Does a travel agent help with Silversea or better to book direct?

homeatlast

Have you tried searching the forums or even just scrolling back over recent topics - this comes up regularly and has been answered a thousand times already 

For me I’d use a good TA every time - access to their knowledge across multiple travel items and a healthy rebate or obc to enjoy 

A good TA can save you money, time and headache.  If they are affiliated with a large consortium there can be perks such as comped hotel nights, hotel upgrades, usually breakfast included and hotel credits.  They can search flights for you and book without charging extra fees.  They can call SS on your behalf with questions you may have.  If you were using SS Air that is especially important as they can be difficult to contact.  A well-travelled TA can offer excellent advice on itinerary pre and post cruise hotel/guide recommendations and airport transport.  It’s definitely worth having an advocate if there are problems before or during your travels.  None of these perks will add any additional cost to your trip.

I have an extensive trip coming up and my TA provided an extra hotel night and a full day private tour in my final city.  Breakfast is always included and we almost always have an upgraded room or suite and hotel credit along with early check-in and late check-out.  There are usually gifts along the way as well.

By the way, I lifted most of this post from a post I made on another thread in this forum.  You can always just create a search in a forum for info as so many questions have been asked before.

Happy Trails!

Go with a good TA.  Against the rules to mention names on this forum but with a little research you can probably figure it out.  In my experience and many others here, the SS agents are very responsive up until they receive your deposit. After that they play hard to get. 

I have tried both in-house and external agents and while the in-house Silversea agent was good I have gotten much better support and incentives from my external TA.  Been with the same external agent for 10 years and won’t change until we quit cruising or she retires.   👍😀

When everything is going smoothly, a cruise-ship rep is just fine.  But when anything goes wrong a great travel agent has clout with the cruise line, and is easier to reach 24/7 when you need them.  Or you can go with one that gives 8-10% rebate.  I have one of each.  What I haven't found is one who combines both benefits...

• Like 3

14 hours ago, homeatlast said:

What sort of help can the agent provide?

In the end, I think I could have booked the cruise myself for the same price, but decided it helps to keep a TA employed for when I do need her.  I think she was helpful with travel insurance, which is important with such an $$$ cruise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

When everything is going smoothly, a cruise-ship rep is just fine.  But when anything goes wrong a great travel agent has clout with the cruise line, and is easier to reach 24/7 when you need them.  Or you can go with one that gives 8-10% rebate.  I have one of each.  What I haven't found is one who combines both benefits...

Exactly my experience. I have both as well.  On our upcoming trip I am using the agent with clout and I had my first choice of flights booked within a day.  I use the other agent for less involved trips and get a nice discount. 

I've used a travel agent for booking every Silversea cruise.  It's been useful when problems do crop up.  In the past I've gotten a few benefits, like hotel upgrades, breakfasts, etc., but not the last couple of times.  

I wouldn't mind switching to another, but although some people say you just do a quick Google search and you'll find the good ones, I must be Internet incompetent because I haven't been able to find an alternative.

Host Jazz's post is generally right.  It took us time, over eight years-- going through three TA's.  We did find the right Travel Agent (for last 12 years) who provides a uber healthy rebate but more than $ and cents, provides service above and beyond the call due to their experience and scale (i.e. clout with most luxury cruiselines, mass market lines and most land tour companies). 

For example when our near 19  year old furson/dog died while I was on the Silver Cloud last month, and when one of us travels, the other stayed home with our dog.  So, to assist my DW with the loss of our beloved companion, our TA was trying to book her with eight days notice to join me on my  Cloud second segment (Capetown to Mahe) from a back to back (Puerto Williams to Capetown).

