Port or Starboard side?

Just booked our cruise out of Sydney to NZ Feb 2025 on the Ovation. Long time cruiser, first time to NZ. I always book Starboard side.  Going to Wellington, Picton, Napier, Dunedin and of course the Sounds. Is there a preferable side?

Thank you!

5 hours ago, bigsky said:

Just booked our cruise out of Sydney to NZ Feb 2025 on the Ovation. Long time cruiser, first time to NZ. I always book Starboard side.  Going to Wellington, Picton, Napier, Dunedin and of course the Sounds. Is there a preferable side?

Thank you!

I’d be on the right hand side or starboard for the Fiordlands to be out your door.

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I’d be on the right hand side or starboard for the Fiordlands to be out your door.

Although, IMHO, the best viewing has always been from an outside upper deck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Really? It cruises in the fiord.. turns around and comes back out? I wouldn't bother staying in my room when in the fiord.. but if I did.. you'd see exactly the same whichever side of the ship you're on.

• Like 2

The best side going into Milford Sound is the port side. It's to do with the way the view opens up as the ship progresses into the fiord, it's more spectacular on that side. Remember to look up and back as well as forward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Over from NZ said:

No there's not a preferable side. Both are going the same way. 🙂 

I booked Starboard and figured I'd change if need be. I'll stick with our balcony cabin : )

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The best side going into Milford Sound is the port side. It's to do with the way the view opens up as the ship progresses into the fiord, it's more spectacular on that side. Remember to look up and back as well as forward. 

We'll be outside to see the Sounds. Wasn't sure if there was any reason to book one side over the other.

Thanks!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

Really? It cruises in the fiord.. turns around and comes back out? I wouldn't bother staying in my room when in the fiord.. but if I did.. you'd see exactly the same whichever side of the ship you're on.

It isn't that simple. I feel it is better to see the view of the fiord when the ship is sailing in.

Our recent cruise to NZ went around the islands in a clock-wise direction. We had a balcony on the starboard side and really enjoyed the views of the coastline between Dusty Sound and Milford Sound. So for advice on which side to book, I would consider the itinerary of the cruise. If you don't have a balcony, it wouldn't matter much which side you were on because the best views would be from an open deck at the front of the ship.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I went around NZ anti-clockwise. I had a starboard side balcony cabin.   I wanted to see the fjords front on, but the weather was marginal and all the outdoor forward facing areas were closed off. So I just stayed on my balcony for Milford. We went up and turned around and came back, so I saw both sides.  It would be the same  if you were viewing from mid ship on the promenade deck. For Doubtful Sound and Dusky Sound, they are wider and have more than one entrance and exit. So you go in one way and come out another and there are views on both sides.    Once we were around the 'bottom' of the south island, all the coastal views were on the port side.   In port, being on the port side may not be the best view, because you don't know which way the ship will have to berth. If it backs into the wharf, the starboard side may be the one that has the land view. 

Another consideration, and it's a personal one, is that I preferred to take in the amazing scenery of the NZ sounds without a loud commentary, just the waves and the waterfalls. I did go to the promenade deck for a while, but found the commentary very obtrusive.

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Although, IMHO, the best viewing has always been from an outside upper deck.

2 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

I am thinking about travelling along the coast, it’s a full day in and out of the fiords and true the top deck does give the best.

In between fiords you can view the coast from your balcony ,that’s if it’s on the land side ,you can’t if it’s on the ocean side.

4 hours ago, bigsky said:

We'll be outside to see the Sounds. Wasn't sure if there was any reason to book one side over the other.

Thanks!

Outside is the best place to be. For the other fiords pick an area where you can easily move from side to side but for Milford be on the port side. You'll understand why when you get there - it's all about the initial impact of seeing the scenery open up on that side. I've cruised into Milford four times now and it still awes me. I've also visited Milford by air and by road but arriving by ship is just spectacular.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, bigsky said:

Thank you!

One advantage of starboard is you'll get the Opera House outside your balcony as you depart.  Port side will have the better view whilst you are docked at OPT

13 hours ago, reeves35 said:

One advantage of starboard is you'll get the Opera House outside your balcony as you depart.  Port side will have the better view whilst you are docked at OPT

OPT?

19 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Outside is the best place to be. For the other fiords pick an area where you can easily move from side to side but for Milford be on the port side. You'll understand why when you get there - it's all about the initial impact of seeing the scenery open up on that side. I've cruised into Milford four times now and it still awes me. I've also visited Milford by air and by road but arriving by ship is just spectacular.

Can't wait!

