New Crystal Financial Stabilty

offtoalaska

4 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I like Hamburgers with mustard.  Other like it with ketchup. But this is my opinion and that is all that matters and I don't need to be told I am wrong because it's been years since I put ketchup on a hamburger. It's my opinion as about 80-90% of what is posted on CC is.

I feel the need to put in a good word for mayonnaise!

Patty

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I like Hamburgers with mustard.  Other like it with ketchup. But this is my opinion and that is all that matters and I don't need to be told I am wrong because it's been years since I put ketchup on a hamburger. It's my opinion as about 80-90% of what is posted on CC is.

Me too!!!! DH likes mayo. And no ketchup for my fries either.🙄

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

Me too!!!! DH likes mayo. And no ketchup for my fries either.🙄

Mine likes mustard and mayo…sometimes dijonaise  

nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, saminina said:

If you're eating  a quality beef or bison burger, why distract with condiments?   

Often I say the same thing.

Lobster no butter.

Caviar just a bilini for me. 

Good point 

Next time no. Just ard just to change it up.  

Keith 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ctjon said:

Obviously not totally related but the new Explora Journey has cancelled a bunch of cruises this summer - sounds as if are having issues getting going.,

Explora has incredibly deep pockets.  Nothing seems financial in their decision last October to push the launch by 6 weeks; seems fully supply chain related in their ability to finish the first of 6 new builds. And they offered guest impacted both a full refund and 100% future cruise credit.  Since they pushed the launch many months ago they have consistently been updating guests on progress with a lot of detailed videos, suggesting their funding includes a fully staffed and budgeted marketing team.  Their website for booked guests is up and running to checkin and choose excursions.  Crystal’s marketing and rollout efforts don’t seem quite so…funded.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ctjon said:

Obviously not totally related but the new Explora Journey has cancelled a bunch of cruises this summer - sounds as if are having issues getting going.,

In addition to johng….’s above factual post…explora made changes to green summer 2024 itineraries, not cancelled just a major change of area as they are not going to Alaska, etc and will be in the med

Nancy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ctjon said:

OK didn't read the full Explorer threads but it said cancelled - guess they just changed itineraries

My apologies; I was reacting to your comment of changes to this summer (2023), which to me were pretty minor and were generously compensated.  Next summer (2024) changes were definitely more extensive as Nancy mentioned (e.g. replacing Alaska with Med), but at least was done well ahead of time and with a good rebooking offer (full credit plus and extra 40% FCC; if you ask for refund you get 100% refund + 20% FCC).  To me that seems generous, and another sign that any issues Explora might have are not from their financial situation.  With any new line (Crystal, Explora, Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, whoever) I'm more looking for how they react to issues rather than them having issues (they all will - look at the massive delays and underwhelming launch of Ritz Carlton Yachts).

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, johng75370 said:

Explora has incredibly deep pockets.  Nothing seems financial in their decision last October to push the launch by 6 weeks; seems fully supply chain related in their ability to finish the first of 6 new builds. And they offered guest impacted both a full refund and 100% future cruise credit.  Since they pushed the launch many months ago they have consistently been updating guests on progress with a lot of detailed videos, suggesting their funding includes a fully staffed and budgeted marketing team.  Their website for booked guests is up and running to checkin and choose excursions.  Crystal’s marketing and rollout efforts don’t seem quite so…funded.  

I am not sure how one qualifies this.

What I do know is Explora Jouney started with not many people and not a lot of details.

I actually booked a cruise in the early stages and know someone who was working with them in a key role with no one else but him.  

I would say most of what I learned was from a web event they did and a lot of that was high level with not a lot of detail. It sounded good. Otherwise I wouldn't have booked it. I did cancel after Crystal published its itineraries.  

I would say what we knew at the early stages is very similar for both companies.

Start ups have the challenge of when to ramp ups with hiring and that applies to most startups since they don't have a true revenue stream.  

I wish them success as I do new Crystal.

Keith

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

I would say what we knew at the early stages is very similar for both companies.

Start ups have the challenge of when to ramp ups with hiring and that applies to most startups since they don't have a true revenue stream.  

Yes.  It will be interesting to see how they both launch; Crystal's experienced staff and (relatively) known product should help a lot with overcoming issues.  I know experienced staff from other lines that have gone to Explora (and think highly of their hires), but it's a truly brand new product. My only disappointment with Crystal's launch so far is I think they've dropped the ball on early marketing efforts and not engaging better early-on with the OC passenger base, but that will soon be in the rearview mirror as they set sail.  I hope to be back on board Crystal soon, but Explora got my interest whet (and booking made) first.

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

All new start ups have some teething problems.

We have seen some issues before with other lines

and with new Crystal too….

Make no mistake as a cruise line they are a startup 

They had two ships (which needed major refurbishments to make them marketable) and a customer database and a tarnished brand

No back end systems or staff - just two examples of the major hurdles they faced in getting up and running 

• Like 5

On 5/27/2023 at 6:08 AM, Keith1010 said:

I am not sure how one qualifies this.

What I do know is Explora Jouney started with not many people and not a lot of details.

I actually booked a cruise in the early stages and know someone who was working with them in a key role with no one else but him.  

I would say most of what I learned was from a web event they did and a lot of that was high level with not a lot of detail. It sounded good. Otherwise I wouldn't have booked it. I did cancel after Crystal published its itineraries.  

I wish them success as I do new Crystal.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Just wondering what the main drivers were for you to cancel Explora and book on Crystal?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lord Haw Haw said:

Hi Keith,

Just wondering what the main drivers were for you to cancel Explora and book on Crystal?

Thanks in advance.

Friends on the Crystal sailing we booked.  Itinerary.  Pricing.  We prefer to sail with new Crystal.

Keith

25 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Friends on the Crystal sailing we booked.  Itinerary.  Pricing.  We prefer to sail with new Crystal.

Keith

Thanks, we considered doing the same. Travel companions are a very important part of cruising. Hope you enjoy your sailing.

On 5/26/2023 at 4:10 PM, ctjon said:

Alaska cruises and those cruises which were not selling well, were cancelled. Including mine out of Brasil. Reason? Due to popular demand from guests and travel agents, Explora I will stay in the Caribbean instead of going to South America.

Ivi