed with HAL's norovirus precaution, including regular deep cleaning, and closing off all self-serve options in the buffet.

Negative:

That stinks. The good side is at least you were reachable & you could connect with the hotel.  Hope the rest of your voyage is wonderful. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

@Crew News I wonder if I could ask a big favour.  Would you be able to get for the recipe for the vegetable tomato risotto from Canaletto?  I absolutely love it and thought I could find a recipe online that would be like it.  So far no luck.  No worries if you can’t .  Thanks so much.

I’m glad you are getting some decent weather.

As requested from my HAL recipe collection:  Tomato Risotto

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kathscof said:

Ugh gross, I am worried about my parents’ street parking for our two week Alaska trip on Saturday.....not taking into account that my car has only been broken into twice while I have lived here for 8 years haha

hopefully you get it all taken care of! (And way to go for the detectives for following up!) 

.....and the sass....if you’re “supposed to inform them”......wasn’t that what you were doing?!?!? Hahahaha

The detective was very down to eath, even had questions about Alaska, as he's sailing Princess in July.  I don't blame the hotel for the break-in, but I think it is ridiculous that they weren't the first to call me, especially with two vehicles hit.  Probably just luck that the thief still had our stuff in his car, with my phone #, when he was caught doing something else in a neighboring city.

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

That stinks. The good side is at least you were reachable & you could connect with the hotel.  Hope the rest of your voyage is wonderful. 

I've only had cell service in Anchorage, Sitka, and Ketchikan, so we're very lucky that this all timed out.  This could have easily been much worse, such as our truck stolen, or not knowing who did it, or what they wanted with my registration.

I don't mean to hijack the threat with this, but it had a big impact on what I did in Ketchikan.  I was looking forward to zip lining over the waterfalls in Skagway, then Ketchikan was the replacement.  The rest of the cruise is going very well.

• Like 4

Another sunny day in Prince Rubert, having just missed the rain.  My wife did a city tour, and learned about the city's fishing, pulp and cargo transport industry.   I did the rainforest hike, which went down to the coast.  The hike was extremely informative in a broad sense of what's taking place in the forest, rather than a glossary of terms you'll never remember.

We were able to return the Good Feet arch supports to the spa.  After 5 days they hurt my wife's feet and for me felt slightly awkward.  Whether that would improve over time isn't important, as 4/5 pediatrist reviews warned not to use them at risk of injury, and the more neutral review claimed it depends on the person's feet, more effective and cheaper options available.

We appreciate the Spa's return police, and some of the other health advice given.

I had aloo masala (Indian) breakfast this morning in the MDR, a little spicy, but delicious.  It is a filling breakfast that doesn't leave you bloated and lethargic.  Too bad I discovered this towards the end of our cruise, but next time I'll be ready.

We're now signed up for Andy Matsuda's chef's dinner tomorrow night!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Another sunny day in Prince Rubert, having just missed the rain.  My wife did a city tour, and learned about the city's fishing, pulp and cargo transport industry.   I did the rainforest hike, which went down to the coast.  The hike was extremely informative in a broad sense of what's taking place in the forest, rather than a glossary of terms you'll never remember.

We were able to return the Good Feet arch supports to the spa.  After 5 days they hurt my wife's feet and for me felt slightly awkward.  Whether that would improve over time isn't important, as 4/5 pediatrist reviews warned not to use them at risk of injury, and the more neutral review claimed it depends on the person's feet, more effective and cheaper options available.

We appreciate the Spa's return police, and some of the other health advice given.

I had aloo masala (Indian) breakfast this morning in the MDR, a little spicy, but delicious.  It is a filling breakfast that doesn't leave you bloated and lethargic.  Too bad I discovered this towards the end of our cruise, but next time I'll be ready.

Glad you hit Prince Rupert with sunny skies! Spent 9 years there in the '90s and we look forward to visiting Rupert on the Noordam in September. Have enjoyed your "Positive/Negative" observations for this cruise and hope the rest of it is all positive for you!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

We did the Andy Matsuda dinner with drink pairings and found it really enjoyable.  Definitely worth attending.  Enjoy!

• Like 2

On 5/18/2023 at 5:54 PM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

The detective was very down to eath, even had questions about Alaska, as he's sailing Princess in July.  I don't blame the hotel for the break-in, but I think it is ridiculous that they weren't the first to call me, especially with two vehicles hit.  Probably just luck that the thief still had our stuff in his car, with my phone #, when he was caught doing something else in a neighboring city.

Great police work and cooperation between two agencies! Unless it was all Vegas Metro and then it still remains good police work to take a crook off the streets

• Like 2

A beautiful day in Prince Rupert for photographs.

The ship used facial recognition all of us leaving the ship but reverted back to key scanning when returning. 

Prince Rupert’s reputation is a 13,000 inhabitant town with railroad connections to Chicago and the nearest North American port to ship/receive goods to/from China.  With few HAL excursion photography options, I opted for the Wildlife and Lighthouse excursion.  For more than an hour the high-speed catamaran proceeded to a lighthouse with birds perched on the surrounding rocks, a second lighthouse with birds, a third lighthouse, and then some rocks with stellar sea lions who interrupted their naps to escape into the water.  The highlight of the excursion was a stop to feed eagles.  The three-level boat had comfortable seats and two restrooms.  A single lighthouse stop and eagle feeding would have been fine with me and save two hours of just riding on a boat. 

Today’s sea day was covered with overcast skies and a haze just short of requiring the use of the ship’s foghorn.  Twelve daily programs have been scanned today for those on this cruise in September. And my last commendations posted to the Navigator app.  A Mariner Recognition ceremony was held today with 2483 President’s club couple present. Today was also the last laundry receipt until next October for me.

