Boarding zone H01???

Eli_6

I am platinum and checked in at midnight ET 16 days before.  I literally was hitting refresh until it allowed me to check in at 11 pm central time (midnight ET) and went straight to arrival appointment time and could not select any earlier than 12:30-1.  My boarding zone is H01.  This is for Europe Pride on May 28th. We are debarking late--at 7.  Is 12:30 the first arrival appointment time?  If so, why is my boarding group H01 and not A01 or, at least, B01?  

I don't care that much because we are in Barcelona and it isn't like there are a lack of fun things to do, but I just found it strange.  Is the H simply because it is the 12:30 slot and do they completely skip over the A, B, etc.?

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I am platinum and checked in at midnight ET 16 days before.  I literally was hitting refresh until it allowed me to check in at 11 pm central time (midnight ET) and went straight to arrival appointment time and could not select any earlier than 12:30-1.  My boarding zone is H01.  This is for Europe Pride on May 28th. We are debarking late--at 7.  Is 12:30 the first arrival appointment time?  If so, why is my boarding group H01 and not A01 or, at least, B01?  

I don't care that much because we are in Barcelona and it isn't like there are a lack of fun things to do, but I just found it strange.  Is the H simply because it is the 12:30 slot and do they completely skip over the A, B, etc.?

Ours is "D10" for the Celebration next weekend. That caught my attention as well. Our boarding time (made 16 days prior) was 11-11:30, the earliest I'm aware of.

Tom

• Like 2

I would guess that Carnival has set boarding groups for each time slot, and that they don't change the numbering to match the first slot.  Their IT infrastructure might not be able to handle changing numbering.  That or it is a cost cutting measure.  Or both.

• Like 1

From my understanding, being platinum, your check time can be the last time offered, the last boarding group. You can arrive anytime you wish, enter the terminal and go through the priority line for Ds& Ps. We have arrived a few times after our check in time and went through the priority line. Carnival will cancel this procedure when there are too many Diamonds and Platinums on a cruise. Then you just get on one line. This has happened to us twice. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skrufy said:

From my understanding, being platinum, your check time can be the last time offered, the last boarding group. You can arrive anytime you wish, enter the terminal and go through the priority line for Ds& Ps. We have arrived a few times after our check in time and went through the priority line. Carnival will cancel this procedure when there are too many Diamonds and Platinums on a cruise. Then you just get on one line. This has happened to us twice. 

I am pretty sure that is what we are going to do. I got the first slot, but I think we are going to do things in Barcelona and not show up right away so that the other P&D's clear out first. I have a suspicion that this cruise will be heavy on the P&Ds. 

• Like 2

Even with the first checkin appts being 12:30-1p, the boarding passes still say

"Stateroom access will be available at 1:30 PM for all guests, including VIFP Diamond and Platinum."

which will be great if it all works out that way. I guess with an empty ship coming off dry dock, they will have the crew on with enough time to prep all the cabins sooner rather than later.

11 hours ago, txcruiser1234 said:

Even with the first checkin appts being 12:30-1p, the boarding passes still say

"Stateroom access will be available at 1:30 PM for all guests, including VIFP Diamond and Platinum."

which will be great if it all works out that way. I guess with an empty ship coming off dry dock, they will have the crew on with enough time to prep all the cabins sooner rather than later.

Other people who have gone on a cruise after a dry dock say all the cabins are ready immediately.  

However, I still think that a bunch of P&Ds and suites who will show up right at 12:30 given my past experience cruising in Europe.  Half the boat is p&d.  Plus, there won't be any B2B already on board since this is the first cruise after dry dock. On these cruises, a lot of people do b2b2b.  I may even change my boarding time to 2 or 3.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Other people who have gone on a cruise after a dry dock say all the cabins are ready immediately.

Good to hear! Fingers still crossed she gets out of dd on time...

After a Saturday night out in Barcelona (big concert crowd in town too), we'll probably just check out, take a leisurely ramble down La Rambla to the port area, hop on the ship and... take a nap! We had a journeys cruise on the Miracle in Feb that was mostly Ps&Ds, but the Ps were still on board 10mins after boarding started - hoping for similar results here.

• Like 2

Okay @Eli_6, you need right now to gear yourself up for Platinum meaning absolutely nothing (except laundry) on a European cruise. On day #1 you and your family will be assigned alternate day 'Ben Hur' rowing position #41 down on deck zero as decreed by the Diamonds. You understand.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Haha 4

Don't worry @Eli_6!  I'll be rowing as well, with my newly minted Platinum card.

