Holland America & Food Waste Minimization

Seeing food waste onboard is something I struggle with while cruising, though I think it's slightly better on HAL where they serve in the buffet vs. what I've seen on other lines. 

I volunteer locally to help reduce food waste. We collect food from 30 or so grocery stores 7 days a week and then redistribute it to refugees and other people in need. We also use some of the food to run a community kitchen. I've been doing this for almost 3 years now and I'm still shocked at the amount (and quality) of food that would be thrown in dumpsters if we didn't rescue and reroute it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We just got off the Volendam and noticed very few vegetable sides, and most were sauced or highly salted. Except for one night when they had green beans, most of the sides were grain or some sort of potato or parsnip. In the past there were usually 2-3 veggie sides offered as part of a selection in the MDR and those were also available in the Lido.
DH found 1carrot piece in a dish ( that featured carrots) he ordered In Canaletto.

We’re thinking the cutback might be due to a low waste goal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

We just got off the Volendam and noticed very few vegetable sides, and most were sauced or highly salted. Except for one night when they had green beans, most of the sides were grain or some sort of potato or parsnip. In the past there were usually 2-3 veggie sides offered as part of a selection in the MDR and those were also available in the Lido.
DH found 1carrot piece in a dish ( that featured carrots) he ordered In Canaletto.

We’re thinking the cutback might be due to a low waste goal.

I agree.  We now scour the menu in the MDR looking for those dishes with specialty vegetables then request a side of said vegetable.  DH is a fan of Brussels sprouts, something I refuse to cook, and he simply asks when it is on another entree.  Anyway, I think the vegetable focus is now at the salad bar and stir fry station.  We also grab vegetables from the salad bar and bring them to be stir fried , probably something they shouldn’t do but if it is a slow time they will

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

It seems to me that the most wasted item on HAL ships would be bread and rolls of various varieties.  I'd be curious to know how much bread goes to waste when I see huge displays of focaccia, yeast rolls, croissants,, etc on the Lido buffet.

BTW, I told the Executive Chef on Oosterdam I'd kill for a good Southern buttermilk biscuit and asked if they could teach someone in the bakery department how to make them.  He laughed and said he'd work on it, and maybe have some redeye gravy too.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

It seems to me that the most wasted item on HAL ships would be bread and rolls of various varieties.  I'd be curious to know how much bread goes to waste when I see huge displays of focaccia, yeast rolls, croissants,, etc on the Lido buffet.

BTW, I told the Executive Chef on Oosterdam I'd kill for a good Southern buttermilk biscuit and asked if they could teach someone in the bakery department how to make them.  He laughed and said he'd work on it, and maybe have some redeye gravy too.

Their famous bread pudding takes up a lot of that, also, croutons, crumbs, etc…. Bakery items are easy to recycle.  The purée old fruit as yogurt toppings and occasional cream soups.  They do make soups out of some of the overly ripe vegetables but some just go to waste.  Everyone likes but it squash soup but I don’t think the same can be said for green bean soup. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Their famous bread pudding takes up a lot of that, also, croutons, crumbs, etc…. Bakery items are easy to recycle.  The purée old fruit as yogurt toppings and occasional cream soups.  They do make soups out of some of the overly ripe vegetables but some just go to waste.  Everyone likes but it squash soup but I don’t think the same can be said for green bean soup. 

DH and I used to  joke about "cream of yesterday's vegetable" soup. As long as it hasn't gone out of the kitchen on a plate or to buffet station, excess food should be considered usable for some other dish. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I didn't think about the bread pudding.  I know everyone raves about it, but I'm not a big fan.  A savory casserole such as a stratta as a breakfast item would be a good use of some of the leftovers too.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DCThunder said:

I didn't think about the bread pudding.  I know everyone raves about it, but I'm not a big fan.  A savory casserole such as a stratta as a breakfast item would be a good use of some of the leftovers too.

Hey Mr. Thunder; you should try HA's bread pudding!  I will be hunting for some on my Jan '24 Eurodam cruise.  We are former Sunset Beach residents; now living way up in Holden Beach. 

Golfbaggers

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ExpatBride said:

Seeing food waste onboard is something I struggle with while cruising, though I think it's slightly better on HAL where they serve in the buffet vs. what I've seen on other lines. 

I volunteer locally to help reduce food waste. We collect food from 30 or so grocery stores 7 days a week and then redistribute it to refugees and other people in need. We also use some of the food to run a community kitchen. I've been doing this for almost 3 years now and I'm still shocked at the amount (and quality) of food that would be thrown in dumpsters if we didn't rescue and reroute it.

Keep up the good work. I volunteer at a food pantry, but that pales compared to what you do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2023 at 10:10 AM, DCThunder said:

The day after getting back from my recent SA cruise, I had a sausage biscuit and a bowl of cheese grits for breakfast.  I missed biscuits!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Roz said:

The day after getting back from my recent SA cruise, I had a sausage biscuit and a bowl of cheese grits for breakfast.  I missed biscuits!

Biscuits and onion rings.  I don’t get it.  The Dive In is so popular - why do t they have onion rings.   Don’t get me started on popcorn 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Roz said:

I just read in the local newspaper that this place Biscuitville | Home of the Biscuit Window Since 1966® is opening this summer about 4 miles from me.  I can't wait!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2023 at 8:10 AM, DCThunder said:

Have you ever heard of Bread Pudding? Waste not want not.  They do serve a pretty good one on HAL ships. 

On 5/8/2023 at 5:20 AM, ExpatBride said:

Our local SPROUTS markets donates slightly bruised or otherwise unsightly produce to various churches that then distribute to the needy.  It's important.

• Like 1