Prompted by a question on another thread, I talked with four bartenders and learned that there is no longer a bar menu for simple drinks.  Now the price of a gin and tonic must be asked of a bartender who has “memorized’ and will share the price.

Tonight, was my first encounter with a chocolate surprise as a line of servers, armed with platters of chocolate goodies, departed the Deck 2 hallway, proceeded down a line of passengers eager to snatch goodies from the platters.  By the time the servers reached the farthest point forward (theater), the platters were empty, and the servers gathered the serving cups on the way back to the kitchen to reload their platters for another chocolate foray.

Tomorrow is the last daytime port day in Victoria and another visit to photograph more flowers at Butchart Gardens. It is also a day for repacking for the flight home and thanking all of those crew who made my cruise memorable..

More later.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

There are a lot of knowledgeable people reading these posts, I wonder if anyone can help me out. We have a 9:30 disembarkation time, which is great, because our daughter will be picking us up.  Does anyone know where she can pick us up? Outside? Inside? I have no clue, so thanks in advance for your help!

1 hour ago, Ineke said:

There are a lot of knowledgeable people reading these posts, I wonder if anyone can help me out. We have a 9:30 disembarkation time, which is great, because our daughter will be picking us up.  Does anyone know where she can pick us up? Outside? Inside? I have no clue, so thanks in advance for your help!

My nephew picked me up at street level outside the terminal.  There is a pull-in drop-off/pick-up area right outside the Pan Pacific Hotel.  Hopefully there is not an event/marathon happening on the day you arrive.  Here is a google maps pic:

A6697413-7428-42AC-ABFF-12273BF5D067.thumb.jpeg.5c5e605c27dd4500b9de597befdf6a07.jpeg

• Thanks 2

On 5/19/2023 at 12:57 PM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Would you recommend the Rainforest hike to someone else? Is it Butze? I am trying to keep up on on comments people make and was thinking about that one for the two of us. Would an able-bodied person be able to access this hike on their own?  Only a two mile hike? It sounds like the start of the trail is fairly close to the pier. We are able-bodied and DO like adventure.  Any other GREAT excursions?  THANKS AGAIN

Edited by VacationCharlene
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

My nephew picked me up at street level outside the terminal.  There is a pull-in drop-off/pick-up area right outside the Pan Pacific Hotel.  Hopefully there is not an event/marathon happening on the day you arrive.  Here is a google maps pic:

A6697413-7428-42AC-ABFF-12273BF5D067.thumb.jpeg.5c5e605c27dd4500b9de597befdf6a07.jpeg

We have had our son pick us up across the street sort of outside or a bit down from the Fairmont Waterfront. It’s a little less congested there (but not much, lol) and there are so many pick ups/drop offs that you can usually get a spot. 

Edited by sunviking90
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2023 at 11:27 PM, Crew News said:

A beautiful day in Prince Rupert for photographs.

The ship used facial recognition all of us leaving the ship but reverted back to key scanning when returning. 

Prince Rupert’s reputation is a 13,000 inhabitant town with railroad connections to Chicago and the nearest North American port to ship/receive goods to/from China.  With few HAL excursion photography options, I opted for the Wildlife and Lighthouse excursion.  For more than an hour the high-speed catamaran proceeded to a lighthouse with birds perched on the surrounding rocks, a second lighthouse with birds, a third lighthouse, and then some rocks with stellar sea lions who interrupted their naps to escape into the water.  The highlight of the excursion was a stop to feed eagles.  The three-level boat had comfortable seats and two restrooms.  A single lighthouse stop and eagle feeding would have been fine with me and save two hours of just riding on a boat. 

Today’s sea day was covered with overcast skies and a haze just short of requiring the use of the ship’s foghorn.  Twelve daily programs have been scanned today for those on this cruise in September. And my last commendations posted to the Navigator app.  A Mariner Recognition ceremony was held today with 2483 President’s club couple present. Today was also the last laundry receipt until next October for me.

Prompted by a question on another thread, I talked with four bartenders and learned that there is no longer a bar menu for simple drinks.  Now the price of a gin and tonic must be asked of a bartender who has “memorized’ and will share the price.

Tonight, was my first encounter with a chocolate surprise as a line of servers, armed with platters of chocolate goodies, departed the Deck 2 hallway, proceeded down a line of passengers eager to snatch goodies from the platters.  By the time the servers reached the farthest point forward (theater), the platters were empty, and the servers gathered the serving cups on the way back to the kitchen to reload their platters for another chocolate foray.

Tomorrow is the last daytime port day in Victoria and another visit to photograph more flowers at Butchart Gardens. It is also a day for repacking for the flight home and thanking all of those crew who made my cruise memorable..

More later.

Curious if you received an invitation to the Mariner recognition. We r 4 star and did not get an invite just tiles in our room with a thanks for cruising with us note. I had mentioned to my hubby that I was surprised they didn’t have one as we always attend. Guess I should have asked 😮

On 5/20/2023 at 3:20 PM, VacationCharlene said:

Would you recommend the Rainforest hike to someone else? Is it Butze? I am trying to keep up on on comments people make and was thinking about that one for the two of us. Would an able-bodied person be able to access this hike on their own?  Only a two mile hike? It sounds like the start of the trail is fairly close to the pier. We are able-bodied and DO like adventure.  Any other GREAT excursions?  THANKS AGAIN

Yes I recommend the rainforest hike.  Excursions in Prince Rupert are limited, nothing stood out as GREAT as an alternative.  Butze was at least a 10 min shuttle ride from the ship, so you'll want transportation.  2 mile hike, only one uphill leg at the end unless you have time to reach the coast, which was optional.  

• Thanks 2