What ship will be sailing from Southampton in 2025?

3 hours ago, Tatra603 said:

I don't object to the continuation of a Quantum class in Southampton, although it's far from my favourite class of ship. 

But it wasn't that long ago that RC had two ships homeporting, Indy and a Voyager class. 

I would love to see the return of a second ship, a Voyager class or even better, a Radiance class which would allow us RC regulars a chance to mix it up a bit. 

Hello,

Brilliance of the Seas did sail out of Harwich.

Regards,

Cublet

1 hour ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Brilliance of the Seas did sail out of Harwich.

Regards,

Cublet

Hi Cublet,

Thanks.

Given my location, it would be madness for me to not use Southampton when doing a UK cruise.

I can walk to the terminal from the IOW ferry which docks right next to it.

I do love the Radiance class, though.

4 hours ago, Tatra603 said:

I don't object to the continuation of a Quantum class in Southampton, although it's far from my favourite class of ship. 

But it wasn't that long ago that RC had two ships homeporting, Indy and a Voyager class. 

I would love to see the return of a second ship, a Voyager class or even better, a Radiance class which would allow us RC regulars a chance to mix it up a bit. 

So you want Royal to send two twenty years old ships instead? If this happens I am sure many Brits here will complain that Royal places old ships in the UK and others send their newest and biggest.

I still don' t understand why all Brits complain that they are bored with Anthem as she has sailed from the UK only for three years now since 2021...

An Oasis class ship I assume all complaining Brits have in mind will never be able to offer any cruises to Scandinavia and Iceland or around the UK.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

So you want Royal to send two twenty years old ships instead? If this happens I am sure many Brits here will complain that Royal places old ships in the UK and others send their newest and biggest.

I still don' t understand why all Brits complain that they are bored with Anthem as she has sailed from the UK only for three years now since 2021...

An Oasis class ship I assume all complaining Brits have in mind will never be able to offer any cruises to Scandinavia and Iceland or around the UK.

For me, the age of the ship is of little importance.

I'm fully aware that an Oasis class would be totally unsuitable.

Other Brits might feel differently.

1 minute ago, GlasgowCruiser01 said:

Thought that Royal had the right idea to initially have Anthem and Independence in Southampton for 2020. One for people who wanted something newer, and one for traditionalists. Shame it never materialised.

Perhaps Odyssey with a Voyager Class ship might work?

I fail to see the Brit's obsession with Indie!  Especially after her modernisation.  

I also like the idea of Odyssey with something smaller - personally I am a Radiance class fan and that would be ideal for Norway.  Fondly remembering Brilliance and Jewel who did those itineraries from Harwich!

• Like 1

About blinking time but 2 years late in my book. We have been cruising with RCI for over 20 years and since 2008 out of Southampton, have been on Anthem 3 times and so done with the same old same old entertainment , how many times can you sit through We Will Rock you and Spectres wots it's name ?? Then you have the repeats of the headliner entertainment , rarely changes there. 

I do like the adults only Solarium,  our free wifi perk and the cabin storage . Speciality restaurants are now way overpriced on RCI unless you purchase a dining package . 

We are not flying anywhere at the moment so currently our money is being spent elsewhere and getting better value for money to boot . 

If a good deal comes up on Odyssey then we will book for the change in entertainment but you can keep Anthem .

P.S. we did some of those winter Indie 18 nighters , £669 for an inside cabin, they were losing money left right and centre !! 

Edited by heatherb1958
  • Like 2

I do think Odysssey will do really well from the UK. Very new ship with lots of differences to Anthem even though its the same class. Anthem was our favourite ship until we sailed on Odyssey last year.

I also happen to agree that a smaller ship (radiance class is perfect size) which was able to do more varied itineraries could do very well from Southampton alongside Odyssey. We are big fans of Jewel - i wish they would do the Iceland etc itineraries from Southampton . 

