Have you cruised on celebrity BOTH in the americas AND Europe?

letsgogogo

If not, respectfully, please hold thoughts. Thank you! 

I am very familiar with celebrity's “smart casual” and “evening chic” definitions.  While I have traveled Europe previously, this will be our first cruise in Europe.  If you have cruised celebrity in Europe, do you notice any real difference in how people dress on the ship as compared to the Americas? In Europe, Europeans tend to generally dress with slightly more formality than the Americas, but have you observed the same on a celebrity cruise ship in Europe? Is it noticeably more formal or really just about the same?

I sailed out of Italy for Italy/Greek Islands and also Caribbean - to be honest for dinner I wore basically the same things.

I wore dresses and they were a mix of something from Amazon, Primark (UK Store) and a long dress from a Canadian store.

So I would say about the same, at least in my experience (that or I really didn't care what people thought). I had been chatting with a couple from Scotland while on the Italian cruise they were dressed up, she wore a formal gown and him a kilt (chic night). But that being said not everyone was as dressed up as them so it was a real mix of some people going all out and others like me that dressed up but not formally.

I treated like, what would I wear to a restaurant at home if going out for a nice dinner

• Like 3

Nope did 2 Caribbean and 1 Mediterranean on Celebrity . Everyone dressed business casual. In the Med after many long port days people were in capri pants,cute tops for ladies and chinos, golf shirts for men. Plus with luggage fees how they are now a days nobody is lugging formal wear with them.

• Like 2

I have done several Caribbean on X, including 3 Christmas/New Years as well as a Med out of Italy and a British Isles. 

I have worn the same sparkly black  (short) dresses on all three.

My husband has always worn a tux (until the cruise lines discontinued the rentals post-COVID), so he did without on the British Isles and just wore a long-sleeved dress shirt and tie. While there were some men in jackets/tuxes, most were dressed like DH. 

In Italy, the Europeans were dressier (tuxes/suits and long dresses) but the Americans tended to be less formal- luggage constraints.

Short answer is, you will see everything and everything, so dress in what you feel most comfortable for formal nights.

I’ve cruised celebrity in both Europe and USA. 
Definitely dressier in Europe, and not just on chic nights. I saw jeans and t-shirts in Blu for dinner whilst on a US cruise, never saw this in Europe. 
Of course jeans and a t-shirt fall within the dress code, and the people wearing them didn’t stick out, so the moral of the story is - wear what you want within the rules! 

• Like 2

We have cruised Celebrity in North America, the Caribbean, Europe and other destinations as well.  While it may have been common in the past to have passengers more "dressed up" on European itineraries my experience is that is no longer true.  I particularly remember the dress on a B2B2B2B series with the turnaround days always in Southhampton (so a significant number of folks from the UK as they didn't need to fly).  Surprisingly casual dress.

33 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

While it may have been common in the past to have passengers more "dressed up" on European itineraries my experience is that is no longer true.

Agree 100%.  Both of our European cruises were made up of passengers mostly from the US, Canada, and the UK.  Most dressed the same as we saw in the Caribbean.  Dressy casual was generally what we witnessed.  My husband packed his blazer and wore to dinner twice on our most recent Greek Isles cruise.  I have left mine at home for several years now.

2 hours ago, letsgogogo said:

If not, respectfully, please hold thoughts. Thank you! 

I am very familiar with celebrity's “smart casual” and “evening chic” definitions.  While I have traveled Europe previously, this will be our first cruise in Europe.  If you have cruised celebrity in Europe, do you notice any real difference in how people dress on the ship as compared to the Americas? In Europe, Europeans tend to generally dress with slightly more formality than the Americas, but have you observed the same on a celebrity cruise ship in Europe? Is it noticeably more formal or really just about the same?

It is pretty much the same.

In my experience, the biggest difference was NOT on Chic nights, it was on the ‘other’ nights. I think Brits and Europeans dress more nicely than we Americans do for dinner in general. JintyGirl was spot on!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, DingoMom said:

In my experience, the biggest difference was NOT on Chic nights, it was on the ‘other’ nights. I think Brits and Europeans dress more nicely than we Americans do for dinner in general. JintyGirl was spot on!t

This American agrees with you 100%. I generally don’t dress in Europe the same as I do when home. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

My husband packed his blazer and wore to dinner twice on our most recent Greek Isles cruise.  I have left mine at home for several years now.

I like to go carryon only on international. And our total trip is 2.5 weeks. Just no room for anything not necessary. I just didn’t want to be in a glaring minority wearing a sweater with biz casual pants on any and all nights. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, letsgogogo said:

I like to go carryon only on international. And our total trip is 2.5 weeks. Just no room for anything not necessary. I just didn’t want to be in a glaring minority wearing a sweater with biz casual pants on any and all nights. 

The chic nights are the dressiest nights, but I find that they really are not as glamorous as they sound.  A few people go all out with their outfits, but you will definitely blend in just fine.  People wear a wide range of wardrobe choices every night whether in the Med or Caribbean.  I always pack a zip-up cardigan sweater in case parts of the ship are chilly.  This has been a common occurrence for me on M-class and S-class ships in both locales.  In the Med with fewer sea days and long days off the ship touring in port, we use the ship more as a floating hotel versus a resort.  Our and passengers’ attire choices reflect this.  Definitely not necessary to pack sport coat or tie. My husband makes a habit of laundering quick-dry articles in the bathroom sink.  Enjoy your 2.5 weeks!

• Like 1

Aloha. We have been blessed to cruise Celebrity in the Americas to Bermuda and the Caribbean and Europe.  The European cruises are in my opinion a tad more dressy which I believe enhances the experience.  We have also sailed with Cunard on European voyages which is a step above. It really depends on what you feel comfortable with. Should you sail Celebrity you will not be disappointed. Enjoy!

10 hours ago, DingoMom said:

In my experience, the biggest difference was NOT on Chic nights, it was on the ‘other’ nights. I think Brits and Europeans dress more nicely than we Americans do for dinner in general. JintyGirl was spot on!

My wife loves to dress up regardless of the suggested dress code. I always complement her with my attire.

What others choose to wear, I really don't give a monkey's!

• Like 2

Seen “dress code violations” at every meal (usually Blu, sometimes specialties or the MDR) in both the Carribean and Europe.  Americans tend to dress the exact same which for men can include Tshirts or rash guards…Europeans men have slightly higher odds of wearing a collared polo/button down.  Another difference is European men often avoid hats of any kind 

9 hours ago, letsgogogo said:

We will be carrying on for our upcoming 3 weeks in Europe, although our cruise between land trips to France and Switzerland is on the Rhine!

We've done many European cruises on Celebrity. When we began with them, formal nights were definitely dressy, but since the change to "evening chic" my outfits now consist of black slacks, fancy flats or sandals and a glitzy top. I do observe that more cruisers on European itineraries dress formally even though that is not required. 

Posters on this forum may recall our tale of woe from several years ago. AirBerlin lost our luggage, after we stupidly decided to check our carryons! We scrambled to purchase clothing for our British Isle cruise and managed to survive without anyone giving us 😮dirty looks. A gold lame top changed up with a few silk scarves sufficed for me and DH found a few button-down shirts.

You will be fine!