This seems like a deal...or am I just taking the bait? Princess Plus Upgrade

oregonn8v

31 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Might as well bring dress code into discussion also to round it out😂

30 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Well, that would also be a hijack.

27 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Which would never happen here😁

How about chair hogs, smoking on balconies and smuggling liquor on board via rum runners?  😉

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

To clarify, the per diem rate for MedallionNet is $15/day for single device as you were charged.  The other rate is a single day rate, which seems to be charged on a 1-off basis and not in the case of several days in a row such as the final three of the voyage.  (I would distinguish between the "per diem" rate and the "single day" rate when discussing MedallionNet fees).

Isn’t they what was written. It’s 20.00 or 10.00 if you just buy the single day here and there. 

1 hour ago, Happiest when cruising said:

Not intending to, I just wondered where that 12.00 figure came from. People do all sorts of things and since it was mentioned I thought it was a valid question. Apparently, we are not going to get an answer. 

Poster always declares he/she/they reduces crew appreciation and most often is in a suite.  There are not to many members who openly share this.  Stick around long enough and you will be able to categorize posters.  

I have my favorites and know who the “experts” are.

But getting back to the main topic…

Plus or Premier minus full price of wifi ($15/day) minus crew appreciation for select cabin will net cost of remaining allowance for beverages.

https://www.princess.com/html/global/disclaimers/crew-appreciation/

Then decide if you will consume enough to break even.  I got the plus at $40/day. I purchased plus at $50/day.  I locked in plus for remaining 2023 cruises at $50.  I also declined plus for 2 cruises.   

Plus would have cost me more than an upcoming drop and go 7 day cruise at $60/day.  I have enough obc to cover crew appreciation, WiFi, and a few drinks.  

It’s not always the cost, but you have to consider how port intensive the itinerary is AND convenience. 

I can only share my experiences with Plus.  Premier is out of reach for me.  I don’t need all those extras. 

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

How about chair hogs, smoking on balconies and smuggling liquor on board via rum runners?  😉

OP here. Just glad I got my question answered before we digressed. 🙂 

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

To clarify, the per diem rate for MedallionNet is $15/day for single device as you were charged.  The other rate is a single day rate, which seems to be charged on a 1-off basis and not in the case of several days in a row such as the final three of the voyage.  (I would distinguish between the "per diem" rate and the "single day" rate when discussing MedallionNet fees).

Good catch and better description!

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 8:34 AM, remydiva said:

You can order water ahead? Is a case 6 bottles or the costco sized 24? Is it delivered to your room?

You do order the water ahead of time via your personizer (located under beverage packages).  It is a 12 bottle case of Crystal Geyser .. 16 Oz bottles  
They are delivered to you in your stateroom.  
You won’t get the same price once you are onboard.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

You do order the water ahead of time via your personizer (located under beverage packages).  It is a 12 bottle case of Crystal Geyser .. 16 Oz bottles  

thanks that's good to know 😉

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 5/10/2023 at 11:59 AM, Cruise Raider said:

Thanks for that tip.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 6:16 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Thanks.  I didn't find a truffle hidden in my sundae.  Googled and didn't see anythng.

I’ve not seen SMiZE even advertised on board since it was first announced.  Those gelato concoctions are not Tyra Banks’ SMiZE cream.  It was announced on 11/06/2022 to “soon be available on all 15 Princess MedallionClass ships.”  I googled SMiZE and the Princess announcement was buried among many others about the ice cream.  I doesn’t appeal to me any more than those gelato offerings!  Just a plain sundae, please! 

On 5/9/2023 at 10:56 AM, remydiva said:

Thank you.

We just took a couple of empty bottles with us and refilled ( I brought a small funnel too) from glasses of water at buffet or pool. 
This would have been a good option as well. 

good option. The water treatment system onboard is a reverse osmosis system and the water is tested to make sure it is safe to drink. Bottled water does not have a requirement to be tested. You don't know where it was taken from, and often is just some city's tap water which you pay dearly for in those small plastic bottles.

We don’t drink much (alcohol wise) but found the package worthwhile (Heineken zero chips in @~$7)  A word of warning…don’t expect too much of the special deserts. We held almost everything but the ice cream to make them palatable. We loved Alfredo’s & I think that’s now paid for but included a couple of times with the plus package & a couple of coffees a day will soon mount up. 

Edited by Ranchi
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, minnesotasisu said:

good option. The water treatment system onboard is a reverse osmosis system and the water is tested to make sure it is safe to drink. Bottled water does not have a requirement to be tested. You don't know where it was taken from, and often is just some city's tap water which you pay dearly for in those small plastic bottles.

From several ship tours my understanding is fresh water is created by a distillation process, not reverse osmosis. Heat from the ship's engines is used to distill sea water. The distilled water is then passed through a mineralizer so it has a good taste. Ever drink distilled water? Yuck. IIRC a small amount of sanitizer is added as well and yes, it is tested. IMHO, the ship's water tastes as good as any bottled water.

3 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

From several ship tours my understanding is fresh water is created by a distillation process, not reverse osmosis. Heat from the ship's engines is used to distill sea water. The distilled water is then passed through a mineralizer so it has a good taste. Ever drink distilled water? Yuck. IIRC a small amount of sanitizer is added as well and yes, it is tested. IMHO, the ship's water tastes as good as any bottled water.

from the Princess website: Fresh water comes from two different sources: produced water (seawater that is either evaporated and re-condensed or produced by a reverse osmosis plant and treated with minerals and chlorine); or bunkered water, which is purchased from port communities and stored in designated potable water holding tanks. We bunker water from ports where we know water is plentiful, high in quality and costs less than the fuel needed to produce water onboard.

On 5/9/2023 at 5:54 AM, rojojacko said:

At the moment Princess Plus is half price, down to £25pppd, in the UK on selected cruises so a real no-brainer for us. 

Half price would work for us. We're Elite, so get 50% of internet, DH drinks an occasional Dirty Banana ($10 each - maybe $30 on a 7 day cruise). Used to switch the minibar for coffee pkg (that's gone). We'll miss the early AM stop at the IC, but the buffet is acceptable.

Just can't see a reason to fork over $50 or $60 dollars a day for all the other things that we won't take advantage of (fancy ice cream, exercise pkg, etc).

Our next 7 day will cost out-of-pocket less than $200 and our OBC will cover that.

7 hours ago, minnesotasisu said:

from the Princess website: Fresh water comes from two different sources: produced water (seawater that is either evaporated and re-condensed or produced by a reverse osmosis plant and treated with minerals and chlorine); or bunkered water, which is purchased from port communities and stored in designated potable water holding tanks. We bunker water from ports where we know water is plentiful, high in quality and costs less than the fuel needed to produce water onboard.

Well there you go! Thanks. They do it both ways, distillation as well as reverse osmosis. I'll bet it's the Royal class that does the reverse osmosis - I haven't had their tour yet.