55 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

About blinking time but 2 years late in my book. We have been cruising with RCI for over 20 years and since 2008 out of Southampton, have been on Anthem 3 times and so done with the same old same old entertainment , how many times can you sit through We Will Rock you and Spectres wots it's name ?? Then you have the repeats of the headliner entertainment , rarely changes there. 

I do like the adults only Solarium,  our free wifi perk and the cabin storage . Speciality restaurants are now way overpriced on RCI unless you purchase a dining package . 

We are not flying anywhere at the moment so currently our money is being spent elsewhere and getting better value for money to boot . 

If a good deal comes up on Odyssey then we will book for the change in entertainment but you can keep Anthem .

P.S. we did some of those winter Indie 18 nighters , £669 for an inside cabin, they were losing money left right and centre !! 

I agree! I did Anthem out of Southampton in 2015 which I loved, but when I looked at it again for this year it still has ALL the same entertainment! 8 years later! Not for me! 🤣

Edited by shopaholic6
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Jon_Jen said:

I think anthem has a covered pool, partly in respect of being able to use whilst in Northern European ports, will this also then be fitted to odyssey if to be homeported in Southampton?

No, but I imagine the amount of Northern Europe cruises to shrink significantly from 2026, when the Norwegian Fjord cruise ban comes into force. This might cause a bit of an issue and a busy solarium in 2025, but I imagine Royal will focus on ‘warmer’ cruises to France, Spain, Portugal and Canary Islands from then onwards, as I can’t really see that there would be a market for Northern Europe (e.g. Belgium, Germany and Netherlands) cruises throughout the summer. 

On 5/15/2023 at 7:45 AM, gumshoe958 said:

Very unlikely to happen. 

Oasis class is too big for many of the ports served from Southampton.

Anything smaller than Quantum class is a downgrade and puts Royal at a distinct competitive disadvantage. 

Oasis has sailed out of Southampton in the past

• Like 1

7 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

Anthem will have been at Cape Liberty for 8.5 years when she departs in May 2024.  Yes, there have been other ships during the summer/fall the past several years, but she's been the only winter ship since November 2015.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

Anthem will have been at Cape Liberty for 8.5 years when she departs in May 2024.  Yes, there have been other ships during the summer/fall the past several years, but she's been the only winter ship since November 2015.

Based on numerous complaints by our friends across the pond in this thread and many others before, I expect the complaints about Odyssey  having the same production shows will begin once  someone sails Odyssey  for the second time.

Edited by meadowlander
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

Hello,

My one and only claim to fame is that I announced to the world, or to anyone reading CC, that the last two Indy 18night  'Ultimate Mediterranean' cruises had been cancelled to be replaced by 3 x 12 night canaries.

One of the things I don't like about Anthem is the back of 'bars' as opposed to 'pubs' - in particular something like the Champagne Bar on Indy. This should not be confused with the Champagne Bar on MSC Virtuosa where we got through 700 bottles in one night last month!

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 2

4 hours ago, meadowlander said:

Based on numerous complaints by our friends across the pond in this thread and many others before, I expect the complaints about Odyssey  having the same production shows will begin once  someone sails Odyssey  for the second time.

For a few years RCI had 2 ships out of Southampton so at least there was some choice and could mix it up . Other cruise lines have been bringing in their newest ships to Southampton or established UK lines have brought out new ships  and winning customers over. We said we wouldn't cruise P&O as it was too British but they have new ships  and older ships with interesting itineraries even out of the UK, doing a cruise that goes to the Outer Hebrides in July.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cublet said:

Hello,

My one and only claim to fame is that I announced to the world, or to anyone reading CC, that the last two Indy 18night  'Ultimate Mediterranean' cruises had been cancelled to be replaced by 3 x 12 night canaries.

One of the things I don't like about Anthem is the back of 'bars' as opposed to 'pubs' - in particular something like the Champagne Bar on Indy. This should not be confused with the Champagne Bar on MSC Virtuosa where we got through 700 bottles in one night last month!