Actually, looking forward to the laundry as we will have spent a week in Spain prior to boarding.  Group of 6 (ages 12-75) with 4 Platinums and 2 lowly Golds.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mdsgu said:

Don't worry @Eli_6!  I'll be rowing as well, with my newly minted Platinum card.

Actually, looking forward to the laundry as we will have spent a week in Spain prior to boarding.  Group of 6 (ages 12-75) with 4 Platinums and 2 lowly Golds.

Oh, for my family and I, the laundry is the best perk!   (Also, another reason we sail carnival is it is one of the only lines that still has self-serve laundromats on most of its ships.)

Plus, with all that rowing, we will need to do a lot of laundry. 

Edited by Eli_6
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Oh, for my family and I, the laundry is the best perk!   (Also, another reason we sail carnival is it is one of the only lines that still has self-serve laundromats on most of its ships.)

Plus, with all that rowing, we will need to do a lot of laundry. 

But the good news is that you'll be able to afford the calories of that 2nd dessert!

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2023 at 1:04 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Ours is "D10" for the Celebration next weekend. That caught my attention as well. Our boarding time (made 16 days prior) was 11-11:30, the earliest I'm aware of.

Tom

Wonder what is going on. I was on the Celebration last month and had a 10am boarding time. We were on this ship before 11. 

9 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Wonder what is going on. I was on the Celebration last month and had a 10am boarding time. We were on this ship before 11. 

Someone on our roll call said that they heard (probably from one of the large FB groups) that there was "staff change" going on, or something along those lines. Not sure what that's about, as that occurs most every sailing. There's probably some reason for it, but if we'll ever be privy to that is anyone's guess!

Tom

2 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Someone on our roll call said that they heard (probably from one of the large FB groups) that there was "staff change" going on, or something along those lines. Not sure what that's about, as that occurs most every sailing. There's probably some reason for it, but if we'll ever be privy to that is anyone's guess!

Tom

Sounds about right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Oh that makes sense, Lee is headed to Memphis this week for the Cruise Director's conference. 

7 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Oh that makes sense, Lee is headed to Memphis this week for the Cruise Director's conference. 

Interesting --- shouldn't they have a CD conference onboard though? lol 

(yes, I'm sure they look forward to getting back onto land at some point) 🙂

Tom

On its face, it sounds like everything is still on schedule. Just a reminder not to show up early?

GUEST ADVISORY

EMBARKATION UPDATE
CARNIVAL PRIDE – MAY 28, 2023

May 16, 2023

Dear Carnival Pride Guest,

As you prepare for your cruise, we have some important information regarding our embarkation plans.

Carnival Pride will be returning to service after the completion of dry dock (scheduled maintenance) and the team will be offloading equipment before boarding begins. Embarkation will remain as planned, but all guests must adhere to their pre-selected arrival appointments. Guests who arrive earlier will be asked to return at their set time.

For your convenience, if necessary, you may drop off your luggage at the cruise terminal and return to explore Barcelona, while you wait for your arrival appointment. Please remember to keep your travel documents and any medication you may need with you. 

In preparation for departure, all guests must be on board by 6:00 PM. Thanks for your cooperation and see you soon.  

Sincerely,

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimage.carnivalcru
Colleen Oliverio
VP, Guest Services - Contact Centers
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 12:56 PM, asalligo said:

We have our answer...

i-rNxr9ZB.jpg

Tom

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

We have our answer...

This would really bother me. I know it should not as Carnival has no choice or control over this inspection, but if this is my cruise, I just lost two hours on the ship. Two precious hours. 

4 minutes ago, asalligo said:

This would really bother me. I know it should not as Carnival has no choice or control over this inspection, but if this is my cruise, I just lost two hours on the ship. Two precious hours. 

Well, they could always skip the inspections... 🚣‍♂️

592.gif

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Well, they could always skip the inspections... 🚣‍♂️

See, that is all I am asking. Skip the inspections and muster drills and get those pesky lifeboats out of my sightline. We go down with a smile on our face when she sinks. No one drowns with an outstanding balance though. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, asalligo said:

See, that is all I am asking. Skip the inspections and muster drills and get those pesky lifeboats out of my sightline. We go down with a smile on our face when she sinks. No one drowns with an outstanding balance though. 

Nah, you won't drown. You still have your orange floatie. Besides, I bet you would get at least $100 OBC on a future cruise if the ship sank.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Nah, you won't drown. You still have your orange floatie. Besides, I bet you would get at least $100 OBC on a future cruise if the ship sank.  

And they'd prorate a refund on the (sunken) ship !

Tom

• Haha 1