Both the President of Silversea and Senior Executive for Silversea in the U.S. told our Travel Agency owner they would do anything our Travel Agency/Agent needed to get my wife booked on a Capetown to Mahe voyage to join me.  We had a wonderful voyage thanks to the care/concern of our TA and Agency owner and Silversea leaders (both in Florida and on board).  One other example of this TA's 360 service (pre, during, post cruise).  Even tho I had include BC air home from Capetown, our TA also paid for Biz Class seats home for me when stuck on the Silver Cloud in Capetown in March 2020 when Silver Air could not help fellow Silver cloud guest for five days as Silver Air was swamped getting World Cruisers and Shadow cruisers home from Australia and Brazil respectively.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

@indoorsy welcome to Cruise Critic.  It is against CC guidelines to ask for, provide, offer off-line, or even hint at Travel Agent/Agency names.

oh my gosh, I am so sorry. newbie mistake. I will see if I can delete the message. sooo sorry!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, indoorsy said:

oh my gosh, I am so sorry. newbie mistake. I will see if I can delete the message. sooo sorry!

It is already gone. Host Jazzbeau deleted it.

Edited by gnome12

On 5/16/2023 at 11:43 AM, Rothko1 said:

I've used a travel agent for booking every Silversea cruise.  It's been useful when problems do crop up.  In the past I've gotten a few benefits, like hotel upgrades, breakfasts, etc., but not the last couple of times.  

I wouldn't mind switching to another, but although some people say you just do a quick Google search and you'll find the good ones, I must be Internet incompetent because I haven't been able to find an alternative.

It's been incredibly frustrating trying to find the right fit (and honest, I am really easy to work with!!!).

Even a TA with an agency that was highly recommended elsewhere for Silversea is not off to a great start for my latest booking. She didn't notice that Silversea had not applied the Venetian Society discount (which was mentioned in my initial inquiry) and I've had to follow up twice over several weeks before it was finally applied. And am having to the same regarding the AmEx Platinum benefits.  

But I'd still recommend using a TA because they can take care of things when issues crop up. 

I have found that many TA's do it as hobby and not as a vocation.  They do it to get TA discounts on their own cruises and other travel.  Many have their own agency name but it's associated with a large well know agency, local or national.  They often work from home and can be difficult to reach on a timely basis especially at odd hours when a problem arises and you need them.  If you find a good one who responds to your calls and emails on a timely basis hold on to him/her.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

It's been incredibly frustrating trying to find the right fit (and honest, I am really easy to work with!!!).

Even a TA with an agency that was highly recommended elsewhere for Silversea is not off to a great start for my latest booking. She didn't notice that Silversea had not applied the Venetian Society discount (which was mentioned in my initial inquiry) and I've had to follow up twice over several weeks before it was finally applied. And am having to the same regarding the AmEx Platinum benefits.  

But I'd still recommend using a TA because they can take care of things when issues crop up. 

I totally understand and accepted the fact that I am much more detail oriented and precise than the agents (even the good ones like you said) so I use one that is very responsive, gives me some good tips but most importantly has a direct line to SS to book air/make changes/resolve issues in less than a day.  

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 5:09 PM, gcornell said:

I totally understand and accepted the fact that I am much more detail oriented and precise than the agents (even the good ones like you said) so I use one that is very responsive, gives me some good tips but most importantly has a direct line to SS to book air/make changes/resolve issues in less than a day.  

Sounds like you have found a gem! They're definitely out there; just a lot of trial and error to find them.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are on a Silversea cruise you will receive a 5 per cent discount to book on board. I just booked on board our last day and transferred the booking to a travel agent who offered free  travel insurance. You can shop after the booking for the best offer from different agencies. Just let them know that is what you are doing when you book.

Gangway

• 11 months later...

Have had nothing but trouble booking directly with Silversea. Horrible.  Literally badger you until you book.  Promise you one cabin and switch it on you.  Then stops responding to you. Don't do it.  Take another cruise line.

So far I have booked direct- without any issues, I might add.

Now we can't mention names of travel agents. So I went to this website that would get you competing bids from travel agents (won't put THAT name in here, either). Got some bids, some identical to what I was seeing from Silversea direct, one actually higher. And then I started thinking- I don't know these guys, and I'm supposed to give them a credit card for thousands of dollars? It's not like the old days when we had a travel agent on the shopping street where we could walk in and see a real person.

So I went direct, again. And I guess I'm wondering if there would be much of a rebate or perk for me, anyway. I book almost the cheapest cabin in port to port. Always book my own flights (day or so in advance) and my own hotels. Maybe it wouldn't make much difference.

• Like 1