Regards,

Cublet

Yes I remember when that happened , the 18 nighter over Xmas and New year was split and made into 2 separate cruises and the price rocketed . Friends were booked on it and cancelled . 

Hello,

Sorry to report a typo in my post #41 above: I was bemoaning the LACK of 'bars' not the 'back' of bars - there are too many pub style drinking establishments not 'cocktail bar' types. Bolero's is a music venue and the poor Schooner bar is downright depressing having a corridor cutting through it.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Sorry to report a typo in my post #41 above: I was bemoaning the LACK of 'bars' not the 'back' of bars - there are too many pub style drinking establishments not 'cocktail bar' types. Bolero's is a music venue and the poor Schooner bar is downright depressing having a corridor cutting through it.

Regards,

Cublet

I understood what you meant  🙂 😎

Edited by heatherb1958

As I read through the comments it seems there is a wide variety of preferences expressed.   That leaves me curious.  

How did Indy's open air and uncovered solarium work out in Southampton?  Do enclosed solariums work better such as Radiance and Quantum class? 

I see opinions panning Odyssey for it's uncovered pool yet Indy has uncovered pools and so many loved Indy in Southampton.  

I've never thought much of the MDR on the original Quantum class but the Quantum Ultra ships, Spectrum and Odyssey that have an open and beautiful MDR that is a major upgrade.  Is this something that might appeal to Southampton cruisers when Odyssey arrives? 

Indy still has Grease for it's main theater show.  Is that a preferred musical?  Did cruisers not get tired of that show like they are of WWRY on Anthem?  The Effectors on Odyssey is a high tech show but I am unsure how it will be received by UK guests.  Thoughts? 

How do the numbers look on a typical Southampton cruise in reference to guest source countries?  In the Med there is typically a strong contingent made up from North American fly in guests.  Do Southampton cruises share this characteristic?  

As a fly in guest I'd love to have more Southampton options but the transfer to and from the port have always seemed to be a more difficult task.  What am I missing?  Is there an easy or preferred way to get there from LHR? 

TIA. 

1 hour ago, heatherb1958 said:

For a few years RCI had 2 ships out of Southampton so at least there was some choice and could mix it up . Other cruise lines have been bringing in their newest ships to Southampton or established UK lines have brought out new ships  and winning customers over. We said we wouldn't cruise P&O as it was too British but they have new ships  and older ships with interesting itineraries even out of the UK, doing a cruise that goes to the Outer Hebrides in July.  

Yes. I thought it was just me.

When I use that exact phrase to explain to my cruise friends why I'm not keen on P&O (despite doing a lot more to woo UK cruisers than RC), I get baffled looks.

It's just all a bit too "Land of Hope and Glory" for me. Not to Cunard levels, obviously, but I would never consider them for many reasons, not just financial.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 12:20 AM, Billy Baltic said:

+1. We sailed from Southampton to the med on Independence. It was June but everyone was inside for the first 2 sea days as it was too wet to be outside. It was not something I’d like to repeat. 

Just done Symphony ex BCN. The one and only sea day (yesterday) was cool, rainy  cloudy and rocky. Seemed OK inside, we went to the captains talk, an amazing magic show and Flight show. Hubs went to gym and I walked the track. The whole cruise was a mixed bag of weather

Think they could definitely do winter cruises ex Lisbon or BCN to Canaries and Maderia 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Just done Symphony ex BCN. The one and only sea day (yesterday) was cool, rainy  cloudy and rocky. Seemed OK inside, we went to the captains talk, an amazing magic show and Flight show. Hubs went to gym and I walked the track. The whole cruise was a mixed bag of weather

Think they could definitely do winter cruises ex Lisbon or BCN to Canaries and Maderia 

RCI have tried the all year round season out of BCN with Brilliance  and Malaga with Adventure . They couldn't fill the ships and we had some fantastic deals back then , 2008 onwards for a couple of years . 

• Like 2