21 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I went around NZ anti-clockwise. I had a starboard side balcony cabin.   I wanted to see the fjords front on, but the weather was marginal and all the outdoor forward facing areas were closed off. So I just stayed on my balcony for Milford. We went up and turned around and came back, so I saw both sides.  It would be the same  if you were viewing from mid ship on the promenade deck. For Doubtful Sound and Dusky Sound, they are wider and have more than one entrance and exit. So you go in one way and come out another and there are views on both sides.    Once we were around the 'bottom' of the south island, all the coastal views were on the port side.   In port, being on the port side may not be the best view, because you don't know which way the ship will have to berth. If it backs into the wharf, the starboard side may be the one that has the land view. 

Another consideration, and it's a personal one, is that I preferred to take in the amazing scenery of the NZ sounds without a loud commentary, just the waves and the waterfalls. I did go to the promenade deck for a while, but found the commentary very obtrusive.

Thank you for your reply!

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

the OPT is the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay in Sydney.

Agree....We'll likely be out of our cabin while leaving port.

I think we'll just stick with Starboard side. Sounds like one side isn't hands down the best!

We'll be out of it while going thru the Sounds.

Thank you

I was on the Ovation last month to NZ. I chose the Port side which faces the Opera House while docked on OPT.  At Milford, it does a 360 so it's fine to be on either, though when I woke up in the morning, we faced the signature view from our balcony which was great. During cruising past the sounds, Port side is better IMHO as you see the sounds/land all throughout while circling around the south island from your balcony. Starboard side just looks out into the ocean mostly. Was great to come back to Sydney and wake up to a beautiful Opera House view in the morning also. But yeah, you won't regret it either way, and we went up to the top deck often as well to not miss out the view from other side.

Milford Sounds from our balcony in the morning

image.thumb.jpeg.8c4e0c101ddf320e43a1c8cdb50d9973.jpeg

Waking up to the Opera House at Sydney OPT

image.thumb.jpeg.1d7df35754e2adf6261b342699c72f35.jpeg

Edited by cruise_critical
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 6:28 PM, cruise_critical said:

I was on the Ovation last month to NZ. I chose the Port side which faces the Opera House while docked on OPT.  At Milford, it does a 360 so it's fine to be on either, though when I woke up in the morning, we faced the signature view from our balcony which was great. During cruising past the sounds, Port side is better IMHO as you see the sounds/land all throughout while circling around the south island from your balcony. Starboard side just looks out into the ocean mostly. Was great to come back to Sydney and wake up to a beautiful Opera House view in the morning also. But yeah, you won't regret it either way, and we went up to the top deck often as well to not miss out the view from other side.

Absolutely gorgeous! You're making me rethink which side. There are cabins directly across the other side. Thanks!

On 5/8/2023 at 6:28 PM, cruise_critical said:

Also, did your itinerary include visiting the Sounds last? Didn't know if that made a difference.

1 minute ago, bigsky said:

Also, did your itinerary include visiting the Sounds last? Didn't know if that made a difference.

My one was a 10 night cruise circling the south island + Wellington with the sounds first. If you are circling the opposite direction, then maybe that will make a difference to th side that you see land while cruising alongside them. (though tbh, it's not a big thing as we did just enjoy the view from the top deck mostly)

image.png.2b45455769ae9576b783f0d13ac975a9.png

Unfortunately, we weren't able to dock at Dunedin and Wellington due to high winds / rough seas so can't tell you how the view was while docked there..

Either/or for me. If you are doing the sounds last, you are going clockwise around New Zealand, and between ports you will get to see some glimpses of land on the starboard side. For Milford Sound, you will see most of what you didn't see going in while going out. As you see with the earlier photo, the scenery can be spectacular, and I prefer to be up on deck for that and overlooking the bow if possible.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 7:22 PM, cruiser3775 said:

I'm thinking since we're going clockwise, maybe Starboard side is better. Opposite of yours. So if it's better when you go counter.., but we're going clockwise.

1 hour ago, bigsky said:

I'm thinking since we're going clockwise, maybe Starboard side is better. Opposite of yours. So if it's better when you go counter.., but we're going clockwise.

I agree. With the 'clockwise' itinerary, if you have a balcony the starboard side is much better. For views while in the Sounds, up top, particularly at the front of the ship is better. This applies particularly to the entry into Milford Sound. For the 90 mins to 2 hours between the Sounds, there are lovely views of the coast. If you have a balcony cabin on the starboard side, you can relax there and take in the views. It is worthwhile to go up top (to near the front of the ship) for the sail-in to Milford Sound. Then you can return to your balcony to take in the views in